Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Outlaws, Fastest in America

53 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Just about all 64 of those cars are "crazy fast." I think any of them could beat any other of them at any given time. 

I think they're running about like 1968 or '69 nitro fuel funny cars, maybe even faster. That's just crazy fast, as you put it, for doorslammers! 

a few of the big dogs have ran 6.00s in the 1/4 mile at well over 230mph

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, IIRC, next week's loser bracket will have Chief, Daddy Dave, and Disco Dean among others in it. Mike Murillo, too? I forget. 

I've been done with Larry Larson since he started that fight with someone on NPK a couple years ago. About the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen. :angry:

Was Murillo running in that?  I haven’t really been watching it much, but had seen he was in the hospital with Covid and just got out a couple weeks ago.

45 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Was Murillo running in that?  I haven’t really been watching it much, but had seen he was in the hospital with Covid and just got out a couple weeks ago.

I think this was taped months ago--last summer or fall, since they couldn't do NPK very much last year. 

Forgot to mention that Kye Kelly will be in next week's loser bracket. He was sick this week and had to take an automatic loss. Definitely one of the heavy hitters. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Forgot to mention that Kye Kelly will be in next week's loser bracket. He was sick this week and had to take an automatic loss. Definitely one of the heavy hitters. 

I heard he is building a new car that will be procharged instead of nitrous.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:10 PM, Scott8950 said:

I heard he is building a new car that will be procharged instead of nitrous.

He didn't make last night's show either, so I guess that makes two losses and he's out. 

Haven't seen all of last night's show yet, but I did see Mike Murillo, Disco Dean, and Doc get sent home. Doc sure took the wrong 7 Dwarfs name. He should be known as Grumpy. Oh wait, that wouldn't work, Grumpy is a name associated in drag racing with winning. Maybe "Whiney" would work for him. Or "Crabby." Or "Cranky." :lol:

Very sorry to see what happened to Kamikaze on the 405 show, too. 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

He didn't make last night's show either, so I guess that makes two losses and he's out. 

Haven't seen all of last night's show yet, but I did see Mike Murillo, Disco Dean, and Doc get sent home. Doc sure took the wrong 7 Dwarfs name. He should be known as Grumpy. Oh wait, that wouldn't work, Grumpy is a name associated in drag racing with winning. Maybe "Whiney" would work for him. Or "Crabby." Or "Cranky." :lol:

Very sorry to see what happened to Kamikaze on the 405 show, too. 

Yea i really hated that for kamikaze Chris but he already has a new ride and is back racing.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Edited by Scott8950

Finished watching this week's show. Big Chief's on the trailer, and by the slimmest of margins imaginable ("tire crack"). I wonder if Boosted got a special pleasure out of ruling against Chief. 

Oh well, Daddy Dave squeaked by on exactly the same thing. 

Next week we see what Birdman is driving. 

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Finished watching this week's show. Big Chief's on the trailer, and by the slimmest of margins imaginable ("tire crack"). I wonder if Boosted got a special pleasure out of ruling against Chief. 

Oh well, Daddy Dave squeaked by on exactly the same thing. 

Next week we see what Birdman is driving. 

chief and Brent self both and they looked to be the fastest 2 in the losers bracket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 6:48 PM, Scott8950 said:

Now here's the thing that i don't like about this fastest in America

#1 You can't have fastest in America without the 405! not possible

#2 Memphis should have been in the elimination rounds as well!

Both your complaints got addressed in Mega Cash Days. (For those who haven't been watching, 64 cars from all over America.) 

SPOILER ALERT: Stop reading now if you haven't yet seen the March 1 show. 

The 405 was represented by Chief, Dave, Ryan Martin, Murder Nova, Monza, Doc, Dominator, Chuck, and Jeff Lutz. That's nine, and all have been eliminated except Ryan Martin in the winner bracket and Murder Nova and Daddy Dave in the losers. 

Memphis brought JJ, Trisha, Don Gingrich, Dennis Bailey, Anthony Smith, and Lee Robertson, for six. JJ, Trisha and Dennis Bailey are still alive in the winner bracket, and Anthony Smith in the losers. Axman seems to have joined the Memphis crew at some point, and he's still in the losers bracket too. 

From what I've seen, looks like Ryan Martin and Larry Larsen are the real heavy hitters, the cars to beat. 

Birdman didn't accomplish much in Boosted's car. 

Both Dennis Bailey and Anthony Smith continue to impress me. They don't make much noise, but durned if they both don't get down the road just about every time! 

Edited by Snake45

It's like Real Housewives of _________ County, but with "street" cars., less wine and fake nails, and more drama. 😄

I guess they are milking the last few drops from the reality TV cash cow while they still can. Too bad shows like this do a huge disservice to legitimate racing organizations which promote safety and education rather than quick dollars and drama. I understand why the latter appeals to people, but it would be nice to have a show which raises, rather than lowers, the bar for automotive enthusiasts. I guess when Edd left Wheelers & Dealers the writing was on the wall. 

Edited by Casey

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's like Real Housewives of _________ County, but with "street" cars., less wine and fake nails, and more drama. 😄

So you don't actually watch the show, then. :unsure:

Truth to tell, from time to time I've talked The Lovely Mrs. Snake into watching this by saying "Don't worry about the cars, just think of this as one of your Real Housewives shows and concentrate on the personalities, you'll love it." This is mainly true of the 405 show. :lol:

I'm constantly impressed by the sportsmanship and brotherhood of these guys (especially the Memphis crew). They'll often go above and beyond to help another racer, even one who's just beaten them. 

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

So you don't actually watch the show, then. 

I have have seen parts of various episodes-- enough to understand what the show is about and know it's not something I'd choose to spend my time watching. The formula for reality shows is rather straightforward by now, and like I said, while I understand why it appeals to the masses, it's still disappointing to see the amped up drama, staged shoots, and promotion (or at the very least, encouragement) of street racing on an automotive themed show.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess they are milking the last few drops from the reality TV cash cow while they still can. Too bad shows like this do a huge disservice to legitimate racing organizations which promote safety and education rather than quick dollars and drama. I understand why the latter appeals to people, but it would be nice to have a show which raises, rather than lowers, the bar for automotive enthusiasts. I guess when Edd left Wheelers & Dealers the writing was on the wall. 

The show has done alot for drag racing. I have been around drag racing since the 70s and smack talk and even fights have always been a part of racing. When these guys travel to local dragstrips they draw insane crowds, go on youtube and have a look. I hear alot of people saying the show promotes illegal activity but anyone that watches knows the roads are closed and safety crews are on the scene so it's not being done illegally. Street racing was happening loooong before this show was even a thought and will continue long after this show is off the air. Do these guys put a little extra hype into the smack talk? Sure they do! I've personally seen Ryan martin run a 3.70 @ 220 mph in a 1/8 of a mile thats 660 ft. 😉 so they are legit!  These guys pack the stands and generate big time money... 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Both your complaints got addressed in Mega Cash Days. (For those who haven't been watching, 64 cars from all over America.) 

Alot of FAST cars in this cash days.. Larson is a dragweek legend and for sure one of the heavy hitters.

29 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

the roads are closed and safety crews are on the scene so it's not being done illegally.

That kind of proves my point. What type of legitimate racer would be okay racing on a closed off street instead of a dragstrip designed to contain these vehicles in the event of an accident? There's a reason NHRA etc. have been promoting safe, responsible racing since the '50s, and for a reality TV show to come along and glamorize fake racing on the street is not helpful to any legitimate fan of drag racing and lowers the bar, rather than raising it. You can't be too much of an outlaw when towns are passing ordinances ahead of time, and local police are blocking off public roads.

Sure, some of the people on the show now might put butts in the stands, but so do plenty of real racer who understand their responsibility to the sport they love. Cheap dollars, internet/social media fame is fleeting...just ask those dudes from that duck show, and countless other reality shows which came and went.

Like I said I understand the appeal of reality TV, but sometimes the damage they do to related legitimate groups and organizations isn't as visible, takes longer to undo, and doesn't get any facebook likes.

https://www.hotcars.com/heres-whats-fake-street-outlaws/

9 hours ago, Casey said:

That kind of proves my point. What type of legitimate racer would be okay racing on a closed off street instead of a dragstrip designed to contain these vehicles in the event of an accident? 

People die on the track just as easy when your dealing with high powered cars... This show got alot of people intrested in drag racing again and has brought new fans out. I watch the show because im a drag race nut but it has never influenced me to race my car on the street. Personally they could show an hour of nothing but cars racing for an hour without a word being said and I'd still watch. The reason these roads are being closed off is simple because everyone wants a piece of that cash cow. I agree with you i could live without the extra hype but its tv and thats what alot of americans want nowadays. At the end of the day it's a money game and street outlaws has done for drag racing about what ufc done for boxing and put a little life back into it.

Amazing show this week (no spoilers). Three of what I'd consider the top cars in the Winners bracket got knocked off (four if you count Lizzy Musi), two of them by relative no-names/unknowns, which were real jaw-droppers. :blink:

I really enjoyed the interactions between JJ and Ryan Martin. There's a lot of mutual respect and professionalism going on there, and it shows. 

Really sorry to see Tricia beat herself. But she always cuts such a fine light, it had to happen sooner or later. I watched it back and didn't see it, so it must have been one of those "one frame" things. 

And again, I'm impressed by the way the quiet and unassuming Dennis Bailey just goes out there and gets it done. I think I've only seen him beat once, maybe twice, in all the seasons of MSO. 

Interesting new format on the 405 show this week, too. 

Much as I've come to dislike Doc's whining, it was hard to see what happened to him last night. I hope he's okay. 

Ironically, I was just thinking yesterday that, as a general rule, the guys who seem to have the most fun with the racing seem to do the best; the ones who take it too seriously, not so much. Not that the fun-havers don't take it seriously, too, they do, they just still have fun. JJ's a good example of the fun-havers, as are many of the Memphis crew, and (IMHO) Daddy Dave, and Big Chief. Doc's an example of the kind of guy who takes it too seriously. Some of the Texas and NOLA guys seem to fit this mold, too. (Last night after her loss, I heard Lizzy Musi's dad Pat say to her something like, "I think this kind of racing is not for us.") 

At Mega Cash Days, the 405 only has one man standing in the Top 24, Memphis still has four, five if you count Axman. Trisha came back on a mission last night, that was a hella pass! :blink:

It was a lot of fun to watch the 405 crews pick up on Memphis's "dry hop" trick and adopt it for their own. And JJ seemed pleased and proud for them to do so, and happy for it to work so well for them! 

I love this show! :D

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Much as I've come to dislike Doc's whining, it was hard to see what happened to him last night. I hope he's okay. 

Ironically, I was just thinking yesterday that, as a general rule, the guys who seem to have the most fun with the racing seem to do the best; the ones who take it too seriously, not so much. Not that the fun-havers don't take it seriously, too, they do, they just still have fun. JJ's a good example of the fun-havers, as are many of the Memphis crew, and (IMHO) Daddy Dave, and Big Chief. Doc's an example of the kind of guy who takes it too seriously. Some of the Texas and NOLA guys seem to fit this mold, too. (Last night after her loss, I heard Lizzy Musi's dad Pat say to her something like, "I think this kind of racing is not for us.") 

At Mega Cash Days, the 405 only has one man standing in the Top 24, Memphis still has four, five if you count Axman. Trisha came back on a mission last night, that was a hella pass! :blink:

It was a lot of fun to watch the 405 crews pick up on Memphis's "dry hop" trick and adopt it for their own. And JJ seemed pleased and proud for them to do so, and happy for it to work so well for them! 

I love this show! :D

agreed 100%