Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

6 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

I don't believe it was ever released as a separate kit - just the double kit and the parts pack. Which came first?

I was able to score a builder double kit a few years back and by grabbing a few parts from the Attempt 1 and Tony Nancy dragster was able to build a decent replica, but glad to see this coming finally coming out again. It's one of the all-time iconic dragsters in my book.

Mooneyes LF 7

That's a sweet model, Steve! 

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Gotta be the U.S. Marines version, I would think? As Mark mentioned earlier, I don't think Atlantic could/would release anything with a Revell-sponsored paint scheme...that would be super awkward. 

Chuck Boerne is supplying the 1/16 decals for Atlantis, correct? He's already done the U.S Marines Grand Am decals in 1/16, so that would make sense. That little Revell logo on the rear quarter panel could be edited out .

Yeah that make sense Casey  !

18 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I got an email from Atlantis the other day saying they were going to do a Tom McEwen  car and later this year do a 1/16 Grand AM Funny car !

I'm very curious about a McEwen car. Unless they've worked out a contract with whoever holds the rights to Chrysler this week, that eliminates a funny car unless they make a new body or do something totally  non prototypical. That means it would be a dragster. They could do a couple of variations of front engined cars (although I wonder about Round2 having those) or something like the Navy rear engined car. 

15 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I'm very curious about a McEwen car. Unless they've worked out a contract with whoever holds the rights to Chrysler this week, that eliminates a funny car unless they make a new body or do something totally  non prototypical. That means it would be a dragster. They could do a couple of variations of front engined cars (although I wonder about Round2 having those) or something like the Navy rear engined car. 

Well, you think they would already have some sort of rights considering the HEMI in those kits is a Chrysler 426 or pseudo 392. Unless they call it a Donovan, it is a Chrysler product. 

In the Amazon reader reviews for my current book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Cars", check out the following review posted by a reader on December 8, 2020:

"This book has been a great resource to us since we have acquired a lot of the Model kit tooling mentioned in the book. I would recommend this book to all drag cars fans. A real gem!"  

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits

I don't know the owner of Atlantis but I wonder, could he be the person that posted this comment?  If that is the case, it would suggest that other kits covered in the book might be future Atlantis releases....and I personally find that to be a very exciting proposition, indeed! 

This is, of course, purely unfounded speculation on my part, so take it all as nothing more than that....TIM 

DSC 0099

DSC 0098

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Do competitors advertise each other? 

You'd have to prove they're competing with each other. It's not like Atlantis is gonna start making new tool Muscle Cars or something. This tooling is in fact things Revell disposed of, so it's hardly like that's a competitive situation.  If Blitz wants to license the name, and Atlantis wants to pay to license it, then it'll be there...or not.

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

In the Amazon reader reviews for my current book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Cars", check out the following review posted by a reader on December 8, 2020:

"This book has been a great resource to us since we have acquired a lot of the Model kit tooling mentioned in the book. I would recommend this book to all drag cars fans. A real gem!"  

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits

I don't know the owner of Atlantis but I wonder, could he be the person that posted this comment?  If that is the case, it would suggest that other kits covered in the book might be future Atlantis releases....and I personally find that to be a very exciting proposition, indeed! 

This is, of course, purely unfounded speculation on my part, so take it all as nothing more than that....TIM 

DSC 0099

DSC 0098

Makes perfect sense.

It's a good book Tim, I talked about it on the channel as well. Nice job. 

On 2/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, RancheroSteve said:

I don't believe it was ever released as a separate kit - just the double kit and the parts pack. Which came first?

I was able to score a builder double kit a few years back and by grabbing a few parts from the Attempt 1 and Tony Nancy dragster was able to build a decent replica, but glad to see this coming finally coming out again. It's one of the all-time iconic dragsters in my book.

Mooneyes LF 7

The parts pack came first. And, great build!

Slightly off topic. The July 2012 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe is devoted to Dean Moon. There are some good B/W pics of the Mooneyes racer as well as many pages of other never seen before pics. I'm not certain, but I think The Rodder's Journal has done a feature spread on the car also. It might be worth tracking these down as resources for an AMS build.

38 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Saw this pic in the Atlantis email newsletter, the stock Nova box art...

unnamed-3.jpg

Until the announcement of these re-releases, this entire series of kits was pretty difficult to find. Now, they're all over Ebay! I always thought they were neat little kits. One of the Chargers was one of the first kits I built, when I first got back into building, after a five-year layoff between '77-'82. It's still in my display case! Glad to see them back!