Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

4 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Until the announcement of these re-releases, this entire series of kits was pretty difficult to find. Now, they're all over Ebay! I always thought they were neat little kits. One of the Chargers was one of the first kits I built, when I first got back into building, after a five-year layoff between '77-'82. It's still in my display case! Glad to see them back!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to these..I remember when they were out back in the day, but as a kid I had moved on from 1/32nd to 1/24th and 1/25th by 1978-1979... 

Preorders for many Car kits and others should be up on the website in the next couple of weeks!
H1494 Green Elephant
M2004 '82 Camaro
M2006 '69 Nova SS
H1244 '57 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham molded in Dakota Red!

86fece3d-62be-44cf-8381-9e9698d88060.jpg

web_banner_route_32__88107.jpg.0d570ae829e6245208cccc3cc04ba19e.jpg
Edited by Casey

On 1/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, Casey said:

I noticed the Nova has a '70s style hood scoop now, too, which, IIRC, it never had?:

Monogram1984Catalog2-vi.jpg.f8f6179f0e458e280e83d00fe48f45bb.jpg

I hope they do the Trans AM with the Ram Air hood and the Charger with a stock hood. I'd bee in for a couple of each along with the stock hood version Nova.
One  to build and one for slot car conversions.

2 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Is the 57 Cadillac a multi piece body?

Yes, although it's not as bad as some multi piece bodies but still requires a bit of finesse.

As to the box art it reminds me of some automotive coloring books I've seen over the years were the line art of the car was clearly traced from a photo and the juxtaposition to the drawn background it's placed within is off perspective, like this box art. The under car shadows and light source are not rendered well plus there's a lack of depth of field for lack of a better description and I think that's what's giving the sinking drivers side look to the box art.

Edited by Phirewriter

Hello.

If the Cadillac is really a re-issue of the old Revell's version and not a brand new kit, make sure that you understand the kit is far from being accurate in proportions. If you are looking for accuracy with the real car, run !.

The picture depicts a car that's even better than the kit inside...

Back in the time of the very first release, you could read on the art box...: "Authentic kit, accurately scaled". Well, it is not. At all.

Revell designers had to create the kit by extrapolate dimensions from pictures that Cadillac provided at the time. First attempt was not good, second one was approved by the brand, even with unaccuracies.

So, my point is not to discourage anyone to buy it of course, but to warn anyone who expects a "Jo-Han" -ish quality or spot on proportions..

:)

2 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Hello.

If the Cadillac is really a re-issue of the old Revell's version and not a brand new kit, make sure that you understand the kit is far from being accurate in proportions. If you are looking for accuracy with the real car, run !.

The picture depicts a car that's even better than the kit inside...

Back in the time of the very first release, you could read on the art box...: "Authentic kit, accurately scaled". Well, it is not. At all.

Revell designers had to create the kit by extrapolate dimensions from pictures that Cadillac provided at the time. First attempt was not good, second one was approved by the brand, even with unaccuracies.

So, my point is not to discourage anyone to buy it of course, but to warn anyone who expects a "Jo-Han" -ish quality or spot on proportions..

:)

It's most certainly not a new kit.  Atlantis is all of Round2's Nostalgia turned up to 11.  So this is the original 1957 tooled Cadillac with every problem it's had for the past 64 years.  Revell last reissued it in 2010, I can't expect people are exactly going to be storm down their hobby shop door on this one, and there's one on eBay that's up for less than a 20 spot, which I imagine will be cheaper than this release.

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's most certainly not a new kit.  Atlantis is all of Round2's Nostalgia turned up to 11.  So this is the original 1957 tooled Cadillac with every problem it's had for the past 64 years.  Revell last reissued it in 2010, I can't expect people are exactly going to be storm down their hobby shop door on this one, and there's one on eBay that's up for less than a 20 spot, which I imagine will be cheaper than this release.

Those kits were selling higher prior to the reissue announcement, so I'd suspect there is a market for it.

Someone who no longer posts here (won't get into that) did state that proportions and dimensions of the Brougham kit are generally accurate for 1/25 scale, the big exception being the area ahead of the front wheels.  The fenders aren't long enough, so he said, the overall length was made up by lengthening the bumper bullets.  Remember, this is the Brougham which shares absolutely no body panels with other Cadillacs.  The couple of 1:1 Broughams that I have seen close up would indicate to me that the kit is generally accurate, more so than many other car kits from that era.  The (by today's standards) unorthodox assembly procedure is a turn-off for many builders today.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

10 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I suppose the rear bumpers and upper quarter panels would give you a leg up on converting a '57 Chevy to an El Morocco. Or you could get really creative:

1360491494_1cnomad.jpg.963f4b93c84069a4db00f043e80b889b.jpg

(Quickie Photoshop job.)

Hmmm...an El Nomado. I like that!

11 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Seeing what people are charging for the ex Monogram '59 Eldorado, whoever owns that mould might want to think about bringing it out again.

That's a relatively modern tool, I'd assume it's still with Revell...last reissued in 2010 (convertible) and 2015 (ht).

22 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That's a relatively modern tool, I'd assume it's still with Revell...last reissued in 2010 (convertible) and 2015 (ht).

Buyers, be aware that Revell modified the hardtop kit at some point. 

The original kit in the big box (blue car below) had a vinyl top molded in, complete with seams and fine grain detail.  Nothing wrong with that.  A vinyl top was an option on the '59 Eldorado Seville hardtop, just a very rare one.  Revell removed the vinyl top in later issues, like the "Calif. Wheels" version shown below.

One more thing to beware of:  the hardtop kits in the later small boxes often have bent/broken top posts, because of cramming all that plastic into such a small box. I got one cheap at a Hobby Lobby because of that. 

59cad-1.jpg

59cad-2.jpeg