Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

3 hours ago, Mark said:

With that midget, I wonder if Old Revell might have been smarter to just tool up a set of tires, a windscreen, and a trailer for this one as opposed to the all-new kit that they did, many of which wound up on closeout store shelves.  There are a bunch of people who bought multiple copies of the new kit, but apparently not enough of them.

The old kit is hideously inaccurate as a representation of an actual Kurtis midget. I give a lot of leeway to Atlantis whose business model is explicitly nostalgia reissues rather than selling specifically kits meant to be built into accurate models depicting real life objects. If the new Kurtis Midget kit had been released with the V8-60 and Offy in the same box and with 100% licensed liveries at a premium price it would have likely been a success similar to those enjoyed by Salvinos JR or Moebius or NuNu when it comes to vintage racing subjects kits. 

In modeling in the 21st century, there is no sense trying to beat Round 2 in the race to the bottom. 

• Like 1

The new kit is certainly better (though one of my brothers, who owned and restored a Kurtis, did find inaccuracies with it), but did it sell well enough?  I would bet that it will be a long, long time before we see the newer kit reissued...if ever.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:26 PM, Justin Porter said:

The old kit is hideously inaccurate as a representation of an actual Kurtis midget. I give a lot of leeway to Atlantis whose business model is explicitly nostalgia reissues rather than selling specifically kits meant to be built into accurate models depicting real life objects. If the new Kurtis Midget kit had been released with the V8-60 and Offy in the same box and with 100% licensed liveries at a premium price it would have likely been a success similar to those enjoyed by Salvinos JR or Moebius or NuNu when it comes to vintage racing subjects kits. 

While one can debate (quite justifiably) the commercial value (or lack thereof) of these kits, the contemporary Revell Midget kits (both V8-60 and Offy versions) are among the best detailed, and yes, (comparatively) easy to assemble 1/24th-1/25th scale kits I've ever built.  And great fun, too!  If you've never built one, you should check them out.  Just my view, of course...TIM  

32 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

While one can debate (quite justifiably) the commercial value (or lack thereof) of these kits, the contemporary Revell Midget kits (both V8-60 and Offy versions) are among the best detailed, and yes, (comparatively) easy to assemble 1/24th-1/25th scale kits I've ever built.  And great fun, too!  If you've never built one, you should check them out.  Just my view, of course...TIM  

I completely agree. I built one of the Offy version kits and it was an absolute joy with quite a lot of clever engineering. The detail and the daintiness of the finished model was really something to enjoy. It's such a shame that we weren't able to see more kits along those lines by Revell because modern kits of vintage American racing subjects that aren't stock cars or drag racers are so few and far between.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got both the 1/32 scale 69 Nova SS and 82 Chevy Camaro from Atlantis in the mail today. They were cleanly molded and not a trace of flash. They'll make the perfect projects for rainy days. Hats off to Atlantis.

Edited by John M.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, John M. said:

Just got both the 1/32 scale 69 Nova SS and 82 Chevy Camaro from Atlantis in the mail today. They were cleanly molded and not a trace of flash. They'll make the perfect projects for rainy days. Hats off to Atlantis.

Nice.

Does the kit only come with the blue stripes around the bottom? Or are there other colors?

Pics? :) 

On 7/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, John M. said:

Would like to see photos of the kits' contents , please .

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

If the tooling was in storage in ILL it went to Atlantis. This one never got sent to China!

Blind sale? I’d expect it sold well. Not my thing but maybe others in pile. This wasn’t in list I’d seen

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Blind sale? I’d expect it sold well. Not my thing but maybe others in pile. This wasn’t in list I’d seen

If I were Atlantis I doubt I list every tool I acquired. Just like they sold a number of tools to Salvinos they may be trying to sell others that do not fit their business. Round2 has 'discovered' tooling that they did not know they had.....rumor has it there is still some in storage.....so who knows what may turn up. 

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm really surprised RoG let that one go.

Why? Curious to hear your reasoning.

I don't *think* this retro F/C shares a chassis (THE chassis?) with the previous Monogram '80s F/Cs (Miller Warrior, 7-Eleven/Chief Auto Parts Mustang, etc,), but I honestly could see new Revel not having much interest in reissuing those anyway.

At any rate, I enjoy seeing Atlantis provide a monthly update, even of the info is limited in scope. I think the Unreal Roller is going to sell out quickly, but I suspect another run will happen if so. Crazy to think this kit would ever be reissued.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

New PREORDER is the 1/24 Tom Mongoose McEwen '57 Chevy Funny Car (H 7172)

H7172.jpg.e3c965a6fd4059b9afaceedc1a2801d8.jpg

Look for the Unreal Roller to start to ship next week. 

Now I am really confused, Is this not the same chassis in the Bud Tempo, 7-11 Mustang, Pepsi Firebird, Castrol Olds, ect. So are those bodies in the US or the bodies molded in China and chassis here, or two chassis molds, or --- i'm confused 

Besides the body and tin, everything in the McEwen car was in the Olds, the Mustang and Tempo. Yes a few differences such as wheels but parts interchange.

What would be really cool would be if Atlantis could mold up some new bodies for this chassis. Yes not a 100% accurate but it would be really cool to have a body to work with. Seriously with one new sprue, and the body and tins, this could get you 85% to today's funny cars.

Edited by iBorg

1 minute ago, iBorg said:

Besides the body and tin, everything in the McEwen car was in the Olds, the Mustang and Tempo. Yes a few differences such as wheels but parts interchange.

That is what I thought also, so does Atlantis have those bodies also?