Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

54 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

The issue with the '57 Funny is that it is a '57 funny! Only a couple of folks had that body, and only McEwen was the big name that ran it. Otherwise, it is a chassis donor type kit. I only see folks who missed out on the last issue getting it. I know I'm not, as I already have a few and have yet to finish even one! 

And yes, I think the Green Elephant is selling mostly for the new decals and then secondary would be the scale. The Jungle Jim will sell at first, and again, for most of us 1/16th types, as a donor kit for different decals. 

Atlantis will do well with the 1/16 (and 1/25) drag cars if they offer cars Revell never did.  Back in the day, Revell only offered kits of cars they sponsored.  

I believe there were only two of those '57 Chevy bodied funny cars.  A guy named Bruce Moreland had the other one, his was identical to McEwen's except it was black.

4 hours ago, iBorg said:

I just don't see the other bodies ever being re-released. It's hard to name any one car using those bodies that are iconic enough to sell. 

I think Atlantis' production runs are small enough that they won't ever be too deeply in the red.

Keep in mind they need to have GM licensing for Firebird, etc, bodies, so it makes sense to do the '57 Chevy and Trans Am (1/32) F/Cs now. The Mustang and Tempo would need to wait until Ford licensing is procured.

Hard to say exactly regarding the 1/16 F/Cs, but when a kit is only produced once a decade or so, there's going to be some pent up demand, and the Revell 1/16 F/Cs were designed well enough to get people to buy them multiple times. Same deal with the 1/16 F/Cs as the smaller scales regarding licensing, so the Duster/Demon and Charger will have to wait....nobody wants another Grand Am. 😜

I read somewhere that, of the 1/16 scale funnies, the Grand Am was far and away the best seller.  I've thought about why Revell never did that car in 1/25 scale...maybe they thought it would steal sales from the big one.

The reason there weren't more 1:1 Grand Am funny cars was that Mickey Thompson had the body designed and wouldn't let the maker sell them to anyone else.  There were one or two other teams that had one, but those were obtained from Thompson, probably as used cars.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I think Atlantis' production runs are small enough that they won't ever be too deeply in the red.

Also remember Quantum/Blitz only paid $49,999 for the entire lot of Revell tooling.  How much could they have possibly sold the odds and ends to Atlantis, who then turned around and sold the NASCAR stuff to Salvinos JR?

Despite people still insisting it's so, (maybe the ole say it enough and will it to reality thing) the new owners didn't sell EVERY U.S. based tool onto Atlantis, as the "new" Revell US has re-stocked the 1st Gen RX-7 and Ramcharger, and released the Chevy LUV and Custom Chevy Van all of which are U.S. based tools.

Pretty sure the McEwen 57 Chevy kit exists in the pile of stuff they sold off only because as you and others have pointed out is shares a chassis with a bunch of somewhat older kit releases that they probably didn't see ever revisiting.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I read somewhere that, of the 1/16 scale funnies, the Grand Am was far and away the best seller.  I've thought about why Revell never did that car in 1/25 scale...maybe they thought it would steal sales from the big one.

The reason there weren't more 1:1 Grand Am funny cars was that Mickey Thompson had the body designed and wouldn't let the maker sell them to anyone else.  There were one or two other teams that had one, but those were obtained from Thompson, probably as used cars.

I just wish that Revell would have tooled up a different body for these kits. You can only build so many Vega, Charger, Demon or Grand Am bodied cars. A Camaro, Cuda or Mustang would have been nice, and they had their shot when they did the 1/25 Blue Max Mustang back in 1999! And the problem with their bodies is that they are early versions and their windshields sit too far forward. 

Their 1/16th scale stuff is a niche market, but a very dedicated niche market. I collect large scale and have bought all their 1/16th scale drag cars. I am only missing the Mongoose Navy car. 

12 hours ago, iBorg said:

Sadly I've heard its scheduled to return....Nifty car but name five of them that ran. 

Nooooooooooo!! Kind of odd, since that was the last version defunct Revell ran, but...

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I read somewhere that, of the 1/16 scale funnies, the Grand Am was far and away the best seller. 

...^this would explain it.

The sales on the Blue Max probably killed the idea of any more new bodies.  Though one of the 1:1 Blue Max Mustangs was shorter than stock, that kit body looked a bit off which hurt it.  I picked a few of those up at closeout to get the newer chassis and tires.

Yes, a new second-gen Barracuda body would have been nice (some of the Challenger funnies used 'Cuda bodies), as well as a '71-'72 Satellite, a second-gen Camaro, and maybe a couple of others.  Revell would have been wise to retool that front axle too (it often sags over time) and those terrible Super Trick wheels, especially the fronts.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Still waiting on some photos of the contents of the 1/32 scale Nova...

I am building the Nova now. However it is almost done and I didn't think to post any photos in the what's in the box section. I should finish it today or tomorrow and will post in the Under Glass section.

Though one of the 1:1 Blue Max Mustangs was shorter than stock, that kit body looked a bit off which hurt it.  I picked a few of those up at closeout to get the newer chassis and tires.

I was so anxious to get the Mustang only to open it and go ughhhh. I challenge you to find any Mustang funny from that era that that body replicates. I know there were several companies casting funny car bodies but without a doubt that was one of Revell's worst bodies. I do hope Atlantis brings back the 1/25 series although I'm not sure what body I'd prefer. It will be interesting to see the response to the Camaro when it returns. That body is off but I've seen people make it very workable.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Nooooooooooo!! Kind of odd, since that was the last version defunct Revell ran, but...

...^this would explain it.

The Grand Am body is most likely ready to run with ZERO repair of clean up.  I bought one of the originals....may get a new one.

7 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The Grand Am body is most likely ready to run with ZERO repair of clean up. 

Yep. Just have to edit out that pesky Revell graphic on the rear quarter panel and good to go:

afa08d40007c44b9316e31f21940a8a2.jpg.43b2e884b77abbb53c829dbd60e81186.jpg

The Blue Max body might be based on one of the nostalgia circuit cars, that crowd seems to want to cut, stretch, and rework bodies way beyond what was done back in the day.  

Revell did the Hawaiian and Chi-Town Hustler kits with a common body, that one looks like a modern/nostalgia body also.  They did do newly tooled chassis for each version, something I never expected this late in the game.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

I am building the Nova now. However it is almost done and I didn't think to post any photos in the what's in the box section. I should finish it today or tomorrow and will post in the Under Glass section.

That would be great ! 

7 hours ago, cobraman said:

I got the Nova and Camaro earlier this month directly from Atlantis. I have them socked away for a rainy day or weekend.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mark said:

The Blue Max body might be based on one of the nostalgia circuit cars, that crowd seems to want to cut, stretch, and rework bodies way beyond what was done back in the day.  

Revell did the Hawaiian and Chi-Town Hustler kits with a common body, that one looks like a modern/nostalgia body also.  They did do newly tooled chassis for each version, something I never expected this late in the game.

Well, at least it would have been a good starting point for building a large scale Mustang 

Blue Max Funny Car | Funny car drag racing, Drag racing cars, Car humor

Brutus ⋆ The Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Car Circuit

So I found this. Looking at the Revell body I FINALLY see what's wrong. Take a look at the greenhouse. Instead of Revell moving the engine forward, the pushed the windshield back. The greenhouse needs to be extended forward to make it look right. The posted model used a chassis from a 1320 diecast but I found a build here: https://automodeler.com/news/strip-track-and-trail-group-build-gallery that shows it. 

So want to correct the Revell body, take some out of the hood and lengthen the greenhouse to compensate.

d4ccf42ec0f107e90a1de0b76e1cc710.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 9.47.14 PM.png