Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

14 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

This is in contrast to Revell, whose Euro-centric conservatism thus far, make them seem lethargic in comparison.

Euro-centric conservatism? Not sure it's _particularly_ conservative to release the first new-tool E-Types, Landy, 1970s 911s or proper Mini in 30 years (or if it is, no one else seems to have thought of it). Not to mention up to date mainstream Porsche, Mercedes or McLaren sports cars. I suspect the first Taycan kit will come from Revell next year. And until it does, the 1/48 Blackbird will keep me busy...

best,

M.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Euro-centric conservatism? Not sure it's _particularly_ conservative to release the first new-tool E-Types, Landy, 1970s 911s or proper Mini in 30 years (or if it is, no one else seems to have thought of it). Not to mention up to date mainstream Porsche, Mercedes or McLaren sports cars. I suspect the first Taycan kit will come from Revell next year. And until it does, the 1/48 Blackbird will keep me busy...

best,

M.

A Taycan would be nice to see...along w/ an Audi E-Tron GT.   I'd love to see Revell make some current Porsches, like the Boxster GTS 4.0 or a 911 GT3.    And for modern American cars, why not a Tesla Model S, Mustang Mach-E, Mustang Mach 1, or Mustang Shelby GT350 or GT500?   Wish they had followed up the old Challenger SRT kit w/ a modern Hellcat, Demon, Red Eye, etc...

Atlantis' niche is similar to Round 2's---reissuing and sprucing up vintage kits, but narrower in scope. 

Edited by Rob Hall

The company I work for is a licensee of most of the major auto manufacturers. It's not so much "getting" a license as it is negotiating what you want to pay vs. what they want to make from it. Some of them don't directly deal with it, they use an outside company for license negotiations. I realize that is apples and sauerkraut when it comes to SCCA, but everyone has a price. Maybe theirs is just too high to make sense for a model company's ROI.

It may be an old wives' tale, but I have heard that "back in the day" when they built 8 Trans-Ams, they agreed to pay SCCA $5/car. I believe they began regretting that deal when they started selling ~100k units/year in the mid-late 1970s.

I don't do our OEM licensing, but I work closely with the colleague who does it for North America and work a little bit with the colleague who does it for Europe. All I can say is that some manufacturers are easier than others to work with, and some of them can get really greedy when it is time to negotiate. Some of the OEM reps are amazingly nice folks, some won't give you the time of day.

If you're a newcomer to the game, completely unknown to the OEM, they're going to ask for a very large portion of the licensing fees for the term up front. So, if you want a three-year deal they want 18 months worth of fees up front and the remainder on a set schedule. 

I've also heard that GM is the easiest to deal with. FCA now Stellantis not so much, especially for a US based company as all their licensing is done through a European agency.

5 hours ago, Fabrux said:

If you're a newcomer to the game, completely unknown to the OEM, they're going to ask for a very large portion of the licensing fees for the term up front. So, if you want a three-year deal they want 18 months worth of fees up front and the remainder on a set schedule. 

I've also heard that GM is the easiest to deal with. FCA now Stellantis not so much, especially for a US based company as all their licensing is done through a European agency.

Our parent company forbids me from publicly posting details about who I work for and what I do. But.... we aren't an Etsy shoppe that makes logo throw pillows for your Phord or Shevvy. The OEMs know who we are. The licensing arrangements are interesting to say the least. I have no clue what the licensing arrangements are for diecasts and model kits, but I suspect they go through the same channels that we do.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:50 AM, Rodent said:

Our parent company forbids me from publicly posting details about who I work for and what I do. But.... we aren't an Etsy shoppe that makes logo throw pillows for your Phord or Shevvy. The OEMs know who we are. The licensing arrangements are interesting to say the least. I have no clue what the licensing arrangements are for diecasts and model kits, but I suspect they go through the same channels that we do.

I did a lot of model car related licensing from early 1980's to late 1990's. The very first one was with Goodyear @ $5 a year with a release contract. It's kinda like 'how much to cut down a tree' Thousands of answers as to how much licensing is for anything. 

Some interesting new stuff that Atlantis has on display at the IPMS show this week.  (Apologies to whoever posted them on Facebook - I saved them so I could remember to look later and now I can’t find who took them…)

C2D8EC5F-5472-4690-AB4F-FBF9BBBF7909.jpeg.1427bc83c46cee0bdce291da28ac5353.jpeg

1A50134D-D8C5-410C-80A0-1408FA22F6A3.jpeg.30d788e7bc872780f64e2ca58737877f.jpeg

03DF01B3-2C7C-4203-8C73-B3311CDC7614.jpeg.f4311f9cdfadc140ab1418144a21e5af.jpeg

51788D9F-C5E7-47E9-8EA5-1232BD0DA572.jpeg.689410c9fea17a742ed5d443f10342f2.jpeg

DC8DC8A4-FECE-4781-8413-EFF7EB95D9B7.jpeg.c4aa2d240f81953f8fde9469609395bb.jpeg

Anyone recognize that C-cab or the little blue tracknose roadster?

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atlantis is quickly becoming my favorite kit manufacturer - they’re killing it lately!

I wish they’d be more up to date with putting new releases on their Amazon store so I can keep using up this stash of gift cards I’ve got here, but they’re bringing our so many great must-have kits!  Keep it up, Atlantis, if you’re reading this!