Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

Just mentioning...  A shout out to Larry Greenberg for the interview with the Atlantis owners in the current issue of Model Cars Magazine!  

Very nice history, and a great overview of who they are, what they have done for our hobby so far and where they intend to go!

The article is worth the price of the magazine!  So if you haven't seen it, get a copy!

• Like 2

Pup'n'Taco?

I want Naugles!

Back on Topic, these "Funny", Funny Car kits may sell well to the same folks who built them years ago as first kits. They will probably sell well to kit bashers and folks who like the looks of the kits. As long Atlantis keeps up the "This is old (restored) Revell tooling" disclaimers/notifications there should not be too much, "What a Blah-Blah piece of trash!" griping either.

I think Atlantis is making great choices on what kits to release. Kind of Quirky. but driven by both tooling and financial realities that none of us here can know about. I hope it continues to work for them.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

So, old kit experts, what do we know about this Topolino kit (at least, the bits that aren't new tooling)? 

I never saw one of these I don't think (although I might have one of these bodies somewhere if memory serves me correctly)

Mostly parts pack but released ~63 as double kits. 
C8D4AE88-5FEB-4574-8B09-2A99A3C32000.jpeg.97ce3f274183461a9fdf5745f8fad760.jpegF908BF0A-63C1-464D-8951-2192009F443C.jpeg.11b2ef2740114ffde6ac99e2722b2ac8.jpeg

• Like 1

The parts in these kits are very well detailed. The body is better proportioned than the AMT. The engines pose problems in the way they are molded but they're worth the effort. There really isn't must to say negative about the kit. It will be nice to have this kit for parts if nothing else.

• Like 2

I can't speculate if this is meaningful, but the Atlantis Fiat build up posted in a thread from James Duff (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/164249-2021-ipms-nationals-kit-information/) features the Chrysler Hemi mill. The box art illustration appears to be the Ford 427. Atlantis seems to have taken the criticism of the Mooneyes box art constructively, as the Fiat is rendered more accurately.        

Fiat.jpg

1 hour ago, GarryR said:

I can't speculate if this is meaningful, but the Atlantis Fiat build up posted in a thread from James Duff features the Chrysler Hemi mill. The box art illustration appears to be the Ford 427.

Their post says it'll include two engines, so I guess it'll be those!  Works for me!

I really like those wheels - I'll be ordering a few of these for sure...

Thanks for the info everyone!

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Their post says it'll include two engines, so I guess it'll be those!  Works for me!

I really like those wheels - I'll be ordering a few of these for sure...

Thanks for the info everyone!

The wheels in the Revell kits are quite nice. The problem is if you find an original kit, odds are the tires are on the wheels. If they are, at least one of the wheels will be attacked by the tire.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GarryR said:

The box art illustration appears to be the Ford 427. Atlantis seems to have taken the criticism of the Mooneyes box art constructively, as the Fiat is rendered more accurately.        

Well....not really. 

The artist must not know that he placed two injection units on top of his supercharger 

This...

Bitchin injectors

Doesn't go on top of of this....

Hilborn 4 Port Injection for the... - John's Rod & Custom | Facebook

And that the kit comes with this...

Find NEW Hilborn 2 Port Blower Injection 4-71 GMC -set for any Fuel- With  Scoop in Nashville, Tennessee, United States, for US $1,649.00

I know, Nit Picky, but, it drives us Drag guys nuts to see this

I'd bet the engines in the first couple of kits will be chosen from the four that are known to be ready to run; that is, the four that Revell ran in the late Nineties.  Ford 427, small block Chevy, early Cadillac, Pontiac 421.

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Well....not really. 

The artist must not know that he placed two injection units on top of his supercharger 

This...

Bitchin injectors

Find NEW Hilborn 2 Port Blower Injection 4-71 GMC -set for any Fuel- With  Scoop in Nashville, Tennessee, United States, for US $1,649.00

PREACH IT, Brother Daddy! B) Also, I can't stand these old-school units being referred to as "hats." :angry: You wanna call that ugly modern junk on top of blowers "hats," fine, but NOBODY called injectors and scoops that back in the day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well....not really. 

This...

Bitchin injectors

I believe the artist is illustrating the parts from the Ford 427 Parts Pack. Not 100% accurate, obviously not familiar with 1:1 speed equipment. But still, much better than the Mooneyes illustration.

A5A076C9-0F5D-4AB3-B63C-6A7B2728EACA.jpeg

Edited by GarryR
clarification. Misspelled auto correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iBorg said:

The wheels in the Revell kits are quite nice.

I would say they are quite obscure, actually. The fronts and rear are the "backwards"  Halibrand style wheels which was not all that common. IIRC, it was discussed in a topic here previously, and the Attempt 1 may have been the most well-known car which ran them that way.

The problem with Revell's rear wheel in the vintage kits is the ejector pin marks, which fall smack-dab on the face of each wheel lip...on the outside. 💩 You need to sand the lip flat to remove the ejector pin marks, which destroys the chrome plating-- not a good thing.

While I understand the nostalgic appeal these kits have, it's hard to look at them with a critical eye and see a great kits. Once the rose colored glasses are removed and you take a closer look, the flaws jump out at you.

Casey, you’re correct. 
But I haven’t seen a lot of rose colored glasses here in general. People mock rivet counters, but it’s generally civil. Pretty civil in this thread, but not a new tool. 
But geez, it gets ugly. 
Oh, and to be the first one, only 59years late, why can’t it be built stock??

I crack me up. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣💀

Pretty sure all Halibrand wheels back then were magnesium, so the plating needs to come off anyway.  If they are plated, that is; the wheels weren't plated in the original double kits, though the parts packs were plated.

The availability of these wheels (as in: nobody will ever tool them again) far outweighs any flaws they might have.  

Because Atlantis is issuing individual car kits instead of double kits, they're throwing us a bone or two with the extra engine and wiring pack.  Hopefully they won't mess with the individual parts trees and will leave all of the parts on each one.  That will make these kits gold mines for early Sixties drag racing parts.

• Like 1

We may be expecting what we got from Revell.  But if the two parts packs from Gofer are any indication, it looks like somebody has done a little work on the manufacturing side.  The Gofer dragster chassis and engine are noticeably better quality. Not putting anybody down at Revell, it's been 60 years and things changed.  I'm waiting with a bit of excitement to see what Atlantis puts in the box.

• Like 1

Mark, you’re correct, I’ve got a stash of these collected over ages all prepped sanded and dechromed. Same for the early stuff in double dragster AMT. Never had any of these kits, just Bantam and Fiat bodies. 
Going to be fun. My tri-focals are rose colored I just realized.