Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

On 10/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, Mark said:

Pretty sure all Halibrand wheels back then were magnesium, so the plating needs to come off anyway.  If they are plated, that is; the wheels weren't plated in the original double kits, though the parts packs were plated.

The availability of these wheels (as in: nobody will ever tool them again) far outweighs any flaws they might have.  

Because Atlantis is issuing individual car kits instead of double kits, they're throwing us a bone or two with the extra engine and wiring pack.  Hopefully they won't mess with the individual parts trees and will leave all of the parts on each one.  That will make these kits gold mines for early Sixties drag racing parts.

I fully agree. I don't think anyone has ever matched Jim Keeler's level of detail and scale fidelity. Never mind the ejector pins. If I need plating I always have my trusty Molotow markers.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, Mark said:

Pretty sure all Halibrand wheels back then were magnesium, so the plating needs to come off anyway.  If they are plated, that is; the wheels weren't plated in the original double kits, though the parts packs were plated.

The availability of these wheels (as in: nobody will ever tool them again) far outweighs any flaws they might have.  

Because Atlantis is issuing individual car kits instead of double kits, they're throwing us a bone or two with the extra engine and wiring pack.  Hopefully they won't mess with the individual parts trees and will leave all of the parts on each one.  That will make these kits gold mines for early Sixties drag racing parts.

Mag wheels can, and are, polished most of the time, and it was not uncommon back in the 60's to polish them for that show car look. After all, they did used to present Best Appearing awards at the drags. 

So they can be stripped and grayed out, or just left chrome for that polished look. 

440 Fiat Topolino fuel altered A/A | Drag racing cars, Old race cars, Drag  racing

Funny how the term 'Mag Wheels' et al. became a colloquial term for any aftermarket wheel . The only true "Mag" wheel is composed of Magnesium ; others are aluminium and or aluminium centre with steel hoops ( Cragar S/S for example ) or stamped steel .

Keeping after polished magnesium or aluminium was a constant task , as oxidation set-in quickly , as would brake dust . These days (well , within the last ~ 40 years ) these aluminium wheels have a clear coating . Not sure if Mg. is still used for common aftermarket , styllised wheels .

8 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Pete/Atlantis says Moon Eyes runs this week......

Answers my question.

I definitely want the Fiat. I'd look forward to a T and Bantam altered, too. I'd even take the Chassis Research/Scotty Fenn/dogsled rail, too.

A few millenia ago I built a Bantam altered using Parts Pack gear. Hemi, tubular frame, the works. Wasn't too shabby for a thirteen year old kid. Still have it (in pieces).

Edited by Reegs

2 hours ago, Reegs said:

A few millenia ago I built a Bantam altered using Parts Pack gear. Hemi, tubular frame, the works. Wasn't too shabby for a thirteen year old kid. Still have it (in pieces).

Do you still have most of the pieces? Dig them out and restore it as a proud survivor. 

Somewhere I have an Altered I built at about the same age with a Double Dragster Fiat frame, the Revell Bantam body, and the OHC 6 from the MPC '68 Firebird. I say "somewhere" because I haven't seen it in years, and I WISH I could find it. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Do you still have most of the pieces? Dig them out and restore it as a proud survivor. 

Somewhere I have an Altered I built at about the same age with a Double Dragster Fiat frame, the Revell Bantam body, and the OHC 6 from the MPC '68 Firebird. I say "somewhere" because I haven't seen it in years, and I WISH I could find it. :unsure:

I think I still have most of the pieces. I do remember that maybe 10 - 15 years ago attempting to remove the slicks from the wheels for some reason. As I was prying the tire off the rim the rim ... bent. Not broke, bent. Can't imagine what sort of chemical reaction happened over the years to soften the plastic like that. 

I've had old Revell Wheels and Tires that pulled like Taffy when I tried to get them apart. The number of different ways the Revell Tires have reacted with the plastic wheels speaks to the varying chemical compositions of both the chrome and the plastic itself. I've had wheels Shatter into shards, crumble into grains of sand, melt into unity with the tire, pull like taffy, and turn into a semi-liquid goop. All this has been Revell Tires and Revell Wheels.

Time and Chemical compounds behave in wonderous and vexing ways.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

I've had old Revell Wheels and Tires that pulled like Taffy when I tried to get them apart. The number of different ways the Revell Tires have reacted with the plastic wheels speaks to the varying chemical compositions of both the chrome and the plastic itself. I've had wheels Shatter into shards, crumble into grains of sand, melt into unity with the tire, pull like taffy, and turn into a semi-liquid goop. All this has been Revell Tires and Revell Wheels.

Time and Chemical compounds behave in wonderous and vexing ways.

It's items like this that always make me marvel at how auto modelers regard plastic tires as a sign of a cheap or poorly engineered kit, while military AFV modelers practically froth at the mouth if you suggest separate vinyl tires in their kits instead of resin or injection molded plastic. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:51 AM, Reegs said:

I'd look forward to a T and Bantam altered, too.

Sadly, Atlantis has said that the Bantam can not be released because the tooling was destroyed 😢

This is speculation on my part, but perhaps if the others sell well enough they could invest in recreating the Bantam tooling if it makes financial sense.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Actually, military AFV modelers, me included, prefer resin or 3D printed wheels and tires for the same reasons that car modelers complain about. That's why there are so many aftermarket companies producing them.

Exactly what I was saying. I hear a lot of complaining about the vinyl tires in Trumpeter/Hobbyboss AFV kits, for instance, and resin replacements - especially ones that have a weighted sag to them - are hugely popular. 

7 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

It's items like this that always make me marvel at how auto modelers regard plastic tires as a sign of a cheap or poorly engineered kit

Well, some of us old f**ts have been building long enough to remember the "vinyl tires (tyres)" in AMT and MPC kits were something special vs. the wheels/tires molded together in some of the 1:32 kits. Paradigm shift is hard for some folks when they get set in their ways. Yes, I built a couple of 1969 Palmer Fords as a kid and didn't see anything wrong with them. I am too young to have had any of the really old stuff and never built much from Revell, so I have never experienced the tire rot that is often spoken of here. I also have an unwarped 1960 Comet promo that I bought in 1988 or 1989 and it is still unwarped.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:39 AM, 1972coronet said:

Funny how the term 'Mag Wheels' et al. became a colloquial term for any aftermarket wheel . The only true "Mag" wheel is composed of Magnesium ; others are aluminium and or aluminium centre with steel hoops ( Cragar S/S for example ) or stamped steel .

"Mag wheel" is fewer syllables than "aluminum alloy wheel". 

:-)

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 3:45 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Uh...no. Just a change to "shipped". It's been that way for several days, now. Which leads me to believe that it hasn't, actually. B)

Many of the automated postal systems show 'shipped' as soon as the label is printed......Most companies print the labels days in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Where do you live? I want to open a coffee house next door.

I bemoan the fall-from-popularity of coffeehouses . Even the cool independent 'houses close stupid early now ! Like , 1900 hrs. ! I remember when they were open until 2300 , 0200... 0400 in the case of Nova Express  ( ostensibly , a Burroughs-themed hangout ) which was in Fairfax , across from Canter's Deli .