Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell - Mercedes Benz 190 SL Roadster

89AKurt

Revell's Mercedes Benz 190 SL, silly to add "Roadster" because the SL was always a roadster. ?  I've had a wild hair to get one, found a decent priced re-issue on feeBay, so *had to* get it.  Price was good because tires are missing, but I have plans for it.  Searched, did not find that anyone had built it, prove me wrong.  Picture on Scalemates:
129696-26866-21-pristine.jpg.f489b1c7f3226a77ae80fee5b86cde0c.jpg

I know this is based on the 300 SL, but sort of what I'm thinking of.
1345930085_190SLR4.jpg.da980bfbe97242cd8dcec1aab7b224dd.jpg

I see the Fujimi 1/24 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 Sports Version Model Kit 12524 is a modern version, and Tamiya made one, but both lack an engine, correct?  An alternative would be a Skyline aftermarket engine.  Just throwing ideas out seeing what will catch inspiration.  I'll post pictures of the kit when the time comes.

9 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Cool! The Paganini huyara havre a nice AMG V12... 

Way too big, and mid engine transmission.

6 hours ago, landman said:

Isn't what you he there a 300SLR?

300 SLR has a unique grill shape, covered headlights, hood with intake bulge on the right side, no rear fender lip, etc.  The exhausts coming out the side are what made you think this.

Another of those old Revell kits that are better then you expect. Picked one up in a LHS more then 10 years ago. Expecting it to be a dog and while not Tamiya quality,  it turned out to be a nice kit. While I haven't built it yet at least I have one in the stash for the future. They were nice enough cars that I'll build mine stock. I wonder who has the mold for it?

Great find Kurt! Always had a soft spot for Mercedes, have a 300 roadster in the stash, green plastic, a bit of damage with the windshield, aside from the body the rest resembles a friction toy! Plan on a tonneau equipped track version. Would the rims from the AMT 300 SL, Rudge style work?

Cheers to you and yours, Misha 

6 hours ago, robertw said:

Another of those old Revell kits that are better then you expect. Picked one up in a LHS more then 10 years ago. Expecting it to be a dog and while not Tamiya quality,  it turned out to be a nice kit. While I haven't built it yet at least I have one in the stash for the future. They were nice enough cars that I'll build mine stock. I wonder who has the mold for it?

I know Revell made *some* nice kits.  You probably have more kits than you dare, admit it.  ?

4 hours ago, Misha said:

Great find Kurt! Always had a soft spot for Mercedes, have a 300 roadster in the stash, green plastic, a bit of damage with the windshield, aside from the body the rest resembles a friction toy! Plan on a tonneau equipped track version. Would the rims from the AMT 300 SL, Rudge style work?

Cheers to you and yours, Misha 

I have the Italeri in Testors box Rodaster, red plastic.  Also have the AMT 300SL, which looks really detailed, and has the Rudge wheels for an option.
IMG_8300_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1d845b3cd9b0d77ee3e756c1f0d41772.jpg

52 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I really like that Photoshop that you’re using for inspiration - it’s like if Mercedes built a Cobra!  Way cool!

I’ll be watching! 

Been thinking of starting a new topic, similar to the  Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods, wonder if there is a term for Mercedes sacrilege?   Don't know when I will actually build this, was hoping someone will be inspired to beat me to it.

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Kurt, build it! That is a cool looking car. Needs at least a V8, some sort of twin turbo induction.... low, low, low! 
I’ll follow.

Cheers, Steve

Hey.... well one of these decades.......   Iceman Collectibles has several V8s, such as a Coyote (all I can figure, it's a Ford).
Just found these on feeBay:
1/24 Resin Engine Mercedes M104 for W124 W129 W140 from Ukraine.
Aoshima 1/24 GTR R35 Engine Kit Resin MADE TO ORDER from New York.
1/24 Toyota 2JZ Engine Kit Resin Tamiya MADE TO ORDER Supra from NY.
1/24 Resin Engine Mazda 13b from Ukraine.
1/25-1/24 12b Turbo Kit Engine Kit Resin MADE TO ORDER from NY.
1/24 SR20DET Engine (Sloped Top, Low Mount Plenum) from Australia.

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Merc-rilege ?

Have mercy! ?

48 minutes ago, Russell C said:

That exact idea has been rattling around in my mind for a while, and the photo rendering Kurt  really reinforces the basic Cobra resemblance on the front end.

Just step up and do it!  ?  Long time ago I saw an MG MGB with flares, maybe side pipes, so that's another possibility.   The Tiger is another possible victim.

Hi Kurt - I have one of these kits too; mine is missing the hubcaps and one tire half (I cast a replacement). I also have molds to cast the head and taillights in clear/red.

I shot these at the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in California back in 2007; may be a bit more conservative than you're doing but food for thought:

P1040471.JPG.f7d977c0901c549e8c0e5034c9e05761.JPG

P1040441.JPG.ada1371ad7a59f7564a839ac939f2fb4.JPG

P1040444.JPG.a012e2bf15b134fec50479021a0c41e9.JPG

P1040446.JPG.94150df1f7ff27548c201894920320b3.JPG

Good luck with your build!

22 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

.... Just step up and do it! ...

What?! And spoil my appetite for all my other existing workses in progresses projects? Alas, hungry that I am for more, I'll let you eat this one up, since you are the one who's completed more entire projects than I've completed of unpainted subassemblies for just one of my projects.

16 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hi Kurt - I have one of these kits too; mine is missing the hubcaps and one tire half (I cast a replacement). I also have molds to cast the head and taillights in clear/red.

I shot these at the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in California back in 2007; may be a bit more conservative than you're doing but food for thought.

[...]

Good luck with your build!

Cool!  Thanks for posting these pictures.  I could go for some of those details.  Can you PM me about the lights?

4 minutes ago, Russell C said:

What?! And spoil my appetite for all my other existing workses in progresses projects? Alas, hungry that I am for more, I'll let you eat this one up, since you are the one who's completed more entire projects than I've completed of unpainted subassemblies for just one of my projects.

How dare me!  ?  I haven't done anything since July, I'll never complete my 2020 Resolution list.

Received today, before the estimated date.  The reissue was 2008, 5,000 copies, is that less than a normal run?  Made in Germany but the plastic still shows MFG. IN USA.
IMG_0585.thumb.jpg.de80c78999a1e297785082cba55f6742.jpg
IMG_0586.thumb.jpg.10734a50259a3858b3af4fff6a34a0b1.jpg

Instructions parts list, which happens to be bottom side up.   Check out the glass.
IMG_0581.thumb.jpg.5a409697c499338ff53dbfcf65990aa0.jpg
IMG_0582.thumb.jpg.28180c75182af55e6cc4e846e51dff3d.jpg

Multiple piece body, don't know if I can handle that!   I have a Revell '67 Cadillac kit, which has a really awful multiple piece body with chrome trim to sandwich, so this looks easy.  The seller said no tires, but all the plastic wheel/tires are included!  Look at the sink marks. ?
IMG_0583.thumb.jpg.e62ef7b75ff7c3584bd86f4fd7e3c1f6.jpg
IMG_0584.thumb.jpg.5a0d1d769344d204e4d56f49ea798680.jpg

Don't know about the door panels.  ?  This can be fun...... ?

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I like your idea and inspiration picture. No rules except what you want it to be...

That's the fun about building models, don't have to worry about cost, or being able to run.

Looked at the instructions.  The wheels turn, or I should say the tires turn, the hubcaps are glued to the axles, the tires are supposed to spin.  The order of assembly is not what we are used to, the interior is done first, then you lay up the body, the firewall and dash are set in, then the top of the front is glued down.  I can't imagine many kids did a good job on this, the glue joints would ruin the look of the body.  Using Testors tube cement would melt after awhile showing the seam lines.  The footwell goes into the engine bay, maybe half an inch, so stuffing a longer engine in there is possible.

I need to search this forum for any builds of a modern Benz.
Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG (Aoshima) has an engine.

Who has done a:
Fujimi Mercedes-Benz SLK230
Tamiya M-B SLK
Scalemates Fujimi

You could also get a fiberglass aftermarket hardtop, like the one on this $34,750 trash heap of a 190SL - note the different rear window and the round emblem near the side window; I think Glasspar made them? My friend's '63 has one just like it.

115208201_59mercedes190slaftermarkethardtop.jpg.52cc0f090290a4e41e3b1233acf34902.jpg

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The wheels turn, or I should say the tires turn, the hubcaps are glued to the axles, the tires are supposed to spin.

Mine is missing the hubcaps, but the previous owner threw in a set of Hubley 300SL wheels - once I cut them down to fit, I'll just hollow them out and put retainers on the axles so it looks normal.

Kurt, I cast up an extra set of clear red taillights and clear headlights this morning so let me know if you can use them.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

13 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

Looks like it has a large-window detachable hardtop, so that makes it a '59-'63. Strangely, if you ordered this HT version, there was no soft top. If you already had a soft top, you had to remove it to mount the hardtop.

Sounds like a pain.  Or just a fair weather car.

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

You could also get a fiberglass aftermarket hardtop, like the one on this $34,750 trash heap of a 190SL - note the different rear window and the round emblem near the side window; I think Glasspar made them? My friend's '63 has one just like it.

[...]

Mine is missing the hubcaps, but the previous owner threw in a set of Hubley 300SL wheels - once I cut them down to fit, I'll just hollow them out and put retainers on the axles so it looks normal.

Kurt, I cast up an extra set of clear red taillights and clear headlights this morning so let me know if you can use them.

Interesting.  Wow, literally a rust bucket!  I'll PM you.