Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread

• 4 months later...

Like many of us I browse ebay for stuff I'm looking for.  One is a 69 Imp.  This one popped up this morning and I sensed a bit of (un)intentional description deception.  My opinion is it sure looks like all but the box may be a 70?  If so, hope this doesn't cause problems with the buyer if it goes for typical 69 prices.  The listing description says "Orginal AMT Vintage 1969 Chevy Impala Junkyard. Not Sure What All Is Here. What You See Is What You Get! Sold As Is! Box Is In Great Condition For 50+ Years Old!"

Maybe I'm wrong.... I know I won't bid on it ;)

IMG-9574.jpg

IMG-9575.jpg

IMG-9576.jpg

21 minutes ago, espo said:

"69 box but sure looks like a '70 body. Without knowing where the seller got this they may not even realize the difference between the two. 

Either a scammer or someone who got scammed! Send them a message and see what they say..

I actually buy semi kits and parts off of EBay pretty often. There are often re-releases listed as vintage probably and hopefully because the seller doesn’t know any better. I figure that these are honest mistakes. There are also listings that just show a box full of parts that say “what you see is what you get“ and the pictures seem to be strategically taken to hide what you get. I personally consider these to be scams. This may not be the case on this kit however. While the parts aren’t laid out clearly they can mostly be seen. This is probably just a mistake. But as the title of the thread reads, we as buyers need to beware and look at the photos carefully when buying. There are plenty of other scams such as re-sealing going on too, but too many to discuss here.

NOT RELATED TO THIS SELLER

i saw a similar thing around christmas time. i dont remember the seller. it was on the gangbusters kit. they had the newly molded kit in an old box for a different car. one was a 2 door, and one was a 4 door.

anyway, i emailed the seller and he said that i was right and he would adjust the auction. i kept an eye on it and he never changed the auction. about 4 or 5 days later i saw that it sold. i dont know what ever happened with it. i had it on my list of sellers to not buy from, but i dont know how to see that anymore

7 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

What puzzles me is the design in the trunk. Most images I find are kind of a bulge in the middle and the kit is more like a depression. Was this a mistake on AMTs part?

This is the only photo I could find of a 70 trunk lid that had the shape depression in the middle.  99.9% were flat.  Same with 69, I found one with the same type of trunk lid.  Not sure why these two popped up when searching while all others were flat.  Looks like both AMT kits had this trunk lid though I think.

CC-71-114-800.jpg

ll.jpg

1 hour ago, hedotwo said:

This is the only photo I could find of a 70 trunk lid that had the shape depression in the middle.  99.9% were flat.  Same with 69, I found one with the same type of trunk lid.  Not sure why these two popped up when searching while all others were flat.  Looks like both AMT kits had this trunk lid though I think.

CC-71-114-800.jpg

Does the trunk have anything to do with the roof type? There were two different roofs. 

22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Does the trunk have anything to do with the roof type? There were two different roofs. 

I believe you're right Snake, the 4 doors and formal tops had flat trunks while the hard tops with the curved glass had the dip in the trunk. 

Only that coupe had the dip, all other models had smooth trunk lids.  MPC's convertible kit was essentially a hardtop without a roof, its trunk lid had the dip and the upper quarter panels (different on 1:1 convertibles) were the same as the coupe.

AMT's convertible promo had the smooth trunk lid, but still had the coupe quarter panels.

I’d kindly ask the seller, or any seller for that matter, for more pics. If they can’t comply with a simple question, I’ll pass. 

I saw this auction yesterday and I saw it as a 70. I just kept scrolling. I always watch what I bid on very carefully, because anyone can slip a newer issue body, or other parts, into a vintage box, and sell it. Old styrene is way better than the junk they mold kits in today. And if I’m bidding on a vintage kit, I have this crazy way of thinking, that I should get what I’m paying for. 

19 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I have this crazy way of thinking, that I should get what I’m paying for. 

That's crazy talk :)

i emailed a seller about a kit (not this one) and heard nothing back. i am not paying top dollar for an old kit without a response to simple questions of is the kit complete, and undamaged. 

why that isnt in the auction descriptions is beyond me. if they think by not putting it, they maybe getting something over on the buyer, it doenst work that way. if you tell paypal or whoever you paid with that the item is not complete, they will side with the buyer...or maybe they are hoping it just sits in a stash and never built?

Some sellers absolutely do NOT answer any questions, particularly if they think the potential bidder is on to their scam.  Their rationale is that you might get anxious about losing a chance at the item, and will bid anyway in spite of not having the information that you sought.  By not answering the question, they can't get caught in a lie.

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

8E7A9C28-1EBA-4934-9B8B-027BBB435DF0.png.e2129306dcfee511723bfe70c2a1853f.png

Always watch those descriptions that say “Not sure what’s all here. What you see is what you get! Sold as is!”

And note there are no returns.

Bidding up to $41 right now.

“What you see is what you get” Yea... it’s sounds so cocky...for a seller. 

Edited by Brutalform

Sad part is that many who initially see this listing bid before taking the time to spend some time looking closely at what's included.  The lure of a nice box of a semi-rare kit catches your eye more than looking at the parts.  The front bumper on the tree is what immediately caught my eye.  Got worse from there.  I study everything I can before bidding and often ask for more photos if anything is questionable.  Matter of fact, I've lost out on buy-it-nows while looking stuff up to verify what I'm buying.