Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Man!

I'm selling off most of my collection through eBay. Too old to build them all. First was the Uncertain T. It went for what I paid for it many years ago, except I added the missing parts. It was fully disassembled. All the parts were pictured. The buyer returned it because of glue marks where the headliner was attached to the underside of the roof. He gave me a couple written smacks along the way. OK I did not picture those marks. Who would have thought they would matter if they would be covered up. That cost me 35.00. I relisted it. This time the eBay shipping calculator somehow managed to increase one box dimension so much that shipping is up to 250.00! I am sure it is some sort of auto fill in. I went through customer service. eBay will NOT let me correct it because someone bid on the kit. I am soooooo frustrated. I keep getting emails asking why the high shipping. I updated the description, but guess not everyone gets that far. So then I added a picture with the correct shipping, but eBay again in their messed up wisdom would not let me make that the lead picture. My fear is that I will not get bids because of the dumb shipping. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Same thing happened with a QuickSilver I listed.   

I'm going to try Offer Up to see how that works.

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Man!

I'm selling off most of my collection through eBay. Too old to build them all. First was the Uncertain T. It went for what I paid for it many years ago, except I added the missing parts. It was fully disassembled. All the parts were pictured. The buyer returned it because of glue marks where the headliner was attached to the underside of the roof. He gave me a couple written smacks along the way. OK I did not picture those marks. Who would have thought they would matter if they would be covered up. That cost me 35.00. I relisted it. This time the eBay shipping calculator somehow managed to increase one box dimension so much that shipping is up to 250.00! I am sure it is some sort of auto fill in. I went through customer service. eBay will NOT let me correct it because someone bid on the kit. I am soooooo frustrated. I keep getting emails asking why the high shipping. I updated the description, but guess not everyone gets that far. So then I added a picture with the correct shipping, but eBay again in their messed up wisdom would not let me make that the lead picture. My fear is that I will not get bids because of the dumb shipping. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Same thing happened with a QuickSilver I listed.   

I'm going to try Offer Up to see how that works.

You should be able to set a fixed shipping amount and ignore the calculator.

I should have been more clear on the Uncertain T saga.

I bought it for around $250. I added in the missing parts. It was a disassembled kit.

It sold for $250 on eBay. The buyer was upset about the glue marks and asked fo a refund.

To have the kit shipped back to me so I could resell it, cost 35.00.

Going forward, I am going to post a fixed shipping to avoid the calculator issues which have turned out to be an eBay PIA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I should have been more clear on the Uncertain T saga.

I bought it for around $250. I added in the missing parts. It was a disassembled kit.

It sold for $250 on eBay. The buyer was upset about the glue marks and asked fo a refund.

To have the kit shipped back to me so I could resell it, cost 35.00.

Going forward, I am going to post a fixed shipping to avoid the calculator issues which have turned out to be an eBay PIA.

What problems are you haveing with the shipping calculator on eBay Scott? I been using it for severals years and hadn't notice anything???

It might be me, Len, but on the batch I had two listings that included a huge dimension in one of the fields. I am pretty sure I entered the correct dimensions since I took time to measure the box. Since I got I got a bid, eBay would not let me correct the dimension. I have been answering message about the outrageous shipping ever since. Super frustrating. 

On 10/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, Scott Colmer said:

It might be me, Len, but on the batch I had two listings that included a huge dimension in one of the fields. I am pretty sure I entered the correct dimensions since I took time to measure the box. Since I got I got a bid, eBay would not let me correct the dimension. I have been answering message about the outrageous shipping ever since. Super frustrating. 

Doesn’t the shipping show when you preview your listing prior to putting up on the site? I’ve been selling on eBay for 16 years and over 1000 transactions and have never had issues with the shipping calculator. In fact, eBay expanded the choices and includes cheaper options than just priority (USPS parcel select ground) - and most of the time it’s almost as fast as priority. 

Now, not being able to edit the shipping, that’s annoying. 

It most certainly can be my fault. As far as I can tell, I tried to put a decimal in there and it dropped the decimal. 4.6 became 46.

I will be checking my listing before posting. The Uncertain T went for below what I paid for it.

At least the auctions with the error are done.  500 more kits to go. Live and learn.  

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

It most certainly can be my fault. As far as I can tell, I tried to put a decimal in there and it dropped the decimal. 4.6 became 46.

I will be checking my listing before posting. The Uncertain T went for below what I paid for it.

At least the auctions with the error are done.  500 more kits to go. Live and learn.  

How many kits did you start with sir?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 1:26 AM, Scott Colmer said:

I think I sold 20ish so far. I usually post 4 a week. I'm not in a big hurry. I'm going with the high dollar stuff first before it gets reissued.

Scott, do you mind sharing your eBay ID so I may look at your offerings. Shame we Still can't sell here......

Here is a link to my last auction. I think you can use it to follow more of my auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325415820296

Here is how I try to do my best to present my auctions:

I try to show or describe all defects or missing parts.

I pack the inside of the kit and around the kit in a shipping box.

If the model is a reissue, I'll say so.

If you ask for combined shipping, please do not pay before I have the chance to get the combined cost. 

If you do not like something about your kit, feel free to ask me about it. I may be able to find a part or figure out another solution. (I do not appreciate accusations.)

I check my eBay messages at the end of each day.

I will probably not accept anything but auction bids. So far all the offers have been well below the final bid price.

I list 4-5 kits a week. 

The end goal is to collect money to finally build my Bug Eye Sprite that has been sitting for 15 years.

This is as far as I got before I gave away the first version away back in the 90s.

ScottC-vi.jpg

This is where the next version is now.

IMG_2788-vi.jpg

IMG_2789-vi.jpg

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this. 

There is a Monogram 78 Jimmy model kit available right now $45 buy it now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-79-Monogram-GMC-Jimmy-4x4-Truck-1979-Plastic-Model-Kit-2248-Built-w-Box-/354403202549?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It's not my ad and I don't have any connection to it. I just know there are a few on here that are looking for this.

Please post if you are the lucky buyer!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, just Wow!

I auctioned off a rebuilder Eldon Pink Panther with the box. Showed pictures from all angles. The description says you see all the pieces I have. I can not account for parts count because I do not have the instructions. Sold AS IS. ASK QUESTIONS. The wining bidder messages me saying it is missing a wheel. All 4 wheels are shown in the pictures. Then he offers me a little more than 1/2 of what he bid. WHAT!  I can't cancel the deal until I send an invoice and wait 4 days. Geeze! 

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Wow, just Wow!

I auctioned off a rebuilder Eldon Pink Panther with the box. Showed pictures from all angles. The description says you see all the pieces I have. I can not account for parts count because I do not have the instructions. Sold AS IS. ASK QUESTIONS. The wining bidder messages me saying it is missing a wheel. All 4 wheels are shown in the pictures. Then he offers me a little more than 1/2 of what he bid. WHAT!  I can't cancel the deal until I send an invoice and wait 4 days. Geeze! 

I'm  unclear on this.  You had this eBay listing.  Was it auction style or BYN?  Did you have "make an offer" option?   I guess either way, someone won the auction (for whatever was the closing or BYN price).  Did he pay, or before paying he sent a message offering you 1/2 payment?  Is that even possible? A side deal?  Since eBay doesn't allow members to exchange address or information, how can he conduct a side-deal with you?

If the buyer doesn't pay in so many days, won't he will be penalized by eBay somehow?  Just ignore his messages and if he doesn't pay the winning bid for so many days, something bad will happen to him. Right? If he paid, just send him the kit he won and  be done.  I guess I don't understand.

Edited by peteski

Hey Peter.

The auction was for bidding only. I do not do buy it now. I do not accept offers. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325444270092

The buyer won the bid at 91.00

He then sent me a message that the kit is missing tire and asking if there are broken parts or other missing parts.

I told him all the tires are pictured and I can not do a parts count because I do not have instructions as stated in the description.

He then offered me 50.00 for the kit he bid 91.00 on. 

I wanted to cancel the sale right then, but eBay said I have to send an invoice and wait 4 days before I can cancel the sale. 

Once the time passes, I'll block him and cancel the sale. 

Scott

Oh ok. I thought there was something weird that eBay allowed to occur.  It was just a low-life non-paying buyer.  I used to, but haven't sold anything on eBay for a while. Isn't there something eBay does for non-paying seller.  I guess you have to send him the invoice so eBay cana ding him for non-paying? 

Also, if you were to agree to his terms, how would you complete that transaction? After all eBay will send him to PayPal with $91.00 (plush shipping) charge.  You can't change that, right?  Or would he pay the full amount, then you would refund him the difference?  Anyway, that is a sleazy buyer.

• 2 weeks later...