Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, keyser said:

I meant Happy Days set in 50’s, Monkees in 60’s

You are correct so I don’t know what the connection between The car and Fonzie is? Anyone know? The Monkees originally ran from 1966 to 1968 and Happy Days ran from 1974 to 1984.

 

Edited by NOBLNG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Selling the Monkeymobile relabeled as Happy Days vehicle has nothing to do with the timeline of the shows or what time period is depicted by the shows.  It is called "merchandising". and it is all about selling stuff and making profits.  Someone figured out that if they take existing model and package it in a new box and new decals, that seemed like a winner to the sales department.  Model companies do that all the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm always in awe of the folks who'll bid in $1 increments hours or days before the end of an auction.

Do you really think that nobody else is going to bump your bid by another dollar in 3 days? Really?

All it accomplishes is running the price up needlessly...so of course it's encouraged by eBay: "Bid NOW so you can get a deal !!!"

But logic isn't a strong seller these days.

Don't ignore those. I once bid $12 on a sprint car drivers uniform , and the driver is in the sprint car hall of fame. When the auction ended, I won. A few of my friends saw it but figured it would go through the roof. I ended up the only bidder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, Racephoto1 said:

Don't ignore those. I once bid $12 on a sprint car drivers uniform , and the driver is in the sprint car hall of fame. When the auction ended, I won. A few of my friends saw it but figured it would go through the roof. I ended up the only bidder.

Unless you placed several bids in one dollar increments to arrive at that $12 then you misunderstood what Ace mentioned. 

Those "nickel and dimers" as I call them, bid in one dollar increments trying to outbid a higher bid placed earlier by someone, and ebay is doing the automatic proxy bidding for that earlier bidder, outbidding the "nickel and dimer".   You have to understand how eBay's automatic proxy bidding works for this to make sense to you. Maybe people do not understand thst eBay does the bidding automatically for the earlier bidder who placed a large bid earlier, but the high bid amount that shows is only the minimum of the bid increment above the lower bid.  It is actually simpler than my poor explanation.

Then there are bidders who bid some high amount early on, then "cement" that bid towards the end of the auction by placing even larger bid.  If that bidder wins the auction you will see two bids for the same amount placed by the same bidder, but showing different day/time of the bid.

There is a whole science to understanding various bidding tricks.  My method is simple: I snipe.  Doesn't  guarantee that I  win, but it minimizes the bid creep.

What you did I considered a "lucky break". You were the lone bidder and got the item for the starting price.  I see lots of bidders who bid the starting price bid, but most of the time they are outbid.  You got lucky that nobody else wanted the item.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

It's amazing what some sellers try to palm off. Even moreso, that there are buyers who will bite. Take this dude cruzone, for instance, who lists stuff like this

Johan 1960s Marlin American Motors model Car Kit 1/25 scale C-1900 vintage

Sure, he adds this in the seller notes

“The kit is missing many parts, including body frame suspension ,engine tires, etc. Instructions included. The box is in decent shape. There is some edge wear.”

This is what you get if you're stupid enough to bid for or buy it.

cruzone.jpg.058ff7a0211c13241037c2ecf11b3793.jpg

He lists a number of similar part tree specials like this.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It's amazing what some sellers try to palm off. Even moreso, that there are buyers who will bite. Take this dude cruzone, for instance, who lists stuff like this

Johan 1960s Marlin American Motors model Car Kit 1/25 scale C-1900 vintage

Sure, he adds this in the seller notes

“The kit is missing many parts, including body frame suspension ,engine tires, etc. Instructions included. The box is in decent shape. There is some edge wear.”

This is what you get if you're stupid enough to bid for or buy it.

cruzone.jpg.058ff7a0211c13241037c2ecf11b3793.jpg

He lists a number of similar part tree specials like this.

Wow....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

“A railroad mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We’re working to deliver your package as soon as possible.”

”Departed from Facility Riverside, CA”

I’ll take, “Hoodlums still wreaking havoc in L.A. train yards” for $600, Alex. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just to update. It finally did get delivered on May 10. Funny thing is the tracking info changed too! Very odd!

7CF077AE-25D5-477A-B460-855C140C2062.png

Edited by JohnU
Spellcheck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

And now for something completely different...

I ordered a part for my riding mower after work on Monday the 6th. It showed a shipping label was created that day. The seller is in California  and I am just south of Pittsburgh Pa. It was put in the mail on Tuesday the 7th. It was in my mailbox today, the 8th. Wowzer!  I did not pay for next day or 2 day shipping.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DPNM said:

And now for something completely different...

I ordered a part for my riding mower after work on Monday the 6th. It showed a shipping label was created that day. The seller is in California  and I am just south of Pittsburgh Pa. It was put in the mail on Tuesday the 7th. It was in my mailbox today, the 8th. Wowzer!  I did not pay for next day or 2 day shipping.

It's amazing what a great job the USPS is capable of doing, and even more amazing how uneven and sporadic the service is.

I still have those sewing machines to photograph, too.    :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a surprise fer sure. 

And back to reality, I had purchased some sewing machine parts on Sunday night. The label was created and they did ship on Monday the 6th. It shows as having left Sacramento on the 7th. I figure the next update should have them in Pittsburgh. It's usually 4 or 5 days so I'm not concerned at this time.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I still have those sewing machines to photograph, too.    :D

 

Looking forward to seeing them. When you can Bill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...