Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Outlaws & Hot Rods

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, matthijsgrit said:

Saw this on Facebook (it's a model!!)

[...]

That's the spirit!  That is well done.

This was at a local car show last weekend.  I told the guy that I grew up with a 190, so had a good conversation.  It's a 220, but he put a V8 in the front seat. He has fun getting reactions from purists.  He has done sacrilege with a few cars.  These were very common, used as taxis in Europe, you can't get the money out of a restoration, unlike a 190SL or Gullwing.  So I think it's fun!

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

6 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

WTF indeed! Inside it's kinda like a dragster, driving from where the backseat was.

Some more pics here (although I find the article a bit negative...) https://www.generationhighoutput.com/it-belongs-in-a-museum/

Car shows tend to separate the youngsters from the old farts.  The owner has a grey ZZ Top beard.  The blogger didn't get any more information than me.  Good to see he drives it over 100 miles, Flagstaff is north and Phoenix south of me.  The YT video is extremely annoying. 😖

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Interesting thread. I have a 1961 190D that is pretty roached out. I always wanted to do something wild with it. 

Cool!  If I had the ambition (money plus time plus garage) would like to create a Coupe.  I grew up with the '61 with gas engine.
8944128162_473f8d8ddd_o.jpg.f11945340bf470ef29172cc141259718.jpg

For the love of God.... why do they try to turn Mercedes and other imports into hot rods?  They’re built to be nice automobiles, not hot rods. The lowering the stance, high performance engines, narrow tires on fat rims isn’t pleasing to the eye. Leave them as they are. Just another attempt to be luxury ricers. Did I mention I hate ricers? LOL!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

For the love of God.... why do they try to turn Mercedes and other imports into hot rods? They’re built to be nice automobiles, not hot rods.

Maybe you should take that up with AMG and every other semi-in-house Euro-tuner since the dawn of time...like Abarth, Autodelta, etc.

Factory hot-rod Bentley, anybody?

1928 Bentley Le Mans Racer to be sold for $7m at Auction ...

2002 Bentley Continental R Le Mans | F20 | Monterey 2016

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

For the love of God.... why do they try to turn Mercedes and other imports into hot rods?  They’re built to be nice automobiles, not hot rods. The lowering the stance, high performance engines, narrow tires on fat rims isn’t pleasing to the eye. Leave them as they are. Just another attempt to be luxury ricers. Did I mention I hate ricers? LOL!

because they can, old mercs are only expensive to you guys, and even then only the old rare ones are valuable. On this side of the pond mercedes are taxis and cars middle managers buy because they think they have made it, even the sls and slr lose lots of value when they leave the store so you can get a 2 or 3 year old merc for the same price as hot hatch. while you guys have recent mustangs and camaros as your cheap rwd cars we have mercs and bmws as ours

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

because they can, old mercs are only expensive to you guys, and even then only the old rare ones are valuable. On this side of the pond mercedes are taxis and cars middle managers buy because they think they have made it, even the sls and slr lose lots of value when they leave the store so you can get a 2 or 3 year old merc for the same price as hot hatch. while you guys have recent mustangs and camaros as your cheap rwd cars we have mercs and bmws as ours

Cheap RWD cars? Hardly.... a 2022 Chevy Camaro can set you back upwards to $64k brand new. I hardly would call that cheap. Even the Ford trucks can run as high as $60-$80k depending on the package you get. Even the new Ford Mustangs can run upwards to &47k.

BTW... just for laughs.... y’all got it all wrong..... your European automobiles have steering wheel and the wrong side, drive on the wrong side of the road and y’all talk funny! ROFLMAO! 

• Haha 1