Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Outlaws & Hot Rods

10 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

For the love of God.... why do they try to turn Mercedes and other imports into hot rods?  They’re built to be nice automobiles, not hot rods. The lowering the stance, high performance engines, narrow tires on fat rims isn’t pleasing to the eye. Leave them as they are. Just another attempt to be luxury ricers. Did I mention I hate ricers? LOL!

I saw in another topic about plug wire size, a raging argument about how we Americans are dissing everyone else in the world by not referring to metric sizes.  Same thing with car culture, different continents, the only difference is which way the car was sent on a ship, which is why Mercedes cost more to begin with here, they are still the same body, engine, interior, the exception is our Federal government mandated battering ram bumpers, smog equipment that choked the engine, and crappy headlights.  Still are mass produced cars.  Some would say they are poor quality, how many 600 SELs with the dual pane windows and V12 engines do you see on the road nowadays?  I'm not a fan of the rubber band tires on wagon wheels myself, the Donk look is...... dumb.  (had to catch myself)  Euro VW Golfs get the extreme "stance" like the JDM "ricers" (I'm on my third Honda Civic, '77, '87, '16 so I can say that).  I'm digging what Hoonigan is doing to a Rolls Royce, those cars lost desirability and value because they self destruct (like most cars come to think of it).  Dealer sticker price is irrelevant for this topic.

If you don't like what you see here, move along.  Perhaps this turns you on:
1172589147_BigFootMercedes.jpg.1dcbee5015382a198566d01b97b848c4.jpg

Why hot rod a Mercedes? Because it’s there. It’s what the owner wants. I’m 52. Street rods and “classic” muscle cars are all before my time. There was one ‘55 Chevy and one ‘68 Camaro at my high school. All those cars were already out of the price range of teenagers in the 1980s. Now? Forget about it. I paid $4k last year for a 1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E. I paid too much. They sell for less, but this one was within driving distance. I didn’t have to ship it cross country and hope it’s in good shape. That has value. It’s a nice looking car that rides like a cloud and handles great. It’s waiting for a slot to become available at a local shop for engine and transmission swap. It will get a Mercedes-Benz 5 liter M119 V-8 and 5 speed auto trans with aftermarket controllers for both. I do like the style of some older cars. I LOVE the ‘70-‘73 Rally Sport Camaro. Starting with a $4k ‘70-‘73 would bankrupt me. It would be a pile of rust. It would also handle like a pig. This little Mercedes doesn’t need to slow down through the curves on a fun road nearby. It never breaks a sweat. It has 158hp now. Adding 600 more sounds just about right. I do want it to look stock, but maybe go crazy with the paint. Pearl Lavender sounds nice. Maybe Mary Kay pearl pink. Yes, I would drive the heck out of a pink or lavender car. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

BTW... just for laughs.... y’all got it all wrong..... your European automobiles have steering wheel and the wrong side, drive on the wrong side of the road and y’all talk funny! ROFLMAO! 

I agree, most european cars are lhd, its only the uk and malta that drive rhd,  lol seriously, its just a bit of banter and no offence intended

Edited by stitchdup

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

BTW... just for laughs.... y’all got it all wrong..... your European automobiles have steering wheel and the wrong side, drive on the wrong side of the road and y’all talk funny! ROFLMAO! 

I agree, most european cars are lhd, its only the uk and malta that drive rhd,  lol

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/30/2020 at 3:50 PM, 89AKurt said:

Topic for inspiration, on how far can one go with sacrilegious blasphemy in ruining a perfectly good Mercedes Benz.   AMG started the idea of hot rodding them, and now they are a factory subsidiary, so they shouldn't count.  Maybach could be included, the Excelero was a one off hot rod.  B+B was a customizer.  I don't think gold wrapped Benzes should count, they are a dime a dozen. ?  If there is a cult name for these cars, let me know.

-------------
https://www.sklubla.com/
The made a mould to create these car, no 300SL were destroyed in the making of these S Klub LA 300SL.
The panels are so perfect, you can bolt them onto factory cars or have factory part bolted on these.

• 5 months later...
52 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

SEMA show cars, new video (title at the top) screenshots.  The blue one has the same style wheels I used for my 190SL project.  I can't believe they used real 300SLs!  The SLR looks completely scratch built.

976986288_SEMA300SL.jpg.d371e381fc0b6b723b4223dc58e72909.jpg

1531637565_SEMA300SLred.jpg.3dc0d964fcbdef7d1bd36b8b7c189aa9.jpg
1734454141_SEMA300SLgrey1.jpg.1266ef9ec3c24cfec684c98875aeac62.jpg
54296373_SEMA300SLgrey2.jpg.f3ef1e9025385cb1b53982b642b65bb4.jpg
63545214_SEMA300SLR.jpg.6dc6e792a510f1f105b8f2ae27bd2dbe.jpg

I dont think many of those are real, the front of car to hood areas look smaller on those than the real thing and theres kits for converting slk which the blue car still has the dash from. they were all built by s-klub la though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can understand people being upset when someone buys a nice survivor, or a restored car and then chops it up, but if you take a shell or a rusted field car and do something to give it a new life, that is cool! I knew a guy who had an old Cadillac that had been in the family for years. A nicely preserved and loved old car that still had all the original parts and drove like a dream. He put it up for sale as one of the last of the family and someone bought it and swore to love it. The next thing he knew the new buyer had stripped it and made a hot rod out of it. The poor guy was gutted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

.... Not a fan of the Rhino-liner paint, but wicked cool.

Yep, a "very nearly there, but not quite" for me. Entirely subjective opinion, but if a zillion dollars dropped out of the sky where I could buy it or have someone replicate it, I'd go a couple of increments more toward widebody flares for the back fenders, and put ordinary old stock headlights back in. I can imagine black on black fine, but gloss on the body and just flat on the bumpers and other former chrome stuff. Can't guess what the glowing toaster element is for at the bottom of the radiator, though .....

• Like 1