Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pescarolo Judd 01 LMP

Completed today this is a Pescarolor Judd  LeMans Prototype from the 2011 season. Car is painted in Splash Colors SP361 Deep Impact Blue and Tamiya TS-26 white. 2k clear was used as the final coat.   This piece was a decal challenge to say the least. Much masking was required. Decals were by Cartograf and were excellent in color and register. They responded well to solvent and heat but many of them still fought me til the end.  The photo etch fret was a nice touch and despite the complexity of the car the kit was fairly simple. It was defi9netly an interesting subject. See the captions under the pictures for extra info about this build. Thanks for looking. DSC07112.JPG.2892a23722dcd8488139a6b4277bb928.JPGBox art showing the real car.

DSC07114.JPG.c81da0df0a54c8bf51434c80d1476485.JPGI made a copy of the decal sheet on my computer then coverd the copy with clear package tape. This allowed me to make the paint masks out of Tamiya tape. The tape removed easily from the copy and was also positionable on the model.  There were a "lot" of  decals.

DSC07132.JPG.ca9152fef805ae0d4a41b6069f35e116.JPGCompleted model. Front wheels are painted in Tamiya TS40 metallic black and dry brushed with a touch of silver. Wheels steer but barely. Fit in the wells was very tight. DSC07133.JPG.cf1bfa474723a93518c648fe371aaf47.JPG3/4 back veiw. Note the phot etch braces. they were very fragile and easily bent.

DSC07134.JPG.1171a1a1d2d55ab415d18e779a5210d6.JPGSide veiw of the car. The flourescent green decals fought me the hardest and tended to curl up with solvent. The mirrors had to be painted to match these and I got lucky with the match. That stripe along the rocker panels is vinyl tape painted with the same paint as the decal didn't make it. 

DSC07135.JPG.5ca4c8e7c447b0356d06a182b492bbd6.JPGInstructions called for drilling holes in the headrest fro these induction trumpets. I made them out of aluminuin tubing as they looked a lot better than the plastic thingies supplied in the kit. The decals on the roll bars were no piece of cake either. 

DSC07136.JPG.e69c81392cd093dcb2d087f910bd4772.JPGInterior is sparse but well done. I supplied the green material for the seatbelts and the kit has the hardware. 

28 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Amazing to see one of the Simil'R kits put together and definitely to see such good results too. Great build!

Justin....Simil R are not for the feint hearted. Special care must be taken to get everything to line up. I had to insert several aligning pins in the body to get it to sit on the chassis correctly as an example. I have also done their Ford GT kit and the problems were similar. Thanks for the kind words. 

14 hours ago, afx said:

Very nice Rich.

Thanks JC

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks great !  More decals than paint ! ?

Yes it was...and thanks Ray. 

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very impressive Rich and thanks for sharing your masking technique.

Thank you Gary....that tip went all the way to Belgium BTW.....<G>

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks JC

Yes it was...and thanks Ray. 

Thank you Gary....that tip went all the way to Belgium BTW.....<G>

I’m impressed... it looks like a challenge, just the decals alone! Nice effort keeping with it to the end Rich?

21 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Beautiful model of a fantastic looking racing car. Very well done.

Thank you Phil

13 hours ago, Dave B said:

That is an excellent build Rich, well done!!

Dave B

Thanks Dave,  just got Pete's new book on the Shadow and there are 30 pages of text  and photo for the AVS so I am inspired.

10 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

She is a stunning looking model, Rich!  Everything I have read about these kits have made me shy away from building mine.  You have really done a beautiful job on this one.  Thanks for sharing all of your tips, tricks and techniques!

Thanks Josh, I have always felt that sharing was what this hobby was all about. 

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks

2 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks

15 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks Dave,  just got Pete's new book on the Shadow and there are 30 pages of text  and photo for the AVS so I am inspired.

I have my copy sitting under the Christmas tree ?

Edited by Dave B
signature

2 hours ago, Turbo95187 said:

Gorgeous as always Rich.  Will have to come up and see it in the cabinet.  Aren't those fan shaped louvers beside the cockpit pe parts?  How did they fit?

Brett..those were all seperate PE pieces and they did not fit well. The attachment points were very vague and you had to go pretty much by eye. Not as perfect as I may have wanted but done anyway. Initially I used Micro Liqui-tape, which is a very sticky water base contact adhesive that I use for all tiny pe parts. Then several layers of paint and clear all hold them in place. You have to be very careful when handling the model not to touch these as they are very fragile. I only knocked one off during handling and that was pretty good considering there are 12 of them. You'll have fun with this when you do yours. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Superb build! I'm guessing that you made the decal copy to paint the body white for where the white decals would go? 

That would be correct.  Turns out it wasn't really necessary as the white  Cartograf decals covered the blue with no bleed through. But it was probably a case of better safe than sorry. 

On 12/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, majel said:

Great looking model!  Excellent job on what had to be a decaling nightmare.

Thank you for the compliment....and yes it was. 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Silver Foxx said:

Real nice to see one of these built , you have built a great looking model , really nice decal work .

Thank you for the compliment

1 hour ago, Dragline said:

I have two Siml'R Ford GT's in my stash and I must say it looks challenging. You crushed this one dude.

Bob....have my Simil'R Ford GT built. The door fit between the front cover will need some serious attention. Fit the body to the chassis first and the rest will go without much problem. The decal sheet is very good BTW and you will have no problems there.  Cartograf rules!  Thanks for the kind words.