Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Dodge Dart

hedotwo

Proud of this  two month build, could be better paint and chrome but with my skill level I'm happy for sure and will make a nice addition to my display case.  I used Tamiya white primer then Createx Wicked Red for the body, leaving the B pillar in primer white.  Cleared with Duplicolor Perfect Match.  Interior was with craft acrylics.  I used resin taillights and backup lights.  Lucky to score the correct wheel covers, although the tires are not original.  I liked the medium WW's better in this case.  Being from Wisconsin, I'm partial to the color scheme ?

IMG_7976.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7964.JPG

IMG_7967.JPG

IMG_7969.JPG

Edited by hedotwo

12 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

fantastic save....what did you use to rechrome the bumpers???

Spaz Stix aerosol.  Not happy with them though.  I may end up taking the front and rear off and re-doing them.  I'm in the middle of an Edsel CV restore and for these bumpers I used, for the first time, enamel gloss black.  I sprayed the Spaz Stix shortly after the enamel became good and tacky and the SS really laid down and covered nicely.  In my unscientific opinion it worked much better than using lacquer underneath.  I think I read that somewhere too.

I'm glad you included pictures of the "before" as it helps to better appreciate the "after" pictures. You did a beautiful job of restoring this former glue bomb . The colors look great together and the finish is very smooth looking also. 

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nice! The hardest part in these is to restore areas where accessories were heavily glued on.. especially skirts!

Skirt rash.  Speaking for myself, I don't remember adding skirts as a kid in the late 50's/early 60's, but it sure seems to have be a popular thing to do.  Especially convertibles.  Some are worse to remove than others, and I just finished removing a pair from a '58 Edsel that I can say they were the hardest of the many I've done to date.  Seems like they're a quarter inch thick and the top edge of the skirt fits up tight against the lower trim on the side cove.  They were a bugger.  I'll post a few in progress pics in the WIP section soon.

Great save. A lovely build, and from such humble beginnings. The '60 Dart is my favourite Mopar from this era, thanks to a Hot Rod Magazine project car of the time. You did a great job on this one. Hhmmm... one of these may become a grail find for me. Is this a JoHan kit?

Great save on a beautiful car! I finished a Modelhaus resin version earlier this year to replicate my parents when I was born. It was red too, but we never could find a picture of the top (no one can remember 54 years ago when it was sold) to verify if it was red, white accented like yours, or all white. I decided to go all red and if we ever find a picture can add the white.

I've seen factory brochures for the Polara/Matador showing the white roof accent like I used, but can't verify it was an option on the Darts.  I've seen photos of Darts with that scheme but I'm not a Mopar man so I can't say for sure those were correct.  I'm guessing the accents were offered on both Darts and Polaras but either way I liked it this way and went with it ;)