Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vern Luce 33 Ford

Lowlife ! !

I really liked the proportions, lines, and stance of your first mockup, thought it was spot-on for a radical yet practical, drivable rod.

I actually think it was much more attractive than your 1:1 inspiration.

You would, of course, need to section the grille to get sufficient ground clearance, but careful juggling of the proportions would keep the look.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hi Martin!

Now, this IFS looks nice! It seems to have fairly delicate a-arms, which is the goal. I can't wait to see it in place. 

Speaking of loving long and low rods, I replicated a famous car that Magoo built in the 80's, only, just a smidge extended. As they say: longer, lower, wider... They only way to cure this "illness" is to build them, I'm afraid!

CT 

DSCF3230.JPG

Great to see you back at it Martin. What a project!  This style of 33/34 Rod has been on my to-do list for 25+ years, but never got round to it. 
That IFS looks great. It looks very similar to a white metal one from a company called R&D (I think). Not sure if they’re still around?

Your project looks great. I’ll be watching for sure. 

Thanks guys !

Claude, love your magoo build, incredible details !

Michael, your 33 looks very cool, you should continue with it !!

Thanks Sonny it's funny how this style of 33/34 coupes never get built !  I don't remember seeing any finished cars like this ?

Maybe their cursed, hope not I'm hoping to finish this one day !

Thanks Rob but I'll try the resin set i showed earlier first. This is very fragile so I might end up looking for new A arms to use.. ?

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input Gents !

Ive been concentrating getting the main parts together, before fussing over the details. Im using a new floor, new suspensions, new engine, new wheelbase and radically altered suspension height. So nothing fits !

I started by fitting the engine, replaced the now shortened front chassis rails in a new position, then new engine mounts.
Inside a sharpie pen was cut up and used for the gearbox hump and a tube used for the prop cover. This will be carpeted next.
New chassis rails, with a new gearbox mount, ( including holes for the exhaust to pass through )
Front crossmember was just too narrow so i had to split it and mount it on a new crossmember.
Ive also rebuilt the firewall, again, to close the gap more around the gearbox.

Needs a panel to finish off the gearbox / firewall area, but I can't find anything yet that I can use for this ?

All painted black for now, i should have taken pics before the painting ! !

20210115_194005.jpg

20210115_194032.jpg

20210115_194224.jpg

Hi Martin!

It moves forward, very well, bravo!

For your floor "bell" to tie the sharpie hump to the firewall, you may want to give a try to either: nose drops squeezable plastic bottles have a styrene screw-on cap (most of the time). This happens to be just the right size to cover the transmission bellhousing/case most of the time. Slice and glue the required section, and voilà!

Or, you could try to use a section of blister pack, like the type used to protect new lightbulbs. Many have rounded shapes that you could cross-section to adapt and bridge your current gap. 

Just my two cents... Hope it helps!

CT 

Good to see you back Martin and with such a cool project, I’ll be following your progress with the build.
I have  looked at those IFS kits from Motobitz and look forward to your feedback on them. I like the instruction to ‘clean off flash’ when it’s hard to spot the parts amongst the excess plastic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, crossfire 2004 said:

Good to see you back Martin and with such a cool project, I’ll be following your progress with the build.
I have  looked at those IFS kits from Motobitz and look forward to your feedback on them. I like the instruction to ‘clean off flash’ when it’s hard to spot the parts amongst the excess plastic.

Thanks guys...

Yes Stuart both units are VERY fragile, im leaving adding the front suspension as late as possible to avoid breaking it. Its also very delicate to remove and clean up, but it looks like it will be worth it... Hopefully !