Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baja Edsel

Just finished this the other day and thought I would share it with everyone.  I am always looking for the unusual to build and when I saw a photo in a Hot Rod Magazine of a '58 Edsel tricked out for the Baja, I just had to build it!  I started out with the AMT/ERTL '58 Edsel Pacer kit, which in itself is a nice little kit and then went to town modifying the body and interior.  I used a reworked NASCAR roll cage, bucket seats from the parts bin, wheels and tires from long forgotten kits and numerous scratch built items.  The driving lights were scratched and I used wine bottle foil for the light covers.  The covers on the roof lights are my own design that I made using dry transfer numbers and decal paper.  The color scheme is a take off on the Mexican national flag.  I made the seatbelt harnesses using PE hardware and paper for the belts.  The dash was modified and I added a CB radio and fire extinguisher along with a road map.  The chassis was detail painted and I added a scratched engine/oil pan shield and aluminum tubing exhaust.  I am not sure what all the "extras" on the body are, they just looked really cool in the photos of the real car, so on they went!

This was an fun and enjoyable build and was a departure from my usual factory showroom builds. 

Enjoy the photos!

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

• Like 3

Terry, this is incredible! Everything just looks so well thought out and executed... it’s obvious you are very skilled. This is one of those models that you can look at over and over again and it doesn’t disappoint. I love these kind of Baja cars, and all the tiniest details you created and added are simply marvelous and inspiring. I’m beginning to think paper may be the best material for seatbelts because yours look absolutely real. And then there’s that fuel stain below the gas cap...you can practically smell it! I really can’t say enough... Bravo!

Edited by Venom

• 2 weeks later...

You see my avatar. That's my Hi Jumper race buggy I built back in the 70s and raced to a championship. At its1st race, near Barstow, California, in the 115° heat, there was a wedding ceremony at the start line just before the 1st racer got the green flag.Scott Gilliland married Louise Van Trease. And immediately after kissing, the bride and groom both put on their race helmets and got into Louise's Bill Stroppe built Edsel to start the race. VERY MUCH like this one and perhaps the one in the magazine article. There were actually a few Edsels built for offroad racing by various people. I even saw the picked over bones of one down along a race course in Baja once. Not much left but the main body shell, frame and roll cage slowly rusting away in the desert. And that was many decades ago.

Very good job on this. From a long time offroad racer.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments.  In answer to DustyMojave and Sledsel, yes I did use the Bill Stroppe Edsel as my influence to build this.  I was initially going to use the same paint scheme that was on the original car but then decided to go with something more related to the driving light covers -  the red, white and green of the Mexican flag.  And thanks to DustyMojave for the back story concerning Scott and Louise, I found it very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...