Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits in Walmart For Christmas

Those prices are unbelievable, I'd expect to have to double those prices then put a £ sign in front of them instead of dollars. The last kit shop I knew of here in the North West of England was in Preston and the AMT truck kits were £50.00 and 1/25 cars were £40.00 just way beyond "hobby" money for me, couldn't justify the expense. SO BUY THEM, BUY THEM ALL NOW! 

Mind you, I've got about 150 kits stashed all over the house to build one day. So I shouldn't complain, but you can never have all the kits you need. 

By the way,  that shop had an inventory of £3,000,000 of kits and model railway stock. When the owner retired, no one would pay the price to take the business so it closed. Another model shop gone. 

Edited by Rockford

It's up to the regional manager and the local managers to have models in their store. Van Wert Oh/Celina Oh/Lima Oh is not carrying models. The Decatur Indiana Wal Mart  is carrying the kit's though. I got the Pinto and weekend wrench'n kits. 21.34 each after taxes...

2 hours ago, Rockford said:

Those prices are unbelievable, I'd expect to have to double those prices then put a £ sign in front of them instead of dollars. The last kit shop I knew of here in the North West of England was in Preston and the AMT truck kits were £50.00 and 1/25 cars were £40.00 just way beyond "hobby" money for me, couldn't justify the expense. SO BUY THEM, BUY THEM ALL NOW! . 

Goes to show how we should be thankful when we can find kits at a decent price...I saw half of those and thought "meh, I can pick one of these up at Hobby Lobby with my coupon for $18" :D.  I wouldn't want to pay the prices you're quoting for some of these overseas!  A NICE well done new issue kit, sure, but some of these probably have pretty tired tooling and be showing their age by this point...

These displays are going to be most often found at the locations that not only has them last year, but also the ones that had the brief time with an actual hobby aisle about 5-7 years ago. If there's anything Wal*Mart does well it's inventory management and if a store can't sell it, it won't stock it. That's why of you'll notice sometimes Wal*Marts within 15 minutes of each other will carry completely different inventories beyond the essential staples.

Last year there were no kits at my closest Wal-Mart.  After somebody posted about it in here, I got excited and ran over to the store.  Looked all over, and finally asked an employee if they had any plastic model kits.  She looked at me like I had 2 heads, and neither of them was speaking a language she understood.  

As somebody else said, this seems to be a regional thing.  

9 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Cool!, Thank you sir!.... ?? Guess I'll look at my local store here in Dearborn and see what they have.... Or drive too the one in Westland.... ?

The ones in Westland were not on a pallet PDQ but on an end cap in the main toy aisle but on the opposite side.  

14 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Which 2, Luc?

Mark guessed one, the other was a rather great one, but only as an annual ;)

14 hours ago, Mark said:

If I were to guess, I'd say the Yenko Camaro and '71 Nova SS.

That makes 3 ;)

As many of you know the Covit-19 pandemic, brought the classic hobbies under the attention of the general public again, with soaring sales as a result, and personally do hope that many newbies stick with this wonderful hobby, but despite the great efforts that specific company makes, retrieving and updating many childhood dream kits,  I don't think IMHO that the aforementioned releases notwithstanding the great subject matter, are helping the cause.

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens
grammar

None in the store nearest to me, not that I was looking for any of the ones pictured (even as extras or for parts/conversions).  The stores further out in the suburbs might have them, but I doubt that as the stores here haven't carried kits since about 2007.