Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Daxman

56 Ford FD-100 Hover Truck

Recommended Posts

Hello all.

Here's my version of the 56 Foose pick up. This was another fun build. Once I built the two front turbines, I was on a roll.

IMG_7975.thumb.JPG.61f5a627bb39bbd1aa5eeedd8b9a7ceb.JPG

Most of the extra flight details are Gundam parts. The two front turbines are from Gundam Virtue's shoulder armor. It's been modified to fit where the front fender was.

IMG_7938.thumb.JPG.020368b410b1ddb946ea6a210dbb65a4.JPG

I like to add large intakes for a dieselpunk vibe. The grill housing has been narrowed down a bit.

IMG_7979.thumb.JPG.2ea46f61c20e23ea186d03e31b009fb7.JPG

I debated back and forth about leaving the truck bed on or off. Decided to leave it off to show the rear engines and gadgetry.

IMG_7982.thumb.JPG.1dad6262cf9aea04d667e725e8aa4fe0.JPG

The two front thrusters have two turbines inside the housing. You can see in these pics. I thought it was important to match the rear turbines as well, one on top of the other.

IMG_7983.thumb.JPG.872e478f1a91a4c28d975486f1187af0.JPG

I always try to stick to a sliver of realism. I like the mechanical bits to look like they serve a purpose, not just some random parts glued on haphazardly.

IMG_7946.thumb.JPG.bb71c058457d723eb508d26e7cf7b513.JPGIMG_7944.thumb.JPG.bf4b8c3d183ea654be292727cd011b5f.JPG

I am really happy with the front visor. If you've built this kit, you''l l know that the roof comes separate from the cab roof. I cut the roof in thirds and used the 2 ends to create the visor assembly.

IMG_7994.thumb.JPG.6c9acd5445735730a7288a3984237079.JPG

Here's under the hood. Lots of miscellaneous stuff put together.

IMG_8001.thumb.JPG.1f9b15f370db7c1186fe13dec1b7d27e.JPG

I'll try to get some of the smaller details up later.

Thanks for looking.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dax!

Very impressive, bravo!

A great future is waiting for you in a movie studio's  props department if you ever want it...

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dax! Your builds are some of the coolest I have seen. Your “hint of realism” is indeed superb. They look like they would fly for sure! I wish my brain worked like that, the imagination and creativity is just fantastic. Very well done, awesome weathering, top shelf all round.

Cheers, Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys!!! Glad you all like it.

13 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dax!

Very impressive, bravo!

A great future is waiting for you in a movie studio's  props department if you ever want it...

CT

That's a dream job right there! The next Mad Max?

 

Here's some more pictures. A few close ups as well.

IMG_7961.thumb.JPG.35ba34c57ac33ade29446985b36d049d.JPG

I use the hexagon Styrene rod to make the bolt heads. I feel it adds weight to the parts.

IMG_7966.thumb.JPG.e43f278b72bf881077f9954cb72a6ac8.JPG

I don't remember where I got the monitor display from. It's been in my spare parts bin forever. It fits the truck, big and bulky.

IMG_7958.thumb.JPG.940525ad9682afbf6f325a3af4759a22.JPGIMG_7949.thumb.JPG.01fe4bc01726c2e3fa4dff6183e7a3b8.JPGKUBZ2592.JPG.b0d8cd572d1093f223d7b75cb12f483b.JPG

The two A-arms that are mounted to the top of the front turbines is my favorite part. I also really like the way the visor turned out.

IMG_7970.thumb.JPG.e001695013796ff69690045a66f78328.JPG

Can anyone guess what vehicle are the side mirrors from? Hint: They're not side mirrors on the vehicle I took them from.

IMG_7969.thumb.JPG.89f3b2af3ca095de2498567a872b2db5.JPGIMG_E7199.thumb.JPG.805c5907306e83254121174099d61ba2.JPG

Here's the undercarriage before it was finished and painted. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of it weathered with all the plumbing hooked up..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Dax! Your builds are some of the coolest I have seen. Your “hint of realism” is indeed superb. They look like they would fly for sure! I wish my brain worked like that, the imagination and creativity is just fantastic. Very well done, awesome weathering, top shelf all round.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you Steve! I appreciate the kind words!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, Daxman said:

Once I built the two front turbines, I was on a roll.

That's funny!

You're on a "roll" - with a HOVER CRAFT! ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dax, grodudulle77 is absolutely right. Your weathering is gorgeous. Way above my ability. I really like these steampunk things but I lack the imagination what parts I can use to put such a project together. Did you do a more detailed description in the WIP section? And to be honest, I don't know where the side mirrors came from. And yes, you can be proud of how the whole roof and of course the visor turned out. Take care and stay safe, Juergen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's another amazing build Dax!  Just the perfect amount of weathering (the blue color is perfect) and aeronautical detail on an unlikely vehicle, the materialization of an aircraft seen in a dream after watching Star Wars and Mad Max.  Truly genious!!!   By the way, I give my tongue to the cat for the mirrors but they looks like fog lights from an off-road truck. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW - I did not know what I was going to see when I opened the post. This is so unusual but also exceptionally well done. I am glad I had a look.

Edited by Phildaupho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it!!  The visor, jets, and general detailing are very entertaining. Nice punchy color contrasts and highlighted edges; it's stylized but realistic.  Now I'm eyeing up some of my kits, wondering which one should become a jet-rod :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Thank you all. I love the comments.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, HJK said:

Hi Dax, grodudulle77 is absolutely right. Your weathering is gorgeous. Way above my ability. I really like these steampunk things but I lack the imagination what parts I can use to put such a project together. Did you do a more detailed description in the WIP section? And to be honest, I don't know where the side mirrors came from. And yes, you can be proud of how the whole roof and of course the visor turned out. Take care and stay safe, Juergen

 

On 12/5/2020 at 4:15 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

That's another amazing build Dax!  Just the perfect amount of weathering (the blue color is perfect) and aeronautical detail on an unlikely vehicle, the materialization of an aircraft seen in a dream after watching Star Wars and Mad Max.  Truly genious!!!   By the way, I give my tongue to the cat for the mirrors but they looks like fog lights from an off-road truck. ?

I must apologize! I hope you didn't spend too long looking at those side mirrors. I thought they were from a 71 Cuda....I was wrong. I have no clue where they originally came from. Please forgive me!


Here's a few pics with the bed of the truck on.

IMG_7680.thumb.JPG.11451feaae18d416417938dc2d58d9db.JPG

These were earlier photos before the build was complete.

IMG_7685.thumb.JPG.d881355d2b6f5d6411985cff14f04ac3.JPG

IMG_7946.thumb.JPG.ff0d29a3f0b4c76b07bc5bc557c7ae97.JPGIMG_7958.thumb.JPG.c969b8217443a5a9349c29d26993147e.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just outstanding. The imagination and ability to visualize...beyond words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 10:35 PM, Daxman said:

Can anyone guess what vehicle are the side mirrors from? Hint: They're not side mirrors on the vehicle I took them from.

Beetle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, Chuck Most said:

Beetle?

Sorry Chuck! And sorry to anyone who started looking at the side mirrors. I thought they were the tail lights from a 71 Cuda. I was mistaken. I don't actually know what they're from. After I posted that question, I looked up photos and the shape is slightly different.

 

Here's some before and after early photos

IMG_6240.thumb.JPG.f5ad1b6dacd0fad0eb76cf311421e5dd.JPG

Before it was narrowed.

IMG_6719.thumb.JPG.9ae5957454bdf279e55632e532c7bd2b.JPG

After.

IMG_6914.thumb.JPG.631cfcdb92b21838827ef5a47196557a.JPG

I get asked a lot about the parts that I use. My first answer is Gundam kits. I will usually modify the parts further to fit the car. I also build in sub-assemblies. I like to pin the parts with Styrene tube. Makes for easy mock ups.

IMG_7307.thumb.JPG.b760d848716c283ee7878b10d6447351.JPG

IMG_7310.thumb.JPG.9ac60fcd3d3afa161ccf9a47a132a64d.JPGIMG_7315.thumb.JPG.8a5afd18442fea9d32d86b0716780868.JPGIMG_7317.thumb.JPG.3f5da08599732f5a8306bc2ff0c41dff.JPG

IMG_7319.thumb.JPG.19bdd63d0233ef026b23804d42b002ef.JPG

 

 

 

Edited by Daxman
Removed 2 photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...