Model Cars Magazine Forum

1989 Valvoline March Indy Car - Al Unser Jr.

The Race

The weather was great for the 1989 race. Sunshine and a little breeze blowing through the stands. The race progressed pretty smoothly throughout the day and then at the final laps it was really exciting. Emerson Fittipaldi led most of the race but Al Unser Jr. took the lead on lap 196 passing Emerson Fittipaldi. Then on lap 199, both Al Unser and Emerson Fittipaldi weaved in and out of lap traffic until turn 3. Emerson went low into the turn as both drivers tried to pass slower traffic. It was out of my sight of vision but I could hear the crowd cheering as the two dueled and then I heard the unmistakable slap of metal hitting the wall and watched as Al Unser slid down the wall backwards right in front of me in K  Stand. Once traffic had passed, Unser's car slid down the track and into the infield grass as the yellow flag flew. Al got out of the car and gave Emo the "thumbs up" as he entered the ambulance. Emerson Fittipaldi won the race under yellow. At this time, Al probably thought that he would never win the Indy 500, but he did go on to win the 1992 and 1994 Indy 500s joining his father and uncle as winners of the Indy 500. By 1996, the 80th running of the Indy 500, an Unser had won 9 of them, over 10% of the races.

The Model

Here's an old Monogram kit that I built mostly box stock with a few exceptions.  I added a seat with a 5-point harness that I built years ago and move from one Indy Car to another as the need arises. I used IndyCal decals on the tires both inside and out. I fashioned a rear wing wickerbill from plastic rod and strip. Mirror foil was used on the mirrors. For other thoughts on this particular kit, please see my WIP. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
grammar

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! ? I enjoy the Indy Car racing, especially the Indy 500 which I haven't missed in the last 44 years until 2020. Its a shame that 13 out of 17 races in 2021 are going to be road races though. I miss the oval racing. Its always fun to put one of these older car together and enjoy the memories. Thanks again for the comments!