Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar

Mike 1017

12 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Upon reading these posts I signed onto Michaels website today and got a discount coupon and bought one of the three Jags they had on the shelf. Was quite disappointed to get home and open the box to find this exact same problem....hood stretched over the A pillars in the bag and not aligning with the body...same as your photo. Is there any way to correct this without cutting the sides of the hood away and regluing and sanding in order to get tighter alignment? Was thinking of dunking the parts in hot water and then taping the hood and body together. I've only requested replacement parts from Revell once in my modeling history....a poorly chromed tree in a Roth Mysterion kit many many years ago. What's the current procedure?

Why not heat it in hot water and slowly and carefully bend it back to its correct position? 

The plastic seems pretty thin. I was able to remedy some of the problem by inserting the chassis frame into the body shell...which pushed out the body sides slightly.... closing the gaps a bit.. A little more massaging is needed ...maybe a hot water bath with some clamping and subsequent cool down will solve the issue. All together...it sure does seem like a nice kit ...

15 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I actually think these are the culprits. They stick out beyond the edge of the hood and body. I cut them flush and it fits fine.

jag1.jpg

jag2.jpg

jag3.jpg

jag4.jpg

Don't think so. Don't see how the location of those little nibs cause the hood sides to fail to properly close up . In fact...first thing I did after de bagging was to trim anything that looked like a sprue attachment point. I noticed when I picked up the bagged body shell and hood....the hood was riding up on the roof and A-Pillars in the bag just as the prior writer posted. I'm thinking his point about the plastic being soft and spread out due to the way it was packed is the cause.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:50 PM, Joe Handley said:

Has anybody run across the Dunlop racing wheels for this kit in Resin?  All I’ve been able to find is from Thingiverse and I don’t have a way to print them.

image.jpeg.bc2ca2e9bf5684a2a18f2cfce03abf9b.jpeg

I am making resin sets of the correct Dunlop wheels (square holes) and the round holes version in 1/8th. As I have made them in 3D CAD, it should not be  big deal to make a smaller version for 1/24.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still confused.  There  was something mentioned here about a problem with the model's body and, that Revell was redoing the molds.

There are currently 2 releases of this kit.

RevellJaguarE-Type7668.jpg.9c3471349c1ca075ea63f1ceb8c0abb3.jpg

Kit number 7668. I assume this is REVEL AG European release.

RevellJaguarE-Type85-4509.jpg.1f3cada5f515d56fc9522b7deebbff56.jpg

Kit number 85-4509. I assume this is Revell's American release.

If the body correction was done, which kit has the more accurate body?  Ir are they both have identical plastic parts.

Are both kits molded in red?

Edited by peteski

35 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'm still confused.  There  was something mentioned here about a problem with the model's body and, that Revell was redoing the molds.

There are currently 2 releases of this kit.

RevellJaguarE-Type7668.jpg.9c3471349c1ca075ea63f1ceb8c0abb3.jpg

Kit number 7668. I assume this is REVEL AG European release.

If the body correction was done, which kit has the more accurate body?  Ir are they both have identical plastic parts.

There were no changes made to the body other than the sink mark issues that were caused by improper mold flow. They are both identical. 

More broadly the body wasn't corrected for accuracy, and there were never any plans to correct it for accuracy, and to be honest they are aware of this thread and it's rumors implying the roof was being addressed. Since it was never even a topic of conversation much wonder has occurred as to where that set of "facts" came from in the first place.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Thanks James. How about the question whether both of these releases are molded in red plastic?

Yes both are red. Even with as many import kits as I buy, I still don't get the point of the molded in color stuff on kits clearly aimed at adults (eg the Aoshima LB Huracan being molded in colors as it's a transition to glue kit for younger/beginner modelers makes sense to me). Perhaps it's a Euro/Asia vs. U.S. prerogative and while Revell US will develop US kits these Jags (and upcoming 911s) are being reboxes solely for normality on shelving. Every retail setup in North America be it Hobby Lobby, Michael's or the LHS are designed for our shoe box sized boxes and if they carry Euro Revell products at all they're usually buried in another part of the store by the Asian imports never to be seen again or piled down with the tractor trailers and AMT Art Boxes & Tins that haven't sold.

Thanks guys!

Funny thing is that the model reviewed in the video does appear to have the rear of the bonnet a bit wider than the cowl. Just like someone mentioned here earlier. Seems that this might be a common problem.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

This is the newer kit and it has the cleaned up body, the underside of the roof no longer has the swirls and ripples and the sinks marks have been cleaned up.

Both the kits have the same issue of the hood being slid over the cowl for packing, therefore distorting the back end of the hood.

11 minutes ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Anyone know of a photoetch detail set for this kit either released or in development? Any good wire wheels as well?

Due to the way 1:1 spokes are interlaced there is no way to accurately represent them using photo-eched spoke wheels, but 3D printing technology is capable of producing interlaced spokes.  Few months ago I asked Randy at Model Builder's Warehouse if he would consider producing 3D printed wheels for this model, and he seemed receptive to the idea. Hopefully he will eventually offer them for sale.

4 hours ago, dbostream said:

Do we know if Revell recalled all the kits with the quality issues? Or how do we know the kit we buy is not the old one that has not been fixed? Perhaps to be on the safe side I will wait a year or two before I buy one.

The U.S. boxed kits are the fixed ones, I'm not sure there are any fixed ones in the Euro long boxes yet as places either list it as discontinued or never even got them in the first place. 

The quality issues didn't effect the Convertible, those are just in short supply due to the shipping issues of getting things in from China.