Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar

Mike 1017

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

More broadly the body wasn't corrected for accuracy, and there were never any plans to correct it for accuracy, and to be honest they are aware of this thread and it's rumors implying the roof was being addressed. Since it was never even a topic of conversation much wonder has occurred as to where that set of "facts" came from in the first place.

James - what was Revell's reaction to the windshield screen not being accurate?  Revell (Germany) has issues that they repeat, like the terribly developed Panamera body or way back in the day packaging issues on the Ferrari California that would cause the windshield screen to be crushed.  Seems that they don't process and internalize feedback or they have a short memory. 

Edited by BVC500

50 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The U.S. boxed kits are the fixed ones, I'm not sure there are any fixed ones in the Euro long boxes yet as places either list it as discontinued or never even got them in the first place. 

The quality issues didn't effect the Convertible, those are just in short supply due to the shipping issues of getting things in from China.

I am curious if they fixed the German boxes as well. Might just order one to find out, support should replace the body for me if it is bad.

8 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

This is the newer kit and it has the cleaned up body, the underside of the roof no longer has the swirls and ripples and the sinks marks have been cleaned up.

Both the kits have the same issue of the hood being slid over the cowl for packing, therefore distorting the back end of the hood.

My hood was not slid over the body. I had minimal alignment problems. Removing the little tabs on the hood corrected what little problem I had. As far as the so called roof height problem, it never looked that far off to me. Each to their own. I'm happy with it.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:56 AM, peteski said:

Due to the way 1:1 spokes are interlaced there is no way to accurately represent them using photo-eched spoke wheels, but 3D printing technology is capable of producing interlaced spokes.  Few months ago I asked Randy at Model Builder's Warehouse if he would consider producing 3D printed wheels for this model, and he seemed receptive to the idea. Hopefully he will eventually offer them for sale.

Hopefully we will see a nice wire wheel. Thanks for the info.

Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered one and the body is good no quality issues that were reported earlier. But I too have the problem where the hood is wider than the body doesn't look like an easy problem to fix. If I have to heat it up I probably create new problems.

Edited by dbostream

I got the roadster version. Its a nice kit, hood fit is bad. But If you can get some baby magnets in there I think it would fix it.

Just FYI for everyone that buys one. Despite your instinct to glue and putty the bumpers to the body and hood, they are actually separate pieces on the real car. I dug through many google photos to confirm this. They are separate pieces with fine panel lines.

5 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

I got the roadster version. Its a nice kit, hood fit is bad. But If you can get some baby magnets in there I think it would fix it.

Just FYI for everyone that buys one. Despite your instinct to glue and putty the bumpers to the body and hood, they are actually separate pieces on the real car. I dug through many google photos to confirm this. They are separate pieces with fine panel lines.

Heat water, hot not boiling. Put on counter. Drop hood in to warm up. Bend as needed gently. Have body nearby to check fit. Repeat until fits, then run under cold water to set molecules again. Works on anything. Ipms has mini tutorials if you google it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 1:43 AM, Mike Chernecki said:

Anyone know of a photoetch detail set for this kit either released or in development? Any good wire wheels as well?

Yes, I know of one in development. Other than wheels and obvious items, what would be on everyone's wishlist?

My recently acquired kit from Michaels also had an ill fitting hood. Will try the hot water treatment. Contacted Revell as well.

img_0717.jpg

img_0719.jpg

Just picked up my kit (in U.S.-style box) from Michael's.  Also has the hood problem, exactly as shown in Tim's photos.  As I see it the problem is that when they package the body and hood, then stretch the hood and slide it over the cowl.  At that point the plastic is fresh out of the mold, and when it sits in that stretched state for a long time (being shipped and in the store), the hood is stretched out permanently.  This problem could have been easily prevented by either leaving the body and hood loose in a larger plastic bag, or pack the hood and body separately. Such a small change of packaging would have prevented many complaints, and having sent out replacement hoods.  What were they thinking . . .

From talking to someone who's built both that had the "splayed" hoods, they said that taking your time to throughly and completely gluing the inner fender/hood bracing on will "suck" the width of the hood back in line with the body, plus the body will get a small amount of flex cramming all the innards up in there. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Classicgas said:

What makes no sense is some have it some don't.

It probably depends on how the body/hood bag was packaged.  If the hood is snapped (stretched) over the cowl area, the hood will be splayed.  If it was not snapped over the cowl, it is probably ok.  I just tried on my kit, and the bag is long enough to contain the body and hood without the hood being over the cowl.

Here is mine.

DSCN4299.JPG.de509647e2592966a836212b7f585753.JPG

DSCN4300.JPG.dd7c8c7a25ced90c028924cff3d38581.JPG

DSCN4301.JPG.aa8ac7a57f2351040375211b248f131c.JPG

The decals however are superb!  I guess as-expected from Cartograf.  All the colors are solid, and in perfect alignment.  Even the very fine gauge markigns are readable

DSCN4306.JPG.a9c730d84a47a8388b16d99a2e35e2ed.JPG

However there is a problem.  I thought the name of this car was JAGUAR, not JACUAR!!  Hopefully someone will be producing aftermarket photoetched scripts with correct spelling.

DSCN4305.JPG.be1e0f6e0bc9db1b6c92dd9de707ab90.JPG

There is a bit of a disappointment for me.  If Revell tooled up new tires specifically for this model, why did they choose such a weird tread pattern?!  It looks like nothing I've seen on 1:1 tires. Looks like something that might possible be used on truck or SUV tires, not on a sports or passenger car. Weird.

DSCN4308.JPG.28aad25e09d3979a2945ff27a99b6ddb.JPG

The tires also seem to have rather low-profile sidewalls (and again weird pattern).  I haven't measured them to see what are their 1:1 measurements.

DSCN4309.JPG.d52af08b183e77ee64d8107f4ee79a15.JPG

Edited by peteski

Good to have knowledgeable people on the forum - thanks! 

Ok, there is rough resemblance to the Michelin XWX tread, but the Revell version is devoid of a lot of the smaller details, and the shapes are more like smooth lozenges than the slightly S-shaped angular treads on the 1:1 tire.  The edge of the tread is also wrong. But I guess it is close enough.

Edited by peteski

On 9/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, TimKustom said:

Yes, I know of one in development. Other than wheels and obvious items, what would be on everyone's wishlist?

Hi Tim, Items I would like to see on a detail set in addition to the obvious include printed gauges and dash details, seat belt hardware, chassis/engine brackets and linkages, fitted luggage hardware (latches, handles, hinges etc needed to scratch build a set or a complete resin set), open hood vents, headlight trim.