Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury The Plowboy Way

Plowboy

On 1/23/2021 at 9:31 PM, Plowboy said:

No problem Carl. The paint is just now starting to come off the body. Then I have to do the body work over. I have all of the other parts in paint now. While I'm waiting for the paint to strip off of the body, I can work on getting the engine all together and detailed. I'm not going to a great deal to it. Just basic stuff. I did get the chassis and floorpan completed.

20210123_230541-1.jpg.0cb20c176f5745dd2ff05d62918f2eb8.jpg

20210123_230627-1.jpg.ec5c23cce7404ea7d8130eb5df0236cc.jpg

I really like the contrast in the colors! This doesn't look like a chassis that would be going under a '49 Mercury! 

Love the detail on the chassis, it’s becoming one of my favourite parts of a model, next to engine to build! 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanx Bill and Scott! I finally have the Mercury back on track! This go around, I scribed around the windshield, door and quarter glass to separate them and give me a line to paint to. I primered the underside of the hood and trunk first. Then I taped off the fenders and quarters and primered the underhood, headliner and trunk jambs.

20210308_180939-1.jpg.b0245bdbbc74b1a36724feff3d86efdb.jpg

The hood and trunk were taped to the body and primered together. From this point on, the body will will be sprayed as a unit. Primer, paint and clear. Before I sand this coat of primer, I'll shoot the headliner with Dull Red. Hopefully, I'll have this done in a couple of weeks!

20210308_182241-1.jpg.7a445cc2d899885bcfc134b07e253aa6.jpg 

Edited by Plowboy

18 hours ago, slusher said:

Good to see you back on you Mercury, Roger!  Clean canvas to paint again...

Thanx Carl! Hopefully, I won't make a mistake this time! The first coat of primer showed no touch ups needed. So, I'm headed in the right direction. If I stick to my plan, it should come out perfectly matched this time.

14 hours ago, David G. said:

I know I'm late to the game but... spectacular work on this so far!

I can't say much more that hasn't already been said.

David G.

Thanx David! Better late than never!

12 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Glad to see this return,  such fabulous work getting the proportions right . Can't wait to see the paint flying next 

Thanx Jeff! I'm looking forward to seeing it back in white myself! I have to keep telling myself not to rush. But, it's hard to when you have one so close to being finished.  

6 minutes ago, Steve H said:

I’ve been waiting... nice to see this back on the bench Roger.

Thanx Steve! Waiting for this thing to come clean was a nightmare! Don't want to go there again!

I now have the Mercury back in white primer. Yesterday, I shot a coat of gray and a coat of white. Today, I shot two coats of white. I'll let it all cure well, barely sand it with 1000 grit and shoot one or two coats of Pearl White. Depends on what the first coat looks like.

20210312_120310-1.jpg.c7ef439e8099fc74eaba7a3fe86ab667.jpg

I can use the window masks as templates for the glass.

20210312_121708-1.jpg.514af1c79075cd8213066f6a0118a065.jpg

Thanx Bill! I now have the Mercury back in Pearl White and I'm really happy with it! I took a lot of pains with the paint job this time around. But, the extra effort really paid off! Everything is matched perfect. This is just one coat of paint. I'm undecided on an additional coat. I may just go ahead and shoot a coat of Semi Gloss on it. 

20210315_132816-1.jpg.1f1d2a70268ce92ba0e69f5805766a5c.jpg

I can't wait to set this thing on the chassis and interior to see what it's going to look like! I do dread having to paint all of the window trim. The lines I scribed around the side window trim were a bit too shallow and are now almost gone. Not gonna be fun at all! I may try to mask those.  

Thanx guys, I appreciate the feedback! 

On 3/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, Paul Payne said:

Once you get this masterpiece finished, you should do a nose to nose comparison shot with a stock merc to highlight the differences.

That's an interesting idea. I don't think I could build one stock though. I have been thinking about building the Revell '49 Mercury and paint it Satin Black.

I have the paint work done on the body. I shot a coat of semi gloss clear over the one coat of Pearl White. It gave it the exact effect that I wanted! I also got all of the trim in Satin Black. Talk about a task! I would never have done it decent had I not scribed around the trim. That was a lifesaver and made all the difference! I have all of the windows made. I had to make the back glass out of some paper thin clear to get it to conform to the body. I kinda dread trying to install it. I got the decal fixed on the valve cover. A last test fit of the interior showed that I need to shave just a touch off of the door panels. I'm also going to have to shave a touch off of the frame rails up front. I couldn't resist doing a mockup with it in paint.

20210322_131937-1.jpg.6ab13c694e626749bee027015d8abfce.jpg

20210322_132004-1.jpg.1a456bf4c0f5e27c7880fbdae5c0e1fa.jpg

The black trim gives the window openings the illusion of being larger than they actually are. I don't think many would believe that the roof has been chopped two scale inches. Even the three scale inch section is hard to spot to me. I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the week. Then I can jump back on my '32 and finish it up.

I really love this. I wasn't a fan of the windshield angle at first, but it is growing on me. But seeing the side view -  my minds eye keeps seeing a flat black spear from the front of the front wheel arch to where the body line does the jog down, mid door. Just for some contrast.

Thanx guys, I appreciate all of the great feedback! 

On 3/22/2021 at 4:18 PM, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

You DO make it look easy,,, it's not, not for most of us anyway. Very informative thread. Makes me wanna get the saws out and start ,,, er  TRY slice'n n dice'n.   and thank you for the thread.

Thanx Thomas! Glad you found the thread useful. There's only one way to learn how to cut up bodies and that's by doing it. Taking the time to plan the cuts is most important. 

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I really love this. I wasn't a fan of the windshield angle at first, but it is growing on me. But seeing the side view -  my minds eye keeps seeing a flat black spear from the front of the front wheel arch to where the body line does the jog down, mid door. Just for some contrast.

Thanx! All of the brightwork: bumpers, grille, turn signals trim, side mirrors and trunk medallion are Satin Black. So, it's going to have plenty of contrast. It's not going to need more.