Model Cars Magazine Forum

The latest on my bench....'27 Model T Roadster Body Conversion

tim boyd

...it's a long planned (10 years plus) early 1960's style T-Bucket....but not your normal '23-'35 T, but one with the much different '27T roadster pickup body. As you all know, there's never been a 1/25th scale kit of the '27T Roadster, so this one is a conversion using the original Revell Buttera style '27T Touring body. (The AMT '27T Touring would also work, but some experts say the Revell body is slightly more accurate in proportions, and I tend to agree, to a degree.) While the prototypical T-Bucket (aka Fad T) was usually a '23-'25T, there was magazine coverage of '27T (as well as '29A) buckets as well. These tended to stand out as the front cowls of both were very different that of the earlier, and far more common '23-'25 T-bucket body. And personally, I prefer both to the earlier style. I did an article on the A-Bucket conversion in the mid 1980's for Scale Auto, but this new model is the first attempt at a classic 1960's 1927 T Bucket.

Based on my own research for the best source of the back of the Roadster pickup, but with some strong directional advice from Australian model rodder and magazine columnist Alan Barton, I decided to base the conversion on a narrowed section of the rear of the Buttera series Touring body. What you see pieced back together is purely cut and glue - no bodywork filler whatsoever. It's a great match (thanks, Alan!) Only the very bottom corner of the side/rear intersection, and the lower portion of the center rear, will reguire bodywork to finish the conversion.

It's going to be sitting on a Fad T style chassis and suspension from the old MPC "Switchers" kit series dating back to 1972. As old as that is, it was and remains the most current Fad T style chassis committed to bi-scale styrene. The engine is a classis Y-Block Ford V8, based on the Revell 1957 Ford series, but with liberal upgrades from Norm at Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland and other aftermarket sources (e.g. the Vertex magneto), and liberal use of Milotow chrome on the engine accessories. The wheels and tires are from the AMT-Ertl version of the Barris Ala Kart.

2v2Hq51AMx9hi3o.jpg

2v2Hq5142x9hi3o.jpg

As you can see below, there are actually two different versions of two-passenger 1927 Model T Roadster bodies. The factory (here, converted) '27T Roadster body on the left, while the body on the right represents the front half of the Touring body, with a rear section comprising the metal backing of the front seat on the real car. This application was usually found on 1/1 scale Track Roadsters and Lakes Modifieds. To do this in scale, you need to use the AMT '27T Touring body (in the background) because it is the only kit that includes the front bench seat seatback piece (the Buttera kit omits this as the front seats in it are buckets). This was a structural piece on the real car; on the model you'll need to widen the piece slightly to fit the body. (BTW, this body was built probably 20 years ago as the start of a lakes modified project, but the model mags were not interested so I stopped work on it back then). With the benefit of 20 years of additional reference material, to be really accurate, the back piece on this one needs more of a curve, vs. the fairly straight execution shown here (it has also warped a bit over the years, which has served to further reduce the curve that should be there).  You can see the stock AMT Touring body in the background for comparison.

2v2Hq51W2x9hi3o.jpg

2v2Hq5cf2x9hi3o.jpg

Finally, here's a comparison of the new project with a resin-based '27T Roadster Pickup Project that was completed in the 2000's, and was a feature how-to in (IIRC) one of the Scale Auto Contest Annuals, of all places(!) The body and interior was from Tim's Resin Rods of Vacaville, CA if memory serves. It was placed on a narrowed '32 Highboy chassis from the Revell Deuce Street Rod kits. The engine was the inaccurate Ardun conversion from the first "Custom" version of the Revell 1950 Ford pickup, with hot rod flathead cyclinder heads replacing the completely incorrect Ardun heads in the kit (otherwise the engine was great).

2v2Hq5p2Jx9hi3o.jpg

2v2Hq5p93x9hi3o.jpg

Not sure exactly how the model will be finished, but I'm leaning toward a Candy Red over Metalflake Red, or perhaps Candy Blue over '65/'66 Corvette Nassau Blue Metaliic. with white guts et al in keeping with the early '60's build theme.

Based on some feedback on my last posting/topic on this section of the forum, just so we are clear, there will not be a step-by-step series of updates on this build, as is typical with many posts here.  Just wanted to give you a one-time look at what's up on the Boyd bench as of today, December 4, 2020.  Next update (if there is one) would most likely be in the "under glass" section of the forum. 

Welcome any feedback, and happy to answer any questions....and thanks for looking! Cheers.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

That's what I was talking about!  The Ala Kart back would have really fought you - I have been able to make do with my 27 roadster conversion, mainly because it is going to be  a Pro-Comp drag racer with a huge flat rear wing. The curve in the Ala Kart rear panel gets really exaggerated when you narrow it where as you have shown here, the touring rear panel still has a correct contour when shortened.

I don't think I had seen your So Cal car before .  I really like the stance and the colours We have a local rod on the street here in Perth that is remarkably similar in style! ( except that we have fender laws over here!)

27 T pickup with a long bed - Check!

Deuce frame - check!

Red wire wheels - Check!

32 Grille - Check!

Small headlights set down low and level with grille - Check!

Chopped 27 screen - Check!

Side pipes running level with the ground- Check!

Steering wheel on right hand side - whoops!

IMG_7733.JPG

I love the '27 body style.....

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/27-shorty-t-tub/

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/lakes-turtledeck/

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/27-roadster/ never finished by me, scale version of ADL's roadster he sold to a bloke in Australia. I sent kit to ADL to finish. He has it now.

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/1927-turtle-deck-t/ 

Looking forward to seeing more on the shelf, TIM.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

On 12/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I love the '27 body style.....

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/27-shorty-t-tub/

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/lakes-turtledeck/

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/27-roadster/ never finished by me, scale version of ADL's roadster he sold to a bloke in Australia. I sent kit to ADL to finish. He has it now.

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/1927-turtle-deck-t/ 

Looking forward to seeing more on the shelf, TIM.... -RRR

Fans of 1926/27 Turtledecks and all late Model T hot rods, should check out the links Rodney posted above.  Outstanding creativity and execution.  You do indeed rock, Rodney!  TIM 

11 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Who made the basic body casting seen here with the attached turtle deck?

That was built about 12 years ago and I'm sorry but I honestly don't remember who made that body. It may have been Altered States Models? http://www.alteredstatesmodels.com/ 27dragflats.jpg

Although, I don't recall having that cover piece...He makes a good product... -RRR

On 12/10/2020 at 10:10 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

thanks, TIM...now, I'm blushing. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.... -RRR

Rodney....personally  I really like it when builders post their own projects with similar themes within the threads I post....so no worries in the least!   Cheers....TIM

• 1 month later...

Latest update as of 1-21-21.....subassemblies all done and ready for final assembly.  Paint is simulated Candy Red over Gold (Tamiya Clear Red and Clear Yellow paints over Testors AMC Sterling Silver lacquer (with a heavy flake), topped by Mr. Color Mr. Super Clear).  Bed floor is real wood.  Interior heavily modified and pieced together from multiple sources; the biggest challenge of project.  The actual '27T Touring to T-Bucket Roadster body conversion turned out to be one of the easiest parts of the project.  Thanks for looking!  TIM 

DSC 0803

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...