Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Petty Road Runner build

Mike Stem

11 hours ago, Mike Stem said:

In the '68 Daytona 500 Petty's Road Runner had a black vinyl top. What could I do to make the top look a vinyl top? 

just do a really strong version of an orange peel paint job, just on the roof. get a fast drying paint and shoot it far away. Flat black of course. practice on something else first just to get it right.

FOR THE FIVE THOUSANDTH TIME THIS CAR ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY DID NOT HAVE A VINYL TOP !!!! It was painted with texture paint. When the roof started peeling up it was the sheet metal. Hence Petty standing on the hood stomping the roof back into place. If it was vinyl you wouldn’t have to kick it would ya?????

1 hour ago, moparfarmer said:

No, there actually was a picture of them putting 200 mph tape over the bubble from the vinyl lifting up..

No no no no no the tape was holding the sheet metal down . The car was flipped upside down and acid dipped too long the sheetmetal cracked and buckled up. Once again why would he have to stomp vinyl down??? Come on think about it.  Start reading nascar history not the myths. The roof was painted With texture paint for two reasons. One like GKS Charger said was a distraction and the other was to hide the waves cause it was so thin and weak. Again if you think it’s vinyl you are 100% wrong. Sorry but that’s a fact.

There used to be great discourse on this car, the #6 Cotton Owens Dodge Charge Daytona, and many other NASCAR race cars from the past on Randy Ayers website. Sadly, it was all lost when his servers failed and there wasn't a backup. The best discussions were from crew members or people who were associated with the cars at the time. Most, are no longer with us, so that expert history is gone. I'm glad Tim Stevens held his ground. I knew it was thin sheet metal covered with paint, but I wasn't going to throw it out there first. I'm not an expert and I couldn't find anything to back me up.

10 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

There used to be great discourse on this car, the #6 Cotton Owens Dodge Charge Daytona, and many other NASCAR race cars from the past on Randy Ayers website. Sadly, it was all lost when his servers failed and there wasn't a backup. The best discussions were from crew members or people who were associated with the cars at the time. Most, are no longer with us, so that expert history is gone. I'm glad Tim Stevens held his ground. I knew it was thin sheet metal covered with paint, but I wasn't going to throw it out there first. I'm not an expert and I couldn't find anything to back me up.

Thank you I don’t mean to be harsh. But I really hate misinformation. Don’t even get me started on the Smokey Yunick 7/8 scale Chevelle myth!!!

On 12/7/2020 at 10:59 AM, james460 said:

Mark do you think the textured spray with semi-gloss black would look ok ?

The roof looks more like flat black to me but you could try the semi gloss black and see how it looks. Then you could always shoot the flat black over the semi gloss. Just orange peel the heck out of it. 

Edited by MarkJ

• 3 months later...

I've been practicing for so long & can't get paint to orange peel! I've been spraying up to 2 feet away. It looks orang peel until it dries. And when it's dry it's smooth as glass! I'm thinking about giving up & going with the '68 Firecracker paint job. White from rear of top to hood & C pillars & be done with it.

5 hours ago, Mike Stem said:

I've been practicing for so long & can't get paint to orange peel! I've been spraying up to 2 feet away. It looks orang peel until it dries. And when it's dry it's smooth as glass! I'm thinking about giving up & going with the '68 Firecracker paint job. White from rear of top to hood & C pillars & be done with it.

Its mind set, try to paint a smooth paint job and see how it turns out...................... :)