Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Elliott Thunderbat

Dragonhawk1066

Just a quick build of the Bill Elliott Thunderbat. Painted in Apple Barrel Jet Black craft paint and cleared with Decoart Duraclear Gloss Varnish, then decaled, then cleared with Pledge Floor Gloss. The interior/cage/chassis was just left in the Rustoleum 2X black primer. I know these are supposed to be red in as raced trim, but I think the flat black gives it a better Batman-like appearance. I didn't do much detailing on this one as I just wanted to test a few techniques and check the gloss of the clear for another project. Anyways, I'm happy with the outcome and it will look good in my display case. Thanks for looking!!

DSCN5470.JPG

DSCN5472.JPG

DSCN5478.JPG

DSCN5480.JPG

DSCN5483.JPG

DSCN5485.JPG

DSCN5486.JPG

DSCN5488.JPG

DSCN5464.JPG

DSCN5467.JPG

DSCN5475.JPG

Agree, looks good.  Got to appreciate folks who go out on the limb and try the non-standard craft paints!  I am working on Martin's Winn Dixie T-Bird, same one as that kit, but using the Apple Barrel Gloss Black and Bright Yellow.  Have not tried the varnish.  Covered mine with 2x Clear.  Currently gassing out so I can attempt to wet sand/polish.  The craft paints open the door to a broad spectrum of color choices and mixing abilities.  Thanks for sharing with all of us!

On 12/8/2020 at 4:18 PM, Kmidd65 said:

Agree, looks good.  Got to appreciate folks who go out on the limb and try the non-standard craft paints!  I am working on Martin's Winn Dixie T-Bird, same one as that kit, but using the Apple Barrel Gloss Black and Bright Yellow.  Have not tried the varnish.  Covered mine with 2x Clear.  Currently gassing out so I can attempt to wet sand/polish.  The craft paints open the door to a broad spectrum of color choices and mixing abilities.  Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Thanks! I first started using them for chassis and interiors, but within the last year have been using them a lot on bodies, with an almost endless selection of colors and ease of custom mixing as well. I mainly use the metallics on street car bodies and have used a variety of clears on them successfully. My main reason for using them was to be able to airbrush them in the house, especially during the winter. I still like to use spray cans, but only during the warmer months when I can spray them in the shed.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

On 12/7/2020 at 10:45 PM, THarrison351 said:

Turned out excellent!

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mike Stem said:

Looks great! How in the world did you paint the gauges like that?

Thanks! I used flat black, then very lightly dry-brushed the markings in silver, then using a toothpick I very carefully painted the dials in red. Afterward, I used another toothpick and re-touched the black as best I could. I think I was cross-eyed for a day or two after that though??, lol.