Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '72 Chevy C10 pickup

Mr mopar

13 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

How many vending machines do we need? 

Until the Coca-cola licensing agreement with Round2 expires on December 31, 2021. ?

I would anticipate these to sell briskly, given the pent-up demand for this year range of C-series Chevy pickup, so don't snooze if you want one.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I would anticipate these to sell briskly, given the pent-up demand for this year range of C-series Chevy pickup, so don't snooze if you want one.

It's ok, we'll have this and the Racers Wedge to choose from. 

I do hope it comes with the white wall tires shown on the box. I can never have too many of those. Especially 70s wide tread tires.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

If it takes Coke decals in order to bring this sought-after kit out again, no big deal. Looking at the box art, minus the coke logos, not a bad paint scheme either!

I’d happily welcome a Coke Transtar II, bring it on, if that’s what it takes.

Edited by vincen47

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

And the price creep continues...

You thought maybe prices would be dropping for model kits, unlike any other product or service?

Ain't gonna happen.  The only things that ever shrink are incomes, savings, and buying power.

?☹️

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Stevens International Hobby Distributors:

AMT-1231 1/25 1972 Chevy Pickup Truck w/Coca-Cola Vending Machine & Crates $35.95

That is the MSRP, likely to be cheaper at most online sellers. This kit could end up at Hobby Lobby, hard to say. If you truly want the pickup without the Coke machine, buy the Racers Wedge kit, you will have the pickup and wedge beds to choose from.

5 hours ago, Danno said:

You thought maybe prices would be dropping for model kits, unlike any other product or service?

Ain't gonna happen.  The only things that ever shrink are incomes, savings, and buying power.

?☹️

No, I don't expect prices to go down, I just need them to be stable for a while. 

Seems when every quarterly issue is announced, prices are up a buck at a time. And you're right, buying power goes down, so I can't budget for all the ones I'd like to get. So I guess I'll have to only get the few I absolutely, really want!

Which is a shame, as it only hurts the manufacturer in the long run. They are putting out great subjects, but higher prices limit the amount of total sales.

Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

No, I don't expect prices to go down, I just need them to be stable for a while. 

Seems when every quarterly issue is announced, prices are up a buck at a time. And you're right, buying power goes down, so I can't budget for all the ones I'd like to get. So I guess I'll have to only get the few I absolutely, really want!

Which is a shame, as it only hurts the manufacturer in the long run. They are putting out great subjects, but higher prices limit the amount of total sales.

Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

It's economics, really. Smaller number of outlets to sell from, fewer number of customers to sell to requires a higher price to attain enough sales revenue to justify continued operations. 

8 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

It's economics, really. Smaller number of outlets to sell from, fewer number of customers to sell to requires a higher price to attain enough sales revenue to justify continued operations. 

Well sure there's a bit of that, however death of your local hobby shop doesn't necessarily equate to less kits being sold. They're just being sold in different eCommerce ways - mail order, Amazon, eBay, etc.

But beyond that, who exactly in the supply chain is supposed to take a pay cut. Obviously each of us individually would like to either make more or pay less, but then so does everyone from Indiana to China and back. Sorry folks, Round2 has a pay freeze for 2021, people can't afford to buy EVERY kit we offer rather than the ones they might actually build. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, espo said:

Would like to see this in a short bed. I'll just have to chop and paste one I guess.  

Guys are doing the real trucks, so what's the big deal?  ?  If it's still the promo style chassis, it wouldn't be hard.

Y'all are whining about the cost.   Don't forget that Coke wants their take, license fee for using their logo costs something.  Who knows, maybe they made a deal with Round 2, to infuse capital in order to re-pop old models.

12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Who knows, maybe they made a deal with Round 2, to infuse capital in order to re-pop old models.

Coca-Cola doesn't have a clue about how models are made, sold, etc., and I doubt anyone there cares. Round2 pays Coca-Cola a fee in exchange for the rights to use the Coca-Cola name, logos, etc. on specified vehicles, then Round2 uses that name and brand recognition to sell model kits to the masses.  It's a simple licensing agreement between the two companies, period.

Round2 put their own money toward creating the all-new pop machines (both '50s and '70s style), cooler/chest, and the bottles/wooden case carriers. While not a huge investment, the new accessories are something which they can include in multiple kits, and when combined with the Coca-Cola decals and packaging, gives their kit that instant recognition and comfort for buyers. Same old Ford van kit, but now with a pop machine and new decals and box art? Boom, new kit. Choose a different subject in the tooling inventory and repeat.

I would image the Coca-Cola licensing arrangement has been a huge boon for Round2, so if true, they should use it for all they can get out of it.

Casey is correct. Round2 is using Coke Collectors, to subsidize kits for the rest of us. I have no doubt that the beloved '63 Chevy wagon and the '64 Olds Cutlass kits are coming (in part) the profit derived from those Coke Kits that some people are so negative about. No Coke kits=fewer profits. Fewer profits=less money to restore old tooling. It is really just that simple, to just some degree.

Tim Boyd, Dave Van, and many others on the board, who have been involved to both big business, and with the manufacturers of kits, have explained many times that TODAY"S corporate  structure for Round2, Moebuis, Atlantis, and Salvino's Jr. is a small team of dedicated people, with tight budgets, limited time, and more subject matter, than they have time and resources to produce.

This explains (at least to me) why it has taken Round2 several years to translate Customer intertest in the '64 Olds Hanger Shot, into a real kit. It may have taken only a few months, to recognize that the extreme interest in this kit, would make it a potential Sales winner. It would take years, to coordinate all of the things on the "To Do List" to make it happen.

If the next old tool that gets chosen to be brought back to life, has to plastered with Coke logos to fund it, sign me up for more Coke!

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Tim Boyd, Dave Van, and many others on the board, who have been involved to both big business, and with the manufacturers of kits, have explained many times that TODAY"S corporate  structure for Round2, Moebuis, Atlantis, and Salvino's Jr. is a small team of dedicated people, with tight budgets, limited time, and more subject matter, than they have time and resources to produce.

It must have been a miracle that AMT, on their own, gave us brand new tooled kits year after year, in some cases, month after month, in the 70's.

Edited by leafsprings

I think the Coke machines are a nice little bonus. I like the vintage one that came in the Ford Van. I just happened to want both the van and the Coke machine. The van will probably not get built as a Coke van, but the machine will go somewhere, probably outside the service station I eventually want to get built. It’s a bonus for me in the Chevy pickup (which I also want), so I might get one of those, too.