Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevy Belair, but not a 409.

Smitty

I chose to build this Belair as a replica of one of my childhood family cars. My father bought the real car used around 1965 at a Ford dealership in my town. I was only five years old at the time but I remember going with him to pick it up. In the often-seen white with red interior, the car was equiped with a 283 and full wheel covers.

The model is painted with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White and Testors wet look clear. The interior is Testors Guards Red enamel. I tried a little experiment with the fabric inserts on the seats. I found a photo sample of the fabric online and scaled it down to fit the seats. I printed it out on ordinary 20lb. bond paper on a laser printer, cut it out and stuck it down with 3M spray adhesive. I also experimented with the giving the glass a subtle tint by dipping the Glass in future shine that had a few drops of blue food dye mixed in. (I'm sure I read that on this forum somewhere.)  I pirated the small block engine from the Revell '65 Chevy stepside pickup. The tires are from my parts box and the wheel covers are from the Revell 62 Impala kit.

It's a great kit that I would like to build again. Maybe in a more unexpected colour, not red, white or black! 

1_DSC_0149_small.jpg

2_DSC_0150_small.jpg

3_DSC_0154_small.jpg

4_DSC_0155_small.jpg

5_interior 2_small.jpg

6_62 Belair Eng_small.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smitty said:

I chose to build this Belair as a replica of one of my childhood family cars. My father bought the real car used around 1965 at a Ford dealership in my town. I was only five years old at the time but I remember going with him to pick it up. In the often-seen white with red interior, the car was equiped with a 283 and full wheel covers.

The model is painted with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White and Testors wet look clear. The interior is Testors Guards Red enamel. I tried a little experiment with the fabric inserts on the seats. I found a photo sample of the fabric online and scaled it down to fit the seats. I printed it out on ordinary 20lb. bond paper on a laser printer, cut it out and stuck it down with 3M spray adhesive. I also experimented with the giving the glass a subtle tint by dipping the Glass in future shine that had a few drops of blue food dye mixed in. (I'm sure I read that on this forum somewhere.)  I pirated the small block engine from the Revell '65 Chevy stepside pickup. The tires are from my parts box and the wheel covers are from the Revell 62 Impala kit.

It's a great kit that I would like to build again. Maybe in a more unexpected colour, not red, white or black! 

1_DSC_0149_small.jpg

2_DSC_0150_small.jpg

3_DSC_0154_small.jpg

4_DSC_0155_small.jpg

5_interior 2_small.jpg

6_62 Belair Eng_small.jpg

Very nicely done..Interior idea is great and looks good too..Full wheel covers..Good memory from being 5 yrs old at the time..Sweet/clean build....

19 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Fantastic build and the white exterior/red interior combination is quite appropriate for the era. Interesting information on the seat patterns and I'm guessing you used embossing powder for the carpets. 

Hi Tom, thanks for looking. I use flocking glued down with 3M spray adhesive. It's the only way I can get the fuzz to lay down evenly.

13 hours ago, minkos said:

I love the interior! How did you get the paper to conform to the contours of the seat?

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you like it! First I sanded off the molded texture on the seats. I cut out  the paper inserts and glued them in with 3M spray adhesive. It's pretty sticky stuff!  

Edited by Smitty
spelling mistake