Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Kits of Old Subjects from Round2

With the '63 Chevy II Nova Wagon kit from Round2 due very soon, I was thinking about which other subjects Round2 might tackle based on this same line of thinking-- i.e., an all-new Craftsman (curbside) style kit, followed by a second, different, all-new full detail kit a year later. To be clear these would not be all-new kits of never before off subjects, but rather all-new kits based on previously offered kits, which, for whatever reason(s), can no longer be reissued.

(1) 1962 and/or 1963 Chevy II Hardtop:

A '62 or '63 Chevy II Hardtop seems a very realistic subject to me, as the hardtops and wagons share the same 110" wheelbase, so Round2 would need only remove the spare tire well from the chassis plate, and I think the grill/front bumper, rear bumper, and tail light pieces could be re-used, too. Maybe that's why they elected to mold the windshield separately from the rear "glass" section...Yes, and all new body and interior would be needed, but not a ton of effort for an all-new kit of a long gone, and never to return subject. Not sure what all the differences are between '62 and '63, but the I6 and V8 engines seem like obvious choices. Maybe '64 and '65 hardtops later, too?

(2) 1968 and 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T:

I think this type of kit development would be the best chance for people to see the lusted-after '68 Dodge Coronet R/T kit, too. Though it would not be the same as the original MPC kit, I doubt many buyers would mind nor care. Curbside first to feed the frenzy from the lunatic fringe, then a fuller detail kit later for the masses. Do a '69 the same way later, and you've got four distinct kits to put on store shelves.

(3) '71-'73 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am & Formula

The MPC annual kits are long one, so despite Round2 having the very good '70 Z/28 kit in three flavors, the early second generation Pontiac F-bodies have been underserved in 1/25 scale. The Trans Ams could be spread over three model years, with different interiors and details as needed, and a Formula or two mixed in for good measure, despite the unique fender vents on the '71s.

Let's hear your ideas based upon this line of thinking, please.

Edited by Casey

I like your thinking.

Frankly, I had very little interest in any of those cars when I was younger, having become a Euro-car snob round about '68 or so.

But Now when I go back and look at a lot of the old American iron, I'm impressed...and probably in large part because it usually takes a lot less effort and fewer boxes full of cash to get and keep an old American car on the road than their European cousins demand.

Now that the old US iron isn't strangled by emissions regs (in rational states, anyway) makes them more interesting too.

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But Now when I go back and look at a lot of the old American iron, I'm impressed...and probably in large part because it usually takes a lot less effort and fewer boxes full of cash to get and keep an old American car on the road than their European cousins demand.

Rock Auto, baby...all the parts your car will ever need!  I bought a few parts for my '62 Fairlane (with a '74 250 I6/C4 automatic) a few weeks ago...spark plugs a buck and a half apiece (platinum, yet!), motor and transmission mounts under $4 each, universal joints under ten bucks (USA manufactured, too) and a water pump for $23.  All name brand stuff, too.  You do have to watch the shipping to make sure you aren't paying for another package while saving ten cents on a gasket, but the website gives you that information.

I'll take Casey's picks and add the 1968-1969 Charger and 1971-1972 Road Runner/GTX. Put them on the more recent Mopar chassis - wouldn't that be cool!  The Charger deserves new tooling to replace the modified annual tooling that is past its prime time.

Definitely the 1971 Road Runner (MPC) . Add the 1972 front bumper / grille and rear bumper / tail lamps , and both bonnets (with new Air Grabber underside and air cleaner base -- something lacking on the original kit) ; ditch those 80's custom wheels from the 1987 reissue (or at least tool a new set of period-correct custom wheels -- Ansen Sprint , for example) , and ; expand the decal sheet .

The AMT 1971 Charger could use a freshening , too . Tool some bucket seats (the bench seat is incorrect for an R/T Charger) ; include a non-A/C belt & pulleys setup ; a Six Pack induction ; both exhaust systems ( the turn-down 'N97' and the 'Bazooka Tips' setups) , and ; period-correct custom wheels and tyres . 

I'm still wondering what-ever happened to the botched 1971 Demon 340 backdate from ~8 years ago...

11 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

What about a ‘64 Barracuda? Followed by a ‘65 and ‘66?

I assume the original molds were modified for some of the drag versions? Seems all things Mopar attract an audience.

FFF972C6-6ACF-4324-8CFD-165071DBED27.jpeg

Not a bad idea - between the early Hemi Under Glass and Fireball 500 molds, there might be enough to piece at least a curbside '66 together with about the same labor as the reborn '64 F-85. The '66 body (which was a promo tool with hood molded in) wasn't torn up as much as the Boss Nova was; just the rear wheel wells IIRC. Wonder what they'd find if the molds were unblocked?

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Not a bad idea - between the early Hemi Under Glass and Fireball 500 molds, there might be enough to piece at least a curbside '66 together with about the same labor as the reborn '64 F-85. The '66 body (which was a promo tool with hood molded in) wasn't torn up as much as the Boss Nova was; just the rear wheel wells IIRC. Wonder what they'd find if the molds were unblocked?

A 65 and 66 Barracuda would be very cool. The differences between a 64 and 65 are minimal.. 64 has Valiant script on rear panel below trunk lid. The dashboards differ in heater controls and that 64 was last year for push button automatic.

As said the body for the 66 Barracuda is in good shape and would need rear wheel wells restored. It’s also missing front fender scripts. The hood was molded shut. The body chrome and glass is all there.

The original one piece chassis is in the Fireball 500. It’s been modified by adding length to front and rear over hangs as the Fireball body is longer. The original firewall is in there too, and a few spare parts like the intake manifold and distributor from the original kit slant six, so who knows what is welded off in the tool. 

The Barracuda kits came with a slant six, 273 V8 and a Hemi drag engine that never came in that era car. That Hemi is in the Fireball kit.. interesting since the real Fireball had a 273!  So who knows if those two stock engines are there.

If we wanted to go whole hog on these, Round Two also has the AMT 71 Duster which has a modern full detail chassis that must be shortened a few scale inches and a very nice small block!

Now what is missing is the interior. It wasn’t cut up for the Fireball, that half interior with buckets and console molded in came from the 66 Valiant promo.  The dash and steering wheel are in the Fireball, but the top of the dash was separated and a custom top added as a separate part. The 65 and 66 dashboards are different. 

And a kit that could be easily done would be the original 64-65 HUG. Just would need a body and trim!

19 hours ago, Casey said:

With the '63 Chevy II Nova Wagon kit from Round2 due very soon, I was thinking about which other subjects Round2 might tackle based on this same line of thinking-- i.e., an all-new Craftsman (curbside) style kit, followed by a second, different, all-new full detail kit a year later.

A '62 or '63 Chevy II Hardtop seems a very realistic subject to me, as the hardtops and wagons share the same 110" wheelbase, so Round2 would need only remove the spare tire well from the chassis plate, and I think the grill/front bumper, rear bumper, and tail light pieces could be re-used, too. Maybe that's why they elected to mold the windshield separately from the rear "glass" section...Yes, and all new body and interior would be needed, but not a ton of effort for an all-new kit of a long gone, and never to return subject. Not sure what all the differences are between '62 and '63, but the I6 and V8 engines seem like obvious choices. Maybe '64 and '65 hardtops later, too?

I think this type of kit development would be the best chance for people to see the lusted-after '68 Dodge Coronet R/T kit, too. Though it would not be the same as the original MPC kit, I doubt many buyers would mind nor care. Curbside first to feed the frenzy from the lunatic fringe, then a fuller detail kit later for the masses. Do a '69 the same way later, and you've got four distinct kits to put on store shelves.

The MPC annual kits are long one, so despite Round2 having the very good '70 Z/28 kit in three flavors, the early second generation Pontiac F-bodies have been underserved in 1/25 scale. The Trans Ams could be spread over three model years, with different interiors and details as needed, and a Formula or two mixed in for good measure, despite the unique fender vents on the '71s.

As a note of trivia not only are the fender vents unique to the '71 Firebird but that's the only year that the engine size digits are larger than the "Firebird" script. I know this because I had a '71 455 H.O. Firebird and the kid down the street had a '73 Formula 350;his engine size and name script were the same size.

16 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

What about a ‘64 Barracuda? Followed by a ‘65 and ‘66?

That would work. Since these would be all-new, all that's needed is one original kit to scan.

The '68-'69 Pontiac GTO might be a viable candidate, too, as would the '67-'68 (and '69 with significantly more work) Firebirds. The '69 would be a tough sell, as Round2 still has the MPC '69 Firebird, but start with the '67 and '68, then go from there.

I really feel this is the future for Round2's new kits, and foresee this bringing several long lost or irreversibly modified kits back to market, in improved form. No, they will not be the same as original kits, but they needn't be, either. Different is fine, and if they are tweaked and improvements made along the way, even better.

Revell already does the '68 Firebird so for them a dashboard change and a new windshield with vent glass would be needed along with a new body to include the vent window posts, the different front valance and lower front fender, and the elimination of the rear marker lights. I don't believe the '67 Firebirds had the mono leaf rear springs that came on a Camaro so the '68 kit rear springs would be fine.

Edited by ZTony8

40 minutes ago, Casey said:

'67-'68 [ and 1969 ]  Firebirds. The '69 would be a tough sell, as Round2 still has the MPC '69 Firebird

I really like the OHC 6 that's in these kits ( or was that a 1969-only offering in the kit ? ) . I have the c.1978 issue of the '69 Firebird White Lightening ( ? ) , which can be built close-to-stock (includes both the Pontiac V8 and the OHC 6 ; custom wheels & tyres only ) .

I'm not too excited at the proposal of an MPC 1968-1969 GTO , as that tooling-basis is so long-in-the-tooth and needs so much work that it's not worth the efforts , IMO . 

22 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

Revell already does the '68 Firebird so for them a dashboard change and a new windshield with vent glass would be needed along with a new body to include the vent window posts, the different front valance and lower front fender, and the elimination of the rear marker lights. I don't believe the '67 Firebirds had the mono leaf rear springs that came on a Camaro so the '68 kit rear springs would be fine.

I don't see that ever happening from the existing Revell '68, and the existing MPC '69 is not great, either. Probably not at the top of the most likely list for Round2, but who knows.

20 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm not too excited at the proposal of an MPC 1968-1969 GTO , as that tooling-basis is so long-in-the-tooth and needs so much work that it's not worth the efforts , IMO . 

That's where the tweaks and modifications come into play. The bodies are the vintage kits' strengths, which is ideal for this type of new kit creation idea. Factor in the basic engine design work for the Pontiac V8 can be used for other full-detail Pontiac kits ('67-'69 and '70-'73 F-body, '71-'73 Pontiac X-body, etc.) and you can start to see the value for Round2.

I'm not proposing Round simply create direct copies of the original kits, to be clear. Copy the accurate parts, but tweak or re-design the areas which no longer hold up to modern standards in the full detail versions. Nobody wants engines with gaping holes through the block.

26 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I really like the OHC 6 that's in these kits ( or was that a 1969-only offering in the kit ? ) . I have the c.1978 issue of the '69 Firebird White Lightening ( ? ) , which can be built close-to-stock (includes both the Pontiac V8 and the OHC 6 ; custom wheels & tyres only ) .

That engine, while interesting, might be better left out. Only a '67-'69 Firebird could utilize it stock, and I don't see a '66-7 Pontiac Tempest being all that popular.

More info on the Pontiac OHC-6 here:

23 hours ago, Casey said:

With the '63 Chevy II Nova Wagon kit from Round2 due very soon, I was thinking about which other subjects Round2 might tackle based on this same line of thinking-- i.e., an all-new Craftsman (curbside) style kit, followed by a second, different, all-new full detail kit a year later.

I agree with you  Casey.  Especially on the subject of MPC 68 and 69 Coronet R/T.  Definetely on point with this.  Considering what Round 2 is doing to bring the 63 Chevy II wagon and 64 Olds Cutlass to production, I beleive we have a very good chance of seeing the MPC Coronets again.  As you stated; doing the  curbside first and the full on kits later will give more choices for a broader market.  These would be good sellers.

Edited by GMP440

Also as mentioned in another post, the 66-69 Ford Falcons. I don’t know how wide the popularity is on this generation of Falcons, but it’s the only one I really like. Might be to obscure for general public purchases of a quick curbside model.

I believe this is another that may have some stuff on closed sprues? Body was “ruined” for the modified stocker? 

7FCC2606-CA7C-441A-A25C-EF8495DA0B7B.jpeg

17F39A4A-E1CF-41E4-8254-EFFB76A35BE9.png

DA63AC98-97CF-4273-BB06-07004626E69E.png

BE7D3D45-F45B-4D76-9DDA-6C5577C5F5CB.png

Edited by Erik Smith

18 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Also as mentioned in another post, the 66-69 Ford Falcons. I don’t know how wide the popularity is on this generation of Falcons, but it’s the only one I really like. Might be to obscure for general public purchases of a quick curbside model.

I believe this is another that may have some stuff on closed sprues? Body was “ruined” for the modified stocker? 

7FCC2606-CA7C-441A-A25C-EF8495DA0B7B.jpeg

17F39A4A-E1CF-41E4-8254-EFFB76A35BE9.png

DA63AC98-97CF-4273-BB06-07004626E69E.png

BE7D3D45-F45B-4D76-9DDA-6C5577C5F5CB.png

I'd be in for several if this ever came to reality. Been wanting to build a model of my old '69 Futura Wagon i used to own. 

21 hours ago, Mark said:

Rock Auto, baby...all the parts your car will ever need!  I bought a few parts for my '62 Fairlane (with a '74 250 I6/C4 automatic) a few weeks ago...spark plugs a buck and a half apiece (platinum, yet!), motor and transmission mounts under $4 each, universal joints under ten bucks (USA manufactured, too) and a water pump for $23.  All name brand stuff, too.  You do have to watch the shipping to make sure you aren't paying for another package while saving ten cents on a gasket, but the website gives you that information.

Yup. $120 cdn for the exhaust from my Saturn from the cat back ,,, over $450 for shipping !! and that's just to the east coast of Canada.

Edited by Can-Con

2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Especially on the subject of MPC 68 and 69 Coronet R/T. 

I was definitely thinking of you when I added that to my list, and considering what Steve Goldman mentioned in the '63 Nova wagon topic, the '68/9 Coronet R/T was the one kit which seems like a can't miss subject, at least to me. I think the '68/9 Coronet bodies were excellent, and even the promo style interiors were passable with separate bucket seats.

The overlap with exiting '68-'70 Mopar B-body kits in Round2's stash is the only thing which gives me pause, but I don't think it's enough to kill the idea. Factor in the vintage trailer included with both the '68 and '69 Coronet R/T kits (which, IIRC, has never appeared in any kit since), and you've got a kit(s) very similar to the forthcoming '63 Nova wagon.

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

I don't know, either, but I have heard more than a few members her mentioned their desire for a kit of the third generation Falcon. Not sure how the first ('60-'63) and second ('64-'65) compare in popularity, but all are long gone as stock kits. I'm partial to the second gen, and seeing as the '64 Mercury Comet still exists (and should be reissued soon, IMHO), a full detail version of both Falcon and Comet might help spread the initial investment out a bit.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

That's where the tweaks and modifications come into play. The bodies are the vintage kits' strengths, which is ideal for this type of new kit creation idea.

I'm not proposing Round simply create direct copies of the original kits, to be clear. Copy the accurate parts, but tweak or re-design the areas which no longer hold up to modern standards in the full detail versions. Nobody wants engines with gaping holes through the block.

Ah ! Got it .  I just didn't want to see a killer body included with that ancient-as-is chassis / suspension . 

Axle-through-engine-block , indeed . I'd rather see a promo / curb-side style deal , just like the '63 Chevy II Wagon is setup .

'54 Chevy truck based on the '50 kit. They have a good snap kit and full detail kit to work with, so mostly just need to do the cab for either. a '52 GMC would be a fairly easy modification as well, mostly a change in the grill. Technically GMC used a different I-6 engine, but they are very close in appearance so could probably be ignored. Considering how many times that kit has been reissued over the past several years it seems to sell well enough. They could also offer a longer bed 3/4 ton, or maybe a 1 ton. Not sure how much the chassis changes for a 1 ton, but I think mostly wheelbase and springs. With a heavier truck a tow truck package (just tow equipment in the bed for that period) could be done as well. Quite a few options available there and they mostly feed from each other allowing even more options. 

I think a similar thing could be done with the '55/57 kits as well to create a '58/59 and / or GMC variants. In these years I think GMC had a different enough engine though that they would have to kit a new engine to make it right.  

Then there is the '60 Chevy pickup. Again GMC would be a nice option that wouldn't take a ton of work. In this one they should tool up the GMC V-6 for it. A long bed stepside would be welcome as well.

A NAPCO 4x4 conversion for any of the '50-59 trucks would also be fairly easy, as they wee add on parts on the 1-1 trucks, so just need to add the parts to a kit.   

The 67-72 Chevy / GMC truck is an older kit desperately in need of some attention, but with a good foundation to work with. A very popular truck in 1-1, as are the 1950s Chevys. 

Edited by Aaronw

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I was definitely thinking of you when I added that to my list, and considering what Steve Goldman mentioned in the '63 Nova wagon topic, the '68/9 Coronet R/T was the one kit which seems like a can't miss subject, at least to me. I think the '68/9 Coronet bodies were excellent, and even the promo style interiors were passable with separate bucket seats.

The overlap with exiting '68-'70 Mopar B-body kits in Round2's stash is the only thing which gives me pause, but I don't think it's enough to kill the idea. Factor in the vintage trailer included with both the '68 and '69 Coronet R/T kits (which, IIRC, has never appeared in any kit since), and you've got a kit(s) very similar to the forthcoming '63 Nova wagon.

I don't know, either, but I have heard more than a few members her mentioned their desire for a kit of the third generation Falcon. Not sure how the first ('60-'63) and second ('64-'65) compare in popularity, but all are long gone as stock kits. I'm partial to the second gen, and seeing as the '64 Mercury Comet still exists (and should be reissued soon, IMHO), a full detail version of both Falcon and Comet might help spread the initial investment out a bit.

Speaking of the trailer which was included years ago with the Coronet ,Challenger  and other kits back in the day;  would there be any interest to have the trailer back?  MPC simply dropped having the trailer by the 70's.  It could be released without much difficulty .  But, would it sell better by itself as a stand alone kit or included as part of a model car kit?  Over the years I can't recall much demand for the trailer.

Edited by GMP440

On 12/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, Joe Handley said:

I still want a XJ Cherokee in styrene, about the only thing older that the XJ I’d be interested in at this point would be a Tucker 48.

I'm with you on the XJ. Surprised no one ever kitted them up.  You would think it would be a good seller.