Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

The 21' Cannonball Ruse 

Welcome Cannonballers, to the 14th Annual Cannonball Run Community build!   This Year's Cannonball Run Theme is inspired by True...   ...  Lines from the Actual Cannonball Run movie. 

Dean Martin as Jamie Blake:  "that's a good-looking piece! and cunningly disguised so it won't look like a racing car, you know. the cops would never give that a second glance!"

Although these lines are condescendinly directed towards the car that is clearly not in disguise, The "Ruse" is perfect for the Cannonball because it expresses every aspect of what the Movie Cannonballers were trying to accomplish... Go Unnoticed and be the fastest! ? 

This year we are asking you to build Racecars in disguise. A Race purpose build that doesn't look like a racing car at first "Glance" 

The Rules:

Your build must be any Purpose built racecar and is intended to be a Racecar. Exceptions will be made due to the fact that past Cannonball events have allowed build changes... Ex: Re-bodied kits, It is OK to rebody your build as long as you use say 40% of the racecar kit. 

Some kits leave no question as to thier Racecar status, while others are merely factory stock kits with sponsors, numbers, and Racing livery. These are acceptable kits also. My MAIN goal is to get folks interested in building for the CBR!

"The Ruse"...Here's where the creative process starts, the Ruse is to transform the kit into an Unsuspecting, Incognito,Wolf in Sheep's clothing. Race car on the inside, Granny's Sunday driver on the outside... (just an example) Build whatever style you want as long as it doesn't attract attention... 

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. We will continue to implement  this rule each year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. I have a feeling we’re gonna see some weird stuff this year.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

-          You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2021, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2021, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-          A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

-          You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

-          You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

Special Thanks to Jantrix for the rules and this year's Theme suggestion!

Edited by disconovaman

I will start us off with my entry. It will be an Indy car covered up by a fiberglass 1965 Mustang shell.  I realize that the Mustang is not exactly a low profile car in it's own right, but it's what I have. When it is finished up, I will paint a second color over the top in a water-based paint, just incase I am spotted. Then I will head for the nearest car wash. 

20201212_112823.jpg

This years challenge has been harder for me. However, I think I have a plan for now. I reserve the right to change my mind, but for now I plan to use a #40 Pontiac NASCAR kit with a 1960 Chevrolet Impala, both are Revell/Monogram kits, one is 1/24 the other 1/25, but should work together just fine. 

The chassis on the Impala is started, but will not be used as part of the build. I will be using the body and all 400 chrome trim pieces. I am going to find a way to "Grove" the NASCAR tires so they have some tread. Otherwise it will get some aftermarket tire. 

IMG_5246.jpg

I would like to enter with this Accord kit. I bought it years ago with the intention of making it a street car, so this year's Cannonball was a great excuse to pull it out of my stash. This car is perfect for Cannonball, nobody is going to be looking at a Honda Accord.

EoR1Gkg.jpg

inJapci.jpg

1 hour ago, avidinha said:

I would like to enter with this Accord kit.

Excellent choice!

Had an old girlfriend who owned one and that car was really comfortable on long trips... I picked up this Civic on the cheap for saving gas...it was mint condition, this guy offered me $1000 more than what I paid so I had to let it go. 

contentmediaexternalimagesmedia511-1.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

I'm in.

Going to focus on this build this time around and not work on anything else till it's done (aside from the Daytona 24hr build weekend).

Tamiya Mustang GT4 (starting point)

124_Ford_Mustang_GT4_PreOrder_Release_Date_Late_May_2020_56417jpeg.jpg.04387c135c9887f7c4f6ccf521299ecc.jpg

And the plan is to convert it back to a street car (the GT4's start out as Shelby GT350's)

1-1583170618366@2x.jpg.5d4b43e0ce0b4a671be188bb9e4d8012.jpg

Full race interior will be kept (along with a co-pilot seat added) and the plan is to add in some more details as well.

Looking forward to January 1, I even have a couple days off over New Year's so the plan is to jump on this right away.

See you in the New Year.

Hi guys, I'd like to register. I'll be using the Italeri kit for the works Audi Quattro WRC car from 1981:

IMG_20201222_131300740.thumb.jpg.8a316449364d9a2ac12d1e539803433b.jpg

Never liked the livery so it'll be good to turn in it into something more like this:

vehicle_ad_standard_image_ef523c580d39544d69a95a86fdeba818.jpg.6f79607d83258f954e32a85ee1d369fd.jpg

On the outside it will be a discreet dark grey coupe (with no fog lights). The interior will remain that of a rally car, although it will be masked by tinted windows. Very pleased to find Reji does the correct Ronal tarmac alloys (above), so got them ordered and am looking forward to the off!

I'm hoping to do several builds for this thing, but am starting with these two. 

First up, a glue bomb JoHan '70 Superbird. Although the kit is basically stock, Anthony specifically pre-approved it for me due to its race boxing (most of the boxes featured a Petty NASCAR, but this one just happened to come in a Sox & Martin Super Stock box). It came with the NASCAR dashboard and full roll cage, which I will be using. 

70SuperBirdCBall02.jpg.15b22058a32cfbd9f84c4ee7bd876580.jpg

The other is an unstarted AMT '65 Chevelle dirt tracker. I'll probably be rebodying it with a Revell Z16 stock body, and I can see that there will be challenges working with the dirt-track frame. Oh well, we'll see what happens. 

65ChevelleCBall01.jpg.ef2536231699b363a5f8871dfc565aeb.jpg

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm hoping to do several builds for this thing, but am starting with these two. 

Judging from the field thus far we're gonna have a pretty diverse cast of Cannonballers this year... I'm excited to see those rusty mismatched bodypanels (Non) Racecar Racecars lined up this year hint, hint, Pat Minarick ? #Cannonball Callout! ? 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I already started doing some remedial work, just to get it to where most of you will be starting....:unsure:

That's fine... up to 25% can be done technically on a rebuilder before January 1st. So you're still within the guidelines, and just FYI these are the rules that are implemented year after year. The only thing that really changes is the theme. I liked the theme suggestion from Jantrix so much and thought it would be cool to honor him with Creator's Choice. I enjoyed looking after it last year so I thought I'd take it on again. Green flag drops January 1st. at 12 am... 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, disconovaman said:

Some kits leave no question as to thier Racecar status, while others are merely factory stock kits with sponsors, numbers, and Racing livery. These are acceptable kits also. My MAIN goal is to get folks interested in building for the CBR!

"The Ruse"...Here's where the creative process starts, the Ruse is to transform the kit into an Unsuspecting, Incognito,Wolf in Sheep's clothing. Race car on the inside, Granny's Sunday driver on the outside... (just an example) Build whatever style you want as long as it doesn't attract attention... 

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

How does the event organizers feel about fender flares, exaggerated wheel arches, or race inspired spoilers?

I have an idea for “stock looking” build, but want to make sure these components are “legal” for the competition 

Okay. I'm officially in. I'll be working with this Matador. I'm going to eliminate anything race car-ish. No scoops, flares, spoilers or wings. But I still want it to look bad ass. I'm going to stay away from weathering this time. Thinking a cool satin paint job. Power plant is the big question. I have lots of options. Ready to get busy. 20201226_210801.thumb.jpg.71bc6fc33b1ec762d7e6927be7247dc6.jpg

On 12/26/2020 at 8:45 PM, Intmd8r said:

How does the event organizers feel about fender flares, exaggerated wheel arches, or race inspired spoilers?

As acting Moderator, I have no problem with any of those modifications... I can only think of SuperCars/Exotics with those factory features but if there is a way you can integrate those features into a stock appearance, then I say go for it. 

Like I said before, The Creativity is gonna start when we attempt to hide the racing elements...

On 12/26/2020 at 11:32 PM, Jantrix said:

Okay. I'm officially in.

Oh man!  Let me just say this... Officially my favorite entry! ? and it's not even built yet!

Edited by disconovaman

15 hours ago, disconovaman said:

if there is a way you can integrate those features into a stock appearance

Wait a minute. We have to go for stock appearance? I thought the original idea was "low profile." :unsure: 

Makes a big difference in my paint job. :unsure:

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

"low profile." 

Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily  mean you have to build it stock... just build it with the least recognized appearance less Racecar more Ice cream truck (just an example) if you flying down the road at 150 mph bright colors and stripes will be more identifiable on the radio call. ? 

Use your imagination and create the best non Racecar Racecar ?seriously though, build it how you want to but keep in mind less is more in this case ? but try not to overthink it at the same time...

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

if you flying down the road at 150 mph bright colors and stripes will be more identifiable on the radio call. ?

If there's a radio call, I'd think "HE'S DOING 150 FREAKING MILES PER HOUR!!!!!" would be all the identification anyone would need. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm in with this Tamiya Subaru Impreza (formerly WRC '98 Monte-Carlo).  I had considered doing a street car anyway, even though I love rally cars.  I have the Sti engine, and photo-etch detail parts to drive myself crazy with.  I got gravel tires after taking this picture, so that will eliminate the slicks.  It will be a shame to not use the light pod, but will keep the lower lights.  Have a CB radio somewhere.......

IMG_6946_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4312fb067690f3a830730e943abb736b.jpg

On 12/22/2020 at 7:05 AM, Pete75 said:

Hi guys, I'd like to register. I'll be using the Italeri kit for the works Audi Quattro WRC car from 1981:

[...]

Never liked the livery so it'll be good to turn in it into something more like this:

[...]

On the outside it will be a discreet dark grey coupe (with no fog lights). The interior will remain that of a rally car, although it will be masked by tinted windows. Very pleased to find Reji does the correct Ronal tarmac alloys (above), so got them ordered and am looking forward to the off!

I love your choice!  If I didn't have the Subie, would consider the Sport Quattro S1, but that needs to stay rally, and if I do a second that will be the '87 Pikes Peak hillclimb.  Look forward to seeing what that kit is about.