Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

You know what I've come to learn about you, Snake? You don't get rid of nothing brother! ??? 

Guilty as charged! Nothing gets trashed but bare naked sprues. And sometimes not even those. 

Last year, I used a model car glass I've had since 1966 on a build. In 2019, I built a nice '65 Riviera using parts--everything but the body, in fact--since about the same time, and in 2018 I completed an IMC VW Beetle build I started around 1969 or 1970. This year I hope to use the Altered parts from that same kit for another build. I also hope to use a bunch of '64 Olds Cutlass parts (again, everything but the new resin body and hood) that I've had since maybe '67 or '68 on a full new build. 

Waste not, want not! Improvise, adapt, overcome! Model on! And GITTER DONE! B)

I am asking this just in case my original idea disappears faster than my brother-in-law when the dinner check arrives.  I have two Corvair issues, but without the spiffy Yenko box art that Snake posted.  Now that he let the cat out of the bag, would I be able to use his box art if I went this way.  Here are my boxes along with a Corvair rally car as a replica to a friend's that he ran out of Flagstaff in the mid '70s.  The photo of the actual car shows it before the Pro Rally door number panels.  BTW Snake, I like your Corv8 plan so the reason I got the second (& third) Corvairs was for the same thing with IMSA BMW type flares and wing.

IMG_3169 (1024x768) (2).jpg

img246.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kermn8r said:

I have two Corvair issues, but without the spiffy Yenko box art that Snake posted.  Now that he let the cat out of the bag, would I be able to use his box art if I went this way.  

I'm not in charge of anything, but as far as I know the contents of your kits and mine are exactly the same (or darn close to it). Anthony didn't specifically approve my Corvair but he commented on that post and didn't DIS-allow it so I'm assuming it's okay. I vote for your Corvair to be okay if mine is. Why should someone be excluded just because he doesn't have a rare old box? 

12 hours ago, kermn8r said:

have two Corvair issues,

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm assuming it's okay. I vote for your Corvair to be okay if mine is.

Absolutely fellas! Bring on the Corvairs! I welcome any re-released kits that had previous race inspired box art work. Example: (AMT 53 Studebaker)

that kit was reissued a couple times in the 90's without that Awesome "Double Wammy" or "Mr Speed"drag race boxart but the contents were exactly the same with the exception of the decal sheet.

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Not sure if my plan is going to work , lot more than I expected. But not giving up. 

20210101_053736.thumb.jpg.59e8c4ccceb5cd7acde31b5ce475cd58.jpg

That's the spirit, Pat! Drive on! B)

Here's where I am on the Stupidbird. 

First problem is, JoHan molded the black trim panels on the nosepiece as a recessed area, with the headlight covers then recessed into that. I decided this was completely unacceptable for a decent appearance. There's no good/easy way to fix it, so after dreading it a couple days, I just attacked the thing with files and sandpaper and took the whole surface down to level/flush, which took me the better part of two whole modeling mornings. Here's what it looked like after one side was fixed, showing the difference. 

70SuperBirdCBall07.jpg.dc51813ad8d2ee2803a1746fafb24b9d.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall10.jpg.fd7659d1070f28c1ed557518457e99cc.jpg

The glue bomb main body turned out to be only about a step and a half above garbage. The left A-pillar had been broken at the bottom and sloppily re-glued, and I couldn't get it apart again without risking much worse damage. I don't know what it was originally painted with or stripped with, but a 24-hour swim in Lake Purple had no effect whatever on the traces of orange paint in the nooks and crannies all over. These all had to be removed with either a Scotchbrite pad or the tip of an Xacto. All the panel/door lines were so shallow/faint as to be almost nonexistent (maybe the original paint had been sanded off?), so everything had to be rescribed. While at it, I scribed in the lines between the front fenders and the rocker panels. 

Next, someone had deeply gouged the front fender-to-cowl panel joints on both sides. The resulting trenches were unacceptable. 

70SuperBirdCBall11.jpg.929b2c1e2bac61dae2ada30c5c8f71a0.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall13.jpg.a7265ae1b2976dde09941fb8f6d77eda.jpg

I couldn't come up with a better way to fix these eyesores than with plain old putty and rescribe, so I filled them in. The body needed putty in four more spots to repair glue damage, as well. 

70SuperBirdCBall16.jpg.a6c8368d00c669d862bee39b59e524fd.jpg

Sanding the cowl putty wasn't bad, but rescribing the joints was tedious work. I had to do the passenger side twice before it looked halfway decent. 

70SuperBirdCBall20.jpg.4f40198003b3e3053083740c0914690b.jpg

A squirt of white primer shows improvement. The joints are now clean, but the gap is still too wide This shouldn't be as wide as a door gap. I will fill these with white glue, which after shrinking should still show there's a joint here, but not an "open" one, if you get my drift. We'll see what happens later, I guess. 

70SuperBirdCBall22.jpg.9aac436b7039ef91610d0c64c334bd8f.jpg

The glue bomb chassis was missing all four axle locator blocks. I had to scratchbuild these from sheet styrene, and then figure out where the axle holes should go. After gluing, but before trimming and drilling: 

70SuperBirdCBall26.jpg.43fd1023eb98ead4ef6e4b8474374c8a.jpg

At this point I have somewhere around 16-20 hours of remedial work in getting this hot mess to the point where I can begin working on it as if it were a fresh kit. 

Time for a test sit/attitude check, on wheels and tires borrowed from the (much nicer) stock built Superbird that came in the same deal (I think I paid $30-some for the both of them, not a bad price). For the first time, it sits on wheels. It's alive! 

70SuperBirdCBall28.jpg.1e74929f0a8b02143c8308052d5ecead.jpg

Edited by Snake45

My plans keep changing on the L88.  Dropping the kit bash ideal and will build the roadster instead of the coupe.  Going for a vintage race car disguised as an old man's corvette.

I like the Minilite wheels from the kit, but they aren't wide enough.  Found a Fujimi set in my parts box, but they are 4 lug instead of 5.  So I dusted off the Dremel....

I have some creative body work ahead of me.....

That's great! Everyone seems to be off and running! The Vette seems to be less complicated so far but maybe I'm speaking too soon... ?  

A bit of good news is I did get an email that says my models have been shipped, so all hope is not lost at this point ??? 

The package may have to be quarantined after it arrives but that should give me plenty of time to watch season 3 of Cobra Kai... ? Happy New Year Everyone!

46 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

The package may have to be quarantined after it arrives but that should give me plenty of time to watch season 3 of Cobra Kai

?Forgot about Cobra Kai! Not long to wait now. Glad your package has been shipped, which is more than happened when I tried to buy a spare kit for last years run - somewhere in Hong Kong a low-level crook is still laughing at my request for a confirmation email!!

Happy New Year Cannonballers! ?

7 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

I’ve had a shipment stuck across the Pacific since September. 

Oh No! That's not good..what's going on there with the delivery?

I hope I have better luck.?Shipping was gonna be 25 bucks for 1 kit ? but if you spent over 40 then shipping was free so I ordered 3 more models that I really didn't need... but I'll be happy to have them If I can get them here...

2 hours ago, Pete75 said:

somewhere in Hong Kong a low-level crook is still laughing at my request for a confirmation email!!

That sucks! Yeah I'm gonna wait and see what happens but if I don't get the kits I'll just let it be a lesson... I'm sure I've wasted more than 43 bucks in my life anyway ??? 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Oh No! That's not good..what's going on there with the delivery?

It was a preorder during the first months of COViD and air shipping was not available - only option was ground (or sea, I guess). They give it up to 6 months. Last one was two. 

Sorry to hear about your shipping issues. Glad I pulled from my small stash. 

So, as you know I am doing a 1960 Impala on a NASCAR T-Bird chassis. I was able to get a lot done today. I started this morning cutting the chassis and adding 1/4in to it to match the Impala wheelbase. I am lucky that the impala has separate interior parts and not a tub. This allowed me to attach the interior parts to the T-Bird chassis. 

I trimmed back the roll bar to have just the main hoops. I drilled holes in the dash to allow the roll bar to drop down trough it. The fit is really good. 

First pictures will show the mix of parts. The last pictures show the painted body and some interior parts. I never get a car painted on the first day, but I am using an old dehydrator and this allows me to paint even with snow on the ground. Exterior paint is Duplicolor Dark Garnet Red Pearl, the interior is Rustoleum Satin Colonial Red. The chassis plate will be Rustoeum Satin Claret Wine. 

The tires in the picture will not be the ones used, I have some on order. I am also not going to use the kit engine, I have something a bit better on the way for that. 

I have a long way to go, and miles of chrome to do. I figure the chrome will take me a full day between all the kit chrome and the BMF I will be adding. I did BMF some of the emblems before paint, so I will need to buff those off too. 

At first I was not too sure about this theme, but no I am having fun hiding a race car under the skin of a classic car. It will truly be a race car in disguise. 

So, here is the mock up, held together with lots of poster tack. 

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

12 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I am having fun hiding a race car under the skin of a classic car

Wow that is some nice work going on and you're hiding that race car very well so far.

When we first announced this theme I thought color choice would be important in this year's run. The color looks factory...it's perfect for the 60 because although its beautiful it's not over the top...

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's the spirit, Pat! Drive on! B)

Here's where I am on the Stupidbird. 

70SuperBirdCBall07.jpg.dc51813ad8d2ee2803a1746fafb24b9d.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall10.jpg.fd7659d1070f28c1ed557518457e99cc.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall28.jpg.1e74929f0a8b02143c8308052d5ecead.jpg

Snake , looking good.

I've been trying all day to figure out how to do the body on the Grand Prix . Got some of it looking good but ever thing I'm cutting up from the stock body I have ie breaking,  it's very brittle. Just about to give up on it. I know its the first day but ill never finish it this way.

20210101_190313.thumb.jpg.9bdea2463744406f8aa6b07c77fcfd39.jpg

I was being careful with this and it just shattered.  Not sure were the missing piece flew. 

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Snake , looking good.

I've been trying all day to figure out how to do the body on the Grand Prix . Got some of it looking good but ever thing I'm cutting up from the stock body I have ie breaking,  it's very brittle. Just about to give up on it. I know its the first day but ill never finish it this way.

20210101_190313.thumb.jpg.9bdea2463744406f8aa6b07c77fcfd39.jpg

I was being careful with this and it just shattered.  Not sure were the missing piece flew. 

I had exactly the same thing happen on a simple chassis cut of a Monogram '70 Chevelle molded in metallic blue. Just shattered! :blink: