Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

#5 is now a WIP, too: Audi Ur-Quattro "canno-flage" street-rally.

Amazed at how far some of you got in such a short time!! Some awesome scratch building going on - really interesting to watch. My progress is going to be more sedate & rather less ambitious, but I'm getting into it nonetheless. Because the Quattro WRC exterior easily converts to that of a road car, much of my efforts will revolve around making the interior "extra rally". Discovered that the Italeri kit doesn't have anywhere to anchor racing belts so I've tried scratch building a copy of the 1:1 roll cage rear section:

682455290_audi(10).thumb.jpg.2faf1abd7b2aef540e7ec0a5fcae980c.jpg

1437033085_audi(11).thumb.jpg.39062131afa12478e577d86634830f3a.jpg

Another first for me is making my own styrene arms for PE pedals (I also filled in the foot wells, which were too deep):

2117345485_audi(12).thumb.jpg.5061d51eb3d3ec63e129d92ad4c554c0.jpg

Edited by Pete75

The roll cage in the Accord is substantial and very noticeable from the outside.

9UJiGOI.jpg

F9i2ryn.jpg

I didn't want to eliminate it completely for safety sake, but I did cut it down in hopes that it won't draw as much attention.

wDPiwrm.jpg

Much better

qTbud4U.jpg

I'll add some cross bracing once I've decided exactly where the seats will be.

3 hours ago, avidinha said:

The roll cage in the Accord is substantial and very noticeable from the outside.

9UJiGOI.jpg

F9i2ryn.jpg

I didn't want to eliminate it completely for safety sake, but I did cut it down in hopes that it won't draw as much attention.

wDPiwrm.jpg

Much better

qTbud4U.jpg

I'll add some cross bracing once I've decided exactly where the seats will be.

I've got the same issue with the GT4 Mustang interior. I may cut down some of the inner supports as well. I was originally just going to tint the

windows but, that will make seeing interior details a lot harder. 

Looking good so far. 

After a lot of thought, I have decided against using the kit AMC 401 engine. There are things I can do do dress it up a bit, but I have this SBC available to me soooo. It's a 3D printed engine kit done by one of my club members. I'll have it in hand on Thursday. Perhaps some wheels/tires too. I see some guys are dealing with the visible roll cage issue. The way I see it, per NHRA rules an 6 point roll bar is good up to 6.99 seconds or 135 MPH. Odds are a Cannonball racer will never hit those speeds. I'm going to shim the roll cage to get it as close to the roof as possible and move the rear downtubes as far left and right as possible, so the C pillar camoflages them as best it can. I'm going to sand away the molded padding on the bars as well. I may also look into scratch building louvers for the rear window but that might be a stretch. I plan to start in earnest this weekend after I have the engine.

image.png.cb9c68a18dcadc7d5e56d21cb75cd77a.png

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

6.99 seconds or 135 MPH. Odds are a Cannonball racer will never hit those speeds.

Yes! That's a great engine for the race! A twin turbo, high reving, small block, torque monster! Right on! I do believe your engine will hit those speeds and faster! ? especially with a good highway gear...

I have a plan on the roll bar issue  myself... it won't involve any relocation or eliminated bars...

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

...135 MPH. Odds are a Cannonball racer will never hit those speeds. I'm going to shim the roll cage to get it as close to the roof as possible and move the rear downtubes as far left and right as possible, so the C pillar camoflages them as best it can. I'm going to sand away the molded padding on the bars as well. I may also look into scratch building louvers for the rear window but that might be a stretch. 

I checked, the latest Cannonball records include a 110 MPH average and a 175 MPH top speed.  To get to a 110 average, I'm thinking you'd have to plan for at least some extended cruising above 130-140. :blink: :unsure:

As for roll bars/cages, I'm not making any particular effort to hide or camouflage mine (or other racy interior guts). I don't think it's illegal to have a roll cage on the street. I have, however, cut away most of the side bars on the '65 Chevelle dirt tracker roll cage in the interest of entry/exit though a normal door (i.e., not climbing in/out through the window). 

Some more remedial work on the glue bomb Stupidbird....

There was a large hole in the right front inner fender wall. Short shot? I considered leaving it as "rust damage," then decided it could be easily fixed with pieces of aluminum tape inside and out. 

70SuperBirdCBall32.jpg.ffc77616d46c5beca174a8e31a6fdfd7.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall33.jpg.d9499693db0a1a07b9f960ac7009b3b4.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall39.jpg.c80cef3eb272c8e1d9ca8a616f749506.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall42.jpg.db687dda6cec08baf4adaf34a70625a7.jpg

There was what looks like a tire burn on the backlite (rear glass); quite a bit of raised "booger" there. I filed it flush and then polished. Still a little gouge there, which I'll probably just live with. Maybe I'll try to cover it with a NASCAR-ish "retaining strap;" what do you think?  :unsure:

70SuperBirdCBall37.jpg.8b783d03f47e477d975d3e9562514fbd.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall43.jpg.e9a033a75d5dc682fc27648edf8172b0.jpg

Spent a good deal of time scraping and sanding parting lines off all the roll cage pieces, and got the thing glued together. 

70SuperBirdCBall48.jpg.b0c8717f8b1f7b1c64bea66d08890d4f.jpg

Glued the stock seats together. Not my first choice for this use, but I might have to roll with them if I can't come up with something better in the parts box. :unsure:

70SuperBirdCBall46.jpg.d652b67b9cdb8500303d92fd17aab0ec.jpg

Next will be to start looking for some suitable wheels and tires. Model on, everyone! B)

Hey all, awesome ideas and good work so far! After coming up with nothing for this since the idea was first mentioned I suddenly remembered that I had the original "sleeper" on my shelf waiting to be built:

s-l640.jpg.a6ebd682cf6e2c01ce68814654b4a4b6.jpg

The "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" had herself a brand-new shiny red Super Stock Dodge. It didn't seem right to just build it box stock and leave off the scoop and decals, though, so I'm going through some old reference guides and plan to give it a little more period-correct oomph under the hood. Supposedly the '64 Charger concept car put out 600hp, so that's going to be my first stop.

4 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Hey all, awesome ideas and good work so far! After coming up with nothing for this since the idea was first mentioned I suddenly remembered that I had the original "sleeper" on my shelf waiting to be built:

s-l640.jpg.a6ebd682cf6e2c01ce68814654b4a4b6.jpg

The "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" had herself a brand-new shiny red Super Stock Dodge. It didn't seem right to just build it box stock and leave off the scoop and decals, though, so I'm going through some old reference guides and plan to give it a little more period-correct oomph under the hood. Supposedly the '64 Charger concept car put out 600hp, so that's going to be my first stop.

I have the steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps and tires from the other issue if you want to trade wheels and tires. 

5 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

The "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" had herself a brand-new shiny red Super Stock Dodge.

That's a cool choice Bill... good to see you join again... Your entry gives me an idea for a future Cannonball run... "Cars From Songs" alot of songs have been written about cars. 

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

That's a cool choice Bill... good to see you join again... Your entry gives me an idea for a future Cannonball run... "Cars From Songs" alot of songs have been written about cars. 

That sounds like a fun idea, put a pin in that one to look at next year.

Quick update for me.

Tamiya Ford Mustang GT4 being converted to (or back to) a Shelby GT350R (all the GT4's come off the line are Shelby GT350s).

So far I've-

-remove the GT4 hood and replaced it with a Shelby GT350 hood (robbed from a 1/24 RC car). 

-rear wing is from a diecast GT350R (I have some other parts that will be used from that same diecast)

-chassis is 100% kit so far, all I've done is cut out a space for the passenger seat to fit into the tub. 

-the internal compressor for the airjack system will be kept and relocated.

-I have other additional interior details to add (will take interior pics then)

-I have wheels and tires being made (the factory GT350R wheels are carbon fiber, I'm having some forged clones made as CF might not be very durable over 3000 miles of hard driving.)

-hoping to get some primer on the body later this week ( I have to rebuild my paint booth, I think my exhaust fan has given up the ghost)

For now, a teaser shot.20210107_035530.thumb.jpg.f4179dd2f788613aae3083e819b00ac9.jpg

So yesterday I sat down with the uscp-ua cossie engine and what a piece of kit it is. Now while its a very nice engine I had to fit a much bigger turbo
to help it embarass the other competitors v8s (I'm building it for the mcm cannonball) I used an hks turbo from hobby design but I left the stock manifolds. Theres not much roon left in the bay but i've made a little more by trimming theside of the bay and moving it back so it sits square now. I also modded the slam panel above it to match. Nwxt up willbe sorting the front suspension crossmember to fit the engine. Its pretty deep so it should just be a flattening of the centre. The blue painted parts will be getting some metaliser powders used and should go steel colour then

DSC06320.JPG.52d60d5e9ad92f06bd4c43ac8f58c5a8.JPGDSC06324.JPG.78dc0417c3346bbdb2f71cd3dbbfaa6c.JPGDSC06321.JPG.710ece0b8699f26a571a58d2312349b3.JPGDSC06322.JPG.c8c38041c8c7cc4f7f6e84a55a1a44c9.JPG

Nice updates! I'm especially impressed by how good that Mustang's hood fits...plenty of kits aren't that slick with what came in the box.

20 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I have the steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps and tires from the other issue if you want to trade wheels and tires. 

Much appreciated, PM sent!

19 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks, I'd be back for that one!

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

So yesterday I sat down with the uscp-ua cossie engine and what a piece of kit it is. Now while its a very nice engine I had to fit a much bigger turbo
to help it embarass the other competitors v8s (I'm building it for the mcm cannonball) I used an hks turbo from hobby design but I left the stock manifolds. Theres not much roon left in the bay but i've made a little more by trimming theside of the bay and moving it back so it sits square now. I also modded the slam panel above it to match. Nwxt up willbe sorting the front suspension crossmember to fit the engine. Its pretty deep so it should just be a flattening of the centre. The blue painted parts will be getting some metaliser powders used and should go steel colour then

DSC06324.JPG.78dc0417c3346bbdb2f71cd3dbbfaa6c.JPG

I almost bought the same engine for my build last night, I ended up buying the Monogram GTP Mustang for a donor instead.

6 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

I'd be back for that one

That's great... we might be on to something there ? ... I meant to share the story that a friend of mine's grandmother was the "Little Old lady from Pasadena" she was the real inspiration for the song because she lived on the same street as Don Altfeld. The commerical was inspired by used car dealers in Ca. telling buyers that the cars belonged to widows in Pasadena, their late husband's would leave the cars to them and they would only drive them to chruch. ?  Zach Straits is my friend and his story was featured on an episode of "Sticker Shock" on the Discovery channel... season #1 episode #2 the last new car she bought was a 67 Camaro RS/SS and he owns it now... he's gonna restore it but for now it's in a museum. 

“the RUSE” CannonBall 2021

Very interesting theme, a competition car disguised, as much as possible, to  look like any other vehicle on the inter-state. As such it would require modifications to bring it into line as a cross-country  citizen-type adventure, facing a variety of driving conditions through the month of December. 

Well, I’m in for this (having bombed out last season...). My entry is based on the AMT #6540 “Curtis Carter” IMSA 1983 third-gen Camaro. My kit is short of being a a glue-bomb, as the previous owner only went so far as to only installing the fender flares, although with an over abundant amount of epoxy! I purchased the kit many years ago from a collection that was bought by a local Victoria hobby shop, Shaver’s; still in operation! It was on it’s second round of price reductions, selling for $5.99. At worst, it was a good parts box  find having the cross-ram weber intake with carbs!

5F9434F3-2A3C-4783-B502-6D5A6026DFC5.thumb.jpeg.4163f7317f8fcf0658151f351fd0a984.jpeg

The kit fits quite well within the this season’s  “the Ruse...”requirements. It’s outward appearance requires a rather plain-jane Camaro that is nearly forty years old! A typical six-cylinder, single exhaust, faded metallic Champagne body with a white vinyl top to match. One does need to over look the flared wheels... 

10112EA3-BF0E-4438-93C2-79D291BA0B54.thumb.jpeg.ebca97d63bdbd2aa00023f2a924355b5.jpeg

61C47936-1238-4C31-862A-9DFA26073AD3.thumb.jpeg.1ea7324d93720581fed3e2123f453cad.jpeg

Underneath will be a combination of  Big Block Chevy engine kits based upon Tim Boyd’s recommendations. In this case the automatic tranny with the complete accessory arrangement ( p/s, alt., a/c) from the AMT 68 ElCo kit combined with the triple deuce intake & block from the R/M 67 Vette roadster, would make for a “shade-tree mechanic” fix it any where along the route, except for the triple deuces perhaps. This combination would ensure dependability and simplicity for a dash across America.

9466131A-FE47-4459-AAB7-9DA6AD90C08E.jpeg.a9ff8debbd6eb0ce51fe15418083b942.jpeg

AD9EF1C5-021B-4FD6-B957-0DEB64DFDEC9.jpeg.effc77e333f0401041f1e514ef047086.jpeg

D482F467-2192-40B4-817C-69CA60F1E1E9.jpeg.84114435a5b8128ef180c2e9907c7e09.jpeg

There are a number of fixes to address in the previous work completed on this model. More of that as it’s encountered along the build. The nearly stock appearance of the kit’s underpinning, especially the engine bay with its stock strut/fender assembly rather than a tube style chassis again lends itself to this event which would require a certain amount of endurance and reliability over the run.

To quell the ever present enforcement of highway regs the Camaro will be outfitted with the most up-to-date electronics (much like the AussieBall Blazer from a few years back). The rear deck behind the seats will be equipped to provide the necessities of 24 hour driving, emergency tools and equipment, plus camouflaged luggage to complete the look of tourists. 

B2EF7718-E578-4F50-8F10-7DF0247EC21E.jpeg.884b52827f846fd423da55105bf25b56.jpeg

Yet the Camaro, underneath its exterior will feature full comp features beginning with the Rat block fitted with aluminium heads and fed by the triple two barrels with fresh air ram induction. On the other end of business the custom headers connect to a set of pipes exiting on the passenger side for greater stealth. The pipes will connect via flaps controlled from the interior to a stock appearing single exhaust pipe when required.  While a hot-rodded big block, the engine will also power a full range of accessories such as air conditioning, not normally found on comp vehicles.

BE7EA10B-B16D-4FD9-92CD-91E12ABD9DD4.jpeg.582ed009f4a556d2688dc360e09baeca.jpeg

08A38B81-94C2-4F76-9AC8-A8383ED05D02.thumb.jpeg.6b183be3cba482100f0673e64373fcf6.jpeg

More to tell coming along...

Cheers Misha

Edited by Misha
Addition

Couple more pics of the Mustang for tonight.

Not getting a lot done here at work, but still moving forward.

Chassis is almost complete. I still want to weather the exhaust some more but I forgot my weathering pastels at home, so will work on that on the weekend.

I stained up the underside and may add some more. I did not paint the chassis (what will be) body colour, as I want it to look like a race car was quickly 'disguised" as a road car.

Originally I wanted to have the windows be clear to show off the interior but now I think I'll "tint" them to help hide what lies underneath.

20210108_030326.thumb.jpg.f11e47dfa39ec29f5dd42aa0d1fe2f8f.jpg

I've also added in both the upper front grill and rear tail light valence from the diecast GT350R. The lower front grill insert is from the kit since it's stock looking already and fits better than the piece from the diecast. I still need to file the front edge of the hood over the headlights. As you can see in the pic it's not a perfect match, but very close.

20210108_030503.thumb.jpg.d49cf19a572d54a213c65e08983dfdb8.jpg

I may swap out the rear valence lights for the kit ones but I'm not sure yet. The kit valence has the fuel fillers in it which would make refueling for the long trip faster but then the car would look more race car. I will likely detail the trunk with fuel cells and just have the fillers be mounted in the trunk and just open the trunk for refueling, helping to keep the "stock" outside appearance. 

20210108_030449.thumb.jpg.6a95c0eb07bbf664b9909d2a222e6234.jpg

6 hours ago, Misha said:

Well, I’m in for this

With Misha in, that almost completes the list of the usual scofflaws ?. (Belugawrx is still thinking.)

Bummer about that body Mish. I'm sorry I could've donated a clean body, but just prior to this CBP I hacked into it for a sci-fi build.

4 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

With Misha in, that almost completes the list of the usual scofflaws ?. (Belugawrx is still thinking.)

You’re right Mike, we need to get Bruce on board to complete the starting grid! Thanks for your offer of a body, yet this one isn’t too bad and it will work out quite well. Time to get busy!

Cheers Misha

This is so up my alley! I have finished two kits last year with this type of theme and have one more on the go. But for the competition entry I will start a new one that I have wanted to build.

It’s the Corvette C5-R. Plans are grey body, no race wing, maybe some thing smaller. Will probably remove the possibility to open up the rear body work but a luggage compartment is needed. Katech engine will be with out its restrictions so a good HP output is expected. Wheels and tires will be five lug since racing across the country you might be able to source a wheel if it’s five lug oem bolt pattern. 

137DCDE2-BB33-415F-B46F-63281B8BF5A9.thumb.jpeg.fb115b32f21bf07db38077e63bfcc185.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

Today I made a few mods to the dash so i can get working on improving the cage. There were some switches but they had a lot of flash and a sinkmark in the middle, so to rectify this i filed the entire panel flat and used some rod and tubeto add them back. I've left them long until the glue sets and will be cutting them down. I also had the problem of no decals for the gagues so I've cut down a sun visor tv to fit and will be using any decals I find in the leftovers box. The modded sun visor is in both pics. I will also be adding one to the passenger side with other decals.

DSC06350.JPG.428863e116735c9da930cd4fd1163f5a.JPGDSC06352.JPG.b4a6e92451a4cbd88422b71789a3fb11.JPG

Next I looked at the rear suspension and while basic it will do the job, however I made a connecting rod and found some better shocks (currently in paint). There was a big open hole above the axle so it is going to be a massive fuel tank

DSC06353.JPG.f6ce6f3c014b888937cebfef75648930.JPGDSC06354.JPG.424b32b63e29ea4d87469ae339c493bf.JPG

For the frone suspension I had to make some heavy cuts to make the engine sit low enough

DSC06347.JPG.8f0f2902a513e48bff1669ce6b6257bf.JPG

Next I turned to cooling cos a turbo this size will get hot. I'm using a hobby design intercooler and the rad from an alfa. To get the intercooler and rad to fit with a little room for moving parts I had to make a drastic cut to the front panel. Hopefully I will be able to hide it somewhat with the mesh

DSC06356.JPG.333fc978381ef2b9a7f11258b2779b1f.JPGDSC06349.JPG.e10f1f5149746e1d18df019a3457858c.JPGDSC06355.JPG.b67c37fe015b39c56c0ca47bdff59d68.JPG

DSC06347.JPG