Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

11 hours ago, kermn8r said:

A word of advice, don’t google search Mega Squirt

Thanks for the laugh Walt, a darn near sprayed soda all over the keyboard. The Revell Goodguys version of the Willys, will provide you with an Art Morisson style chassis should you desire it. I've used it for the Cannonball a couple years ago and it's quite good.

10 hours ago, Northwindcustoms said:

I hope I am doing this in the right place I would like to join this build with the merge of a gt1 endurance car and a Lexus I plan to keep it in the spirit of the current era of cannonball era with a twist . I will keep it updated as I build If all goes to plan will be mid engined with a stock outer appearance will most likely have a bunch of 3D parts required and it goes on . Sorry for the long post it’s been 10 years since I have been on a forum . I look forward to seeing all the great builds on this theme .mike 

You are in the right place Mike, welcome to the forums. Guys, Mike is a member of my local face-to-face model club and an excellent builder. He provided the 3D printed, twin turbo SBC for my build. 

So glad to see all the great work happening. As usual my build is inching right along.

10 hours ago, Northwindcustoms said:

I hope I am doing this in the right place I would like to join this build with the merge of a gt1 endurance car and a Lexus I plan to keep it in the spirit of the current era of cannonball era with a twist . I will keep it updated as I build If all goes to plan will be mid engined with a stock outer appearance will most likely have a bunch of 3D parts required and it goes on . Sorry for the long post it’s been 10 years since I have been on a forum . I look forward to seeing all the great builds on this theme .mike 

DF595B86-FC9E-4303-BD47-23FD3771CE1A.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, and this community build!  That should be wicked cool.  You're gonna smoke my little Subie.  I have been putzing away this week, started the engine build.

Stupidbird in its second coat of primer, now sitting on its own chassis (not the borrowed one) with the tires I'm planning on using. 

Cazart! The chassis wheelbase is too long! :angry: I noticed when I was setting it up that the underside details were a little different from those on the borrowed stocker chassis but didn't think too much about it, just assumed one was an original issue and one a later reissue, or something. Now I guess it's from some other JoHan Mopar. What, I wonder--the '68 Fury police car? At any rate, looks like I'll have to shorten it by a couple scale inches to look/fit right. :unsure:

Nothing is easy in this hobby, is it? :angry:

70SuperBirdCBall61.jpg.e450737e8cf67d3a1715dd21c9c0537a.jpg

70SuperBirdCBall59.jpg.ae1fe7819874dafddaaa9660a82a977b.jpg

Using a trick that Mark D. Jones does, magnets for sub assemblies, for the engine to transaxle.  The Hobby Design engine is very detailed, but it's a bit rough because of early 3D printing resolution.  It came with a photo-etch clutch assembly which I'm not using on this project, might have a diorama that could work.  Seeing what others are going to race with, I'm hoping the weather will really suck.  ?

IMG_0927.jpg

I decided too keep the suspension as is, I don't think I'd be able to re-re-engineer it, besides, it just looks cool. Even though this is a curb side kit, it still has some engine detail underneath. I also got the exhaust and radiators/vents installed.

u5EkcIV.jpg

oN457gt.jpg

rjLz9Mi.jpg

10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Using a trick that Mark D. Jones does, magnets for sub assemblies, for the engine to transaxle.  The Hobby Design engine is very detailed, but it's a bit rough because of early 3D printing resolution.  It came with a photo-etch clutch assembly which I'm not using on this project, might have a diorama that could work.  Seeing what others are going to race with, I'm hoping the weather will really suck.  ?

IMG_0927.jpg

That engine looks great. 

11 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

The rims may stand out a little to much

Yeah Pat, but don't they look so good?

We were doing vitural club meets last year and one of our members built this Monte Carlo... kinda the same look you got goin... It's pretty flashy but sometimes sacrifices have to be made! ? and honestly each time I see these sacrifices being made, I can't help but hear Jill saying "220 miles an hour and they aren't gonna get a second glance!" ???? 

Resized_20201031_121024.jpg

Resized_20201031_120330.jpg

#5 Audi Quattro

Got some 3mm steel tube to replace the puny exhaust tips, but the rest of the (largely moulded) system was equally unimpressive and needed to go:

IMG_20210107_013736856.thumb.jpg.ba4d189e8f762097e9d0503e915c828e.jpg

Removed the moulding with a chisel blade & tidied up with putty. The replacement pipe is 2.4mm tube with a wire insert. Made the centre muffler from layered/shaped plasticard:

IMG_20210115_180037259.thumb.jpg.034af9ef1d95aca3bcd43cbb43630ba5.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete75 said:

#5 Audi Quattro

Got some 3mm steel tube to replace the puny exhaust tips, but the rest of the (largely moulded) system was equally unimpressive and needed to go:

Removed the moulding with a chisel blade & tidied up with putty. The replacement pipe is 2.4mm tube with a wire insert. Made the centre muffler from layered/shaped plasticard:

IMG_20210115_180037259.thumb.jpg.034af9ef1d95aca3bcd43cbb43630ba5.jpg

Way cool! You are shaming me into doing some kind of upgrade to the molded-in exhaust on Stupidbird (darn you!)! B)

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Way cool! You are shaming me into doing some kind of upgrade to the molded-in exhaust on Stupidbird (darn you!)! B)

Thanks Snake! Stupidbird gotta breathe or she can't fly!! ?

On 1/15/2021 at 4:38 AM, Pat Minarick said:

The rims may stand out a little to much , but they are the only ones I like.16106855631553683736448561789400.thumb.jpg.05c2c20b1a7b32ac4272f995c038630c.jpg

? Looking cool. May be of interest to the vice squad though, so I know whose shadow to hide in! ?

On 1/14/2021 at 11:38 PM, Pat Minarick said:

The rims may stand out a little to much , but they are the only ones I like.16106855631553683736448561789400.thumb.jpg.05c2c20b1a7b32ac4272f995c038630c.jpg

Paint the spokes a dark gray or satin black. That will REALLY tone down the "bling bling pimp wagon" look--I've done it several times on diecasts (especially Jadas) and it helps a lot! B)

Well ? unfortunately my trusting nature has let me down. ? I tried to sign in on the account that I had to create to purchase from these clowns and my account has been deleted. They really had me convinced... Oh well, moving on...

There is a hobby shop in Broomall Pennsylvania that claims to have the kits I need.  I'm gonna call before I order just to be safe... I've already looked up the address on Google maps to make sure it's a brick and mortar store. ? 

Screenshot_20210116-092258_Chrome.jpg

50 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Well ? unfortunately my trusting nature has let me down. ? I tried to sign in on the account that I had to create to purchase from these clowns and my account has been deleted. They really had me convinced... Oh well, moving on...

Scumbags. I got ripped off by a Hong Kong outfit last year because I wanted to believe. I didn't have to wait long to confirm it though - it took 30secs on Facebook to find people warning about them. Wish I'd done that first! I suspect most scams can be avoided that way: these days, why wouldn't international sellers have a Facebook page? And if they do (like my scammers) they probably can't keep a lid on negative publicity.

You guys are doing a bang up job.

I've been looking for a kit that trips my trigger, ever since the idea for this one was announced. But nothing has really done it for me. I love the concept, but nothing grabs me.

But... I have an idea... and I think I'm going to jump in with this.

image000000.jpg.b09f70ddc5c6f83a844c5057ef1ac4d7.jpg

I realized earlier today, I have this and several Monogram Nascars as well... I'm going to rob parts that I need from any of those and some factory monte's also. And I have a few 3d and resin options to pick through engine wise.

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

There is a hobby shop in Broomall Pennsylvania that claims to have the kits I need.  I'm gonna call before I order just to be safe... I've already looked up the address on Google maps to make sure it's a brick and mortar store. ? 

Screenshot_20210116-092258_Chrome.jpg

I have been looking at a kit on a web site called JORJOTOF.xyz. It is one of those times when the price of the kit just seems too good to be true. The other red flag for me is that the picture of the kit listed is the same picture of a kit listed on Ebay. In this case a 1/8th scale Big Tub kit. It is over $200 on Ebay and only $100 on this site. As temping as it is, and a great deal if it is real, something tells me to hang on to my money and go with a trusted site. 

Edited by Oldmopars

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

It is one of those times when the price of the kit just seems too good to be true.

That's how I got sucked in... I got 4 models for 43 bucks. They wanted 25 dollars to ship one model but if you spent more than 40 then you got the shipping free so I got 2 more, the 2 racecar kits and a Foose Caddy and a checkered box racing champions Red 78 Monte Carlo issue from 2000 with the custom chopper? it was only 9 bucks! That was a red flag on its own...  it would've been nice to aleast get a courtesy letter telling me what kind of dope I am. ? Meh...

Say, while I'm thinking about it did you ever get the trophy plaque? 

3 hours ago, KWT said:

You guys are doing a bang up job.

I've been looking for a kit that trips my trigger, ever since the idea for this one was announced. But nothing has really done it for me. I love the concept, but nothing grabs me.

But... I have an idea... and I think I'm going to jump in with this.

image000000.jpg.b09f70ddc5c6f83a844c5057ef1ac4d7.jpg

I realized earlier today, I have this and several Monogram Nascars as well... I'm going to rob parts that I need from any of those and some factory monte's also. And I have a few 3d and resin options to pick through engine wise.

The nose,  hood, and rear bumper are pretty much interchangeable. The deck lid and taillights look like they would work too. 

16108479861232753723276432615592.thumb.jpg.2f6433984b59f6921d1c59d8071c4fed.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

The nose,  hood, and rear bumper are pretty much interchangeable. The deck lid and taillights look like they would work too. 

16108479861232753723276432615592.thumb.jpg.2f6433984b59f6921d1c59d8071c4fed.jpg

That's what I was hoping. I was planning on using the lights and mirrors and little things things here and there.

Going for a more raceworthy rendition of the olds I did a couple years back... Maybe. Still have to decide on color(s) 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

That's how I got sucked in... I got 4 models for 43 bucks. They wanted 25 dollars to ship one model but if you spent more than 40 then you got the shipping free so I got 2 more, the 2 racecar kits and a Foose Caddy and a checkered box racing champions Red 78 Monte Carlo issue from 2000 with the custom chopper? it was only 9 bucks! That was a red flag on its own...  it would've been nice to aleast get a courtesy letter telling me what kind of dope I am. ? Meh...

Say, while I'm thinking about it did you ever get the trophy plaque? 

yes I did, thank you. 

I have been burned by what should have been a great deal and now I am more cautious

7 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

yes I did, thank you

You're welcome, I just felt like we deserve something tangible for our efforts... it was last minute thought...but this year I'll do something more in addition to.. as long as I run the CBR I'll do something for the winners... just to say thanks for the efforts...

Got my roll cage figured out today. I’m just using the main hoop and the back part of the cage from the nascar kit along with some more modern seats from the parts box that will need to be raised up due to the fact the nascar chassis has a very low floor.  

4EA2239A-B39B-456E-86FD-EAB304E2D5B5.jpeg.859ed36c2196c03afe19dd18f4811852.jpeg

37A09C77-7255-4764-9485-D1A564B67D19.jpeg.ede1676ea86327bf311eb59458bc720f.jpeg

Also got the gto body into primer and have found quite a few problems with it so I’m considering doing a ratty and rust patina look with mix mached body parts to give it even more of a sleeper look.  

3FD84730-D8D2-4837-9F2D-7830FF19FAEE.jpeg.4cdc20f68c56f72e24ce33493d6a8df6.jpeg

C489DCBE-BFF0-469E-BB1E-211E062F9FD2.jpeg.55d6b472773c678aba440806345a4d55.jpeg

Edited by 426 pack