Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

On 1/24/2021 at 1:37 AM, Oldmopars said:

Well, I think I am at the finish line with this build. I had several times I wanted to throw it at the wall, but in the end I think it turned out OK. 

I give you a 80-90's Ford/Pontiac NASCAR disguised as a 1960 Chevrolet Impala........................

Fantastic! Great concept, the finished result looks excellent.

Also enjoying seeing what everyone else is up to.

Having virtually finished another build I thought I'd spend a few minutes on my Skyline/Leopard mash-up - as it's a little more involved than my usual thing I musn't leave it until the last minute!

50870749438_0d745ec9b6_b.jpg

1:24 Tamiya Nissan Leopard kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Using my helpful assembled chassis from the Skyline I built A Long Time Ago, I could see that some of this plastic behind the front bumper needed to be removed.

50871555652_5316b21816_b.jpg

That's left me with just the pins and a tiny bit of material to take off the front of the Skyline chassis - I'm not doing that to this one, as it needs to go back under a Skyline! It's very helpful to know what to expect when I start on the fresh chassis.

50871456271_06cc453406_b.jpg

Next job was to open-up the bonnet. It went OK without too much collateral damage, helped by the Leopard's body being quite a thick, solid moulding.

50871555327_cfb08e6b4f_b.jpg

One reason for choosing the Leopard was that its bonnet could be removed whilst still leaving a cowl in front of the windscreen (some of the options I looked at had the bonnet extending to the bottom of the glass, which would have meant extra work and hassle). Looks like just a bit of infill between the cowl and bulkhead will be required. The complete Skyline engine, radiator, inner wings etc seem to fit under the Leopard's front end like it was meant to be.

50871455966_9614879b23_b.jpg

I'm contemplating swapping it to LHD, figuring that it would suit the roads better and I found this spare one from a Tamiya Nissan Silvia that should do the job. It doesn't matter that it won't match the Skyline interior tub, as I plan on removing the sides from it and using those from the Leopard, all I want is the base and its mounting points for the rollcage. Found some CB sets and a fire extinguisher when I was looking through the parts box for something else.

50870748828_979e97e8a9_b.jpg

Having established that the basic concept will work I can get onto the important business of choosing wheels. I don't want anything too racy, I was going to go for a set of mesh wheels of some sort, then I remembered this accessory set of Volk Racing GTP wheels that came with a later Nissan Leopard. I like the fact that they're 6-spoke, similar to the original 14" alloys. I need to check a few brake disc options, wanting to get something as large as possible inside these wheels.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

21 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Well, I think I am at the finish line with this build. 

Ditto the other guys: that's a real beauty - awesome chrome work?

On 23/01/2021 at 7:30 PM, disconovaman said:

My little girl is working hard on taping/painting her Chevy SS cop car. I'm coaching her but she's adamant that she knows what to do.?

Sensing Oldmopars might just have a challenger come voting time!?

You where talking about wether.. -24 deg celsius here today ?

#19 Corvette C5-R

Well i have decided my way forward. If I would use the Corvette body i would like to open up the front end and the hardest part to get looking good is probobly the side windows and all the gaps when opening the hood. And again a Corvette is still a Corvette. So i will not use the Corvette body. The chassis with the cover underneath will have to be stretched but since i wont have a rear seat in this body either, but moore room inside, i can use the frame more intact than what would be possible in the Impala. And since the new body have more height in the engine bay the engine will fitt better. I can also use the original transmission location. The rear wing support and difusor support will also be functional due to the design of the body it will be good to have support for the "carbonfibre" body work. 

I am stoked about the new approach!

It's a Revell ´99 Silverado that i made as a kid. Stripped the paint long ago and did a chop so its now a short cab. I cut the inner part of the bed out to make room for the back part of the corvette and fuel cells and more.

I will use some the lower pieces of the Corvette rollbar and ad to that some parts from a Porsche GT2 rollbar for the upper part. I will make a second flor i think so i can have exhaust running along the floorboard and exit behind the cab.

Is this still with in the Competition?

IMG_4341.jpeg.b8767be06f7aa7d4b17925b8ad412aec.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

Some really nice work going on everyone's builds,..

1 hour ago, Mattilacken said:

You were talking about weather.. -24 deg celsius here today ?

Is this still with in the Competition?

Anton, you have set a fire under me with your pick up project...(it's only -5 celsius here today)

I am declaring my entry cannonball2021.thumb.jpg.9892d035aad5c78f67b98f66b97cbf4a.jpg

A barn find '57 Cameo wrapper on a full Nascar chassis and engine, suitably sponsored by the Cartoon network Wacky racing lol...

Let the hacking and whacking begin....

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

Anton, you have set a fire under me with your pick up project...(it's only -5 celsius here today)

I am declaring my entryA barn find '57 Cameo wrapper on a full Nascar chassis and engine, suitably sponsored by the Cartoon network Wacky racing lol...

Nice project! I where debating that body style(‘57), square body or the ‘99, but of the thre I had the 99 was the only one with a non stepside bed, which suits the cassis better ?

Will be following yours! 

There is some pretty impressive fabrication going on in here.

I chose some bucket seats from my parts box to replace the single racing seat. They're going to be a lot more comfortable on a long haul and it's easier to fit a second person in the car if there's a second seat. I also mounted the rear view mirror and a CB to the roll cage, both good for spotting cops.

YmzGDli.jpg

The kit came with a pod that covered the gauges and I didn't care for it, so I left it off and used a cluster decal from a GTR. I mounted the steering wheel and column. I also mounted a platform for a laptop, a police scanner and a GPS.

4h9rFXT.jpg

A little more progress on the GTO, 

Going to use the stock nascar exhaust but with a few little modifications such as a H pipe and a secondary single exhaust existing under the car by the drives side tire going though a muffler to keep the noise down going though towns. 

F0A1C330-A6B6-46CE-8884-C7EFC9C35DDC.jpeg.12992fa94e0aec310f96fae61f46a871.jpeg

On 1/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, Danno said:

What's snow?

??

Dude, I'm just north of you, come up and skid around with the Cali newbies!
50876973707_0c240b99e4_c.jpg

17 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

I am declaring my entry cannonball2021.thumb.jpg.9892d035aad5c78f67b98f66b97cbf4a.jpg

A barn find '57 Cameo wrapper on a full Nascar chassis and engine, suitably sponsored by the Cartoon network Wacky racing lol...

I have a '55 and '57 Cameo, was thinking of an Indy under it, giant fuel cell under the hood.  ?

7 hours ago, avidinha said:

There is some pretty impressive fabrication going on in here.

[...] I also mounted the rear view mirror and a CB to the roll cage, both good for spotting cops. [...]

The kit came with a pod that covered the gauges and I didn't care for it, so I left it off and used a cluster decal from a GTR. I mounted the steering wheel and column. I also mounted a platform for a laptop, a police scanner and a GPS.

4h9rFXT.jpg

About what I did!   Very nice.

2 hours ago, 426 pack said:

A little more progress on the GTO, 

Going to use the stock nascar exhaust but with a few little modifications such as a H pipe and a secondary single exhaust existing under the car by the drives side tire going though a muffler to keep the noise down going though towns. 

[...]

There going to be a cut-off added?  At least you're thinking of this issue too!

#11:  Got the engine literally stuffed in, zero clearance.  This is how the exhaust looks, there is a cat up front, and a Lexus muffler out back.

IMG_1032.jpg

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Dude, I'm just north of you, come up and skid around with the Cali newbies!
50876973707_0c240b99e4_c.jpg

That's right, my friend.

You're just north . . . and about 6,000 feet higher in elevation!

After 26 years in the Colorado Rockies, I always say I don't need any more shoveling or scraping or chipping or freezing.  Now, if I want to see/experience snow, ice, and cold all I have to do is drive an hour or so . . . I don't have to live it every day any more!  LOL. 

Glad you have it and I don't.  [But it is beautiful!  A whole lot better when you can burrow in, build a fire, and work from home til it's gone.]

??

4 hours ago, Danno said:

That's right, my friend.

You're just north . . . and about 6,000 feet higher in elevation!

After 26 years in the Colorado Rockies, I always say I don't need any more shoveling or scraping or chipping or freezing.  Now, if I want to see/experience snow, ice, and cold all I have to do is drive an hour or so . . . I don't have to live it every day any more!  LOL. 

Glad you have it and I don't.  [But it is beautiful!  A whole lot better when you can burrow in, build a fire, and work from home til it's gone.]

??

Technically, about 4,000 feet higher.  On rare occasions, Phoenix sees snow, so there is a chance..... ?  I used to ski, looked forward to snow, this has been awesome powder, just needs to be at least 3 feet deep, and steep, for a quick run.  I did plan ahead getting Juniper firewood, been keeping a fire going all day.  Just for some amusement, here is our wildlife:

Sorry to distract from the topic, what is the theoretical route and time of year this Cannonball is running?   Those of us with retired rally cars hope for bad weather.  ?

On 1/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, Danno said:

Dang. And I thought I had a unique idea!  LOL.

??

Great minds...and all that eh Danno..??

Here's my Cannonball (Aussie Ball) entry from a couple years ago..

Kenny Schrader's AC Delco Craftsman truck made into a trophy truck !

IMG_5517%20600x450_zpsbywmipid.jpg

IMG_5518%20600x450_zps1yrr1nco.jpg

I just hope we haven't bitten off more than we can finish before next winter

got some cutting and fitting done, ...this just might work...!

YzoAbel.jpg

Glued the bed sides and front panel to each other,  using the 'planks' as the square template.

tnxt5Fh.jpg

Trimmed out the wheel wells up front

Y6xo9FV.jpg

After the dust cleared today

IOaP9kc.jpg

Now to figure out what engine to cram in there

Edited by Belugawrx

54 minutes ago, Pete75 said:

Ok, I want a javalina!! ?

Looks like good breakfast ham...lol

20 hours ago, Misha said:

Welcome aboard Bruce! Really like your concept of slipping the NASCAR chassis under a pickup that is 65 some years old. 
Looking forward to your and everyone’s builds.

Cheers Misha

Hey Mish, hows the Camaro coming along,..that thing looks fast sitting in the drive thru lol