Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

Been tweaking Stuperbird's chassis. 

When last seen, I'd just chopped it and glued it back together. Now the wheelbase was right, but the whole rear quarter of the chassis seemed to hang out the back of the car: 

70SuperBirdCBall66.jpg.5d2821f0993a0a43df38303c7a3b21ec.jpg

Turns out the shortened chassis had dried bent a little downward when I glued it back together. So I cracked the frame at the glue joint, bent the rear up a little, filled the crack with super glue gel, and let that cure for 24 hours. There, that's better. Then I chopped about 1/8" off the back end of the chassis. Also painted the wheels black, and made them fit into the selected tires, which took a little 2nd Degree Snake-Fu, as they're actually a bit too deep. Thanks Gary (Gramps 46) for the wheels, I love them! 

70SuperBirdCBall72.jpg.f5032613c43d83d092e1e2f52ef5363b.jpg

So here Stupidbird sits, for the first time ever, on its corrected chassis with the actual wheels and tires it will wear for the drive. Compare this pic with the first one in this post. There we go! Might need a little tweaking between the body and the windows, interior, and chassis and how they all fit together to get the body down over the chassis a hair more, but this is basically it. As always, comments welcome. 

70SuperBirdCBall70.jpg.f0bc42e41c80018bd67c50894a547c5b.jpg

Edited by Snake45

I got the dash installed. Once the body is on it'll push the cage down and look like it goes through the dash.

XZyudRv.jpg

I also installed 2 fuel cells where the back seat would be.2 more fuel cells would fit in the trunk for a total of 64 extra gallons of fuel capacity.

WWdnf8i.jpg

With the interior otherwise complete I went ahead and put on the door panels.

tLxYSc6.jpg

It's going to be a couple months before the weather is good enough for painting, so I might not have another update for a while.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, MeatMan said:

I'll join the challenge with the C7R.

Not the most low profile car but on sale at Hobby Lobby.

A lot of great fabrication work being done on your builds. I'll have to find some goodies to add as well.

C7R Kit Pic.jpg

LOL  That should be easy, just don't put decals on.  😉

On 1/25/2021 at 7:11 PM, disconovaman said:

Well she has mastered two-toned paint (kinda) ? and waterslide decals... the kid's a natural...? She wanted black and white until the model arrived and she seen the molded in blue, she loved it! so It's blue and white.. 

20210125_193516.jpg

16116234231032155998449559627796.jpg

Very nice, I like the police approach...

Haven’t made much progress on the GTO but I did track down a supercharger for the nascar motor so now I should have somewhere around 1000hp under the hood. The only problem is that my fuel mileage will not be good so I will be biulding a bigger fuel cell. 

7B630C98-180A-4E5E-8D6B-53CEC26FFE31.jpeg

I see everyone else is focused on having as much horsepower as possible, and the biggest fuel tank to go at least as far as my little Subie before a pit stop.  Bet none of you are thinking about the driver and co-driver, far as staying awake and hydrated.  😜

IMG_1088.jpg

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I see everyone else is focused on having as much horsepower as possible, and the biggest fuel tank to go at least as far as my little Subie before a pit stop.  Bet none of you are thinking about the driver and co-driver, far as staying awake and hydrated.  😜

IMG_1088.jpg

"MOVE OVER"   nice touch

10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I see everyone else is focused on having as much horsepower as possible, and the biggest fuel tank to go at least as far as my little Subie before a pit stop.  Bet none of you are thinking about the driver and co-driver, far as staying awake and hydrated.  

I'm not putting anything back there, but Stupidbird has the whole back seat area open--you could curl up back there and take a nap if necessary. Stupidbird's so big and will have a big enough engine to easily accommodate air conditioning if desired. I don't think I have any spare scale AC units hanging around or I'd include one. B)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:37 PM, Oldmopars said:

Well, I think I am at the finish line with this build. I had several times I wanted to throw it at the wall, but in the end I think it turned out OK. 

I give you a 80-90's Ford/Pontiac NASCAR disguised as a 1960 Chevrolet Impala.  I stretched the chassis 1/4in, cut off the Ford front suspension and replaced it with Pontiac NASCAR suspension. The engine would not do, so I replaced it with a LS Engine (3D Printed). Pegasus supplied the wheels and tires. 

I kept most of the Impala interior, seat, dash, door panels, but no back seat. Don't need it. All the NASCAR stuff is also included, cooler, fire extinguisher, diff cooler, etc. The fuel tank was enlarged a lot (1/4in) to add a major increase in fuel range. Battery was relocated to the trunk for better balance. 

The roll bar was trimmed to fit and dropped down through the dash. 

The car presents as a mild custom show car, but is all NASCAR under the skin. 

I will get better pictures in the near future and put them under glass.

IMG_5446.jpg

A thing of beauty!

Well done!

15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

IMG_1088.jpg

Well, if you look at my 60 Impala it has a nice bench seat for driver and co-driver as well as a cooler in the back for hydration. So, yes, I did think about it. 

18 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

IMG_1088.jpg

I swapped a v8 for a turbo 4cyl that's less that half the displacement and I'm at least doubling the fuel capacity so I've got fuel economy covered. Driver comfort is a bit limited though due to the race interior. 

For my C7R I've nailed down what I want to do, and no I won't be just leaving off the decals on the original body as had been implied.

It so happens that I have the body from the Foose C7 that I robbed the interior and drivetrain from for my 70 Camaro restocustom. I'll be using that body with the racing engine and chassis but its not a simple swap. The racing body is a widebody, and the chassis is a bit wider. The interior, however fits like a glove. No cutting to make it fit necessary. I do plan to have a passenger seat so I've got to cut out all of the racing paraphernalia and replace the floor where they now reside.

I'll be using the kit wheels with some tires I had in the parts box which I believe came from a Viper kit. They are the same diameter but the C7R tires are hollow, and the wheels are designed for hollow tires and have a ridge and ribs that I ground off to make them fit. They fit fairly well under the body but the rear wheels stick out about 2mm too far. I think I can massage the wheels and chassis to make them fit, but that's for tomorrow.

The pics below tell the story of where I am. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20210202_134811783.jpg

IMG_20210202_134412233.jpg

IMG_20210202_151432509.jpg

IMG_20210202_151608933~2.jpg

IMG_20210202_153341742.jpg

IMG_20210202_154707826.jpg

IMG_20210202_154744185.jpg

IMG_20210202_155255358.jpg

IMG_20210202_155406564.jpg

IMG_20210202_155217807.jpg

IMG_20210202_172827309.jpg

IMG_20210202_172850374.jpg

6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

For my C7R I've nailed down what I want to do, and no I won't be just leaving off the decals on the original body as had been implied.

[...]  I do plan to have a passenger seat so I've got to cut out all of the racing paraphernalia and replace the floor where they now reside.

[...]

Don't go overboard to prove me wrong! 🤭  Roll cage the main focus to cut out?

Talking about paraphernalia, I tossed some into my interior.
IMG_1104.thumb.jpg.e0e3b4e266283e3c0303034fbc2fb5dd.jpg

2 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Made some progress on the C5-R silverado.

chassis and frame is stretched. Cage is found. Placement of the wheels is set. Will need a lift now but getting there.

more to read in its own thread under wip other racers.

Looks like its going to be wild!