Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

17 hours ago, camaro69 said:

The race goes on... Nice progress here.

@pete75: I´m feeling with you. Wish you luck for the second body.

@misha: Your Camaro is looking good. Nice details at all.

I have done some things too over the last days.

Cutted out the trunk lid but on the rear I did a fail 😡 and cutted it above the taillights. Here´s stage 1.

Stage 2: corrected it and did the water drip rails...

My wife (and me too) wasn´t happy with the Monte Carlo´s roll cage because it would be seen through the rear side windows.

So we (I) decided to scratchbuild a new one for a four door sedan... It´s nearly done even with some pads...

After finishing the cage I will try to lift it of the chassis for easier painting then reconnect it.

That´s for this week. Rico

Very nice work!

A bit more done on the Dodge:

lolfp-04.jpg.31d84f345294adf10306e9edfb5edebc.jpg

Engine and chassis painted, ignition wires added, and I've started painting the molded-in details on the firewall and inner fenders. I'm giving the engine a little more go with the centrifugal supercharger out of AMT's '57 Ford. Seeing as their durability was tried and proven on the NASCAR circuit, it should be just fine for a cross-country trip.

I also decided that, since I'm building the car, I ought to include the little old lady as well:

lolfp-05.jpg.6a887f141d96ffa150408708026cdd0c.jpg

This won't be Kathryn "Put a Dodge in Your Garage, Honey" Minner, though. Agnes here is a former pilot and mechanic, who decided in her retirement to take her knowledge and no-cares-to-give and put them into building the ultimate street racer. The "dotty old pensioner" facade helps her get away with a lot more than someone of lesser years may be able to.

Wow, @Pat Minarick those two look great! Love the weathered bodywork, it looks so realistic.

I've officially finished my Audi interior. I decided to do a carbon fibre rear firewall and door cards to go with the Kevlar seats in the name of weight saving/looking cool! It was easier to decal on a flat surface so I stripped the doors and added scratch built winders, levers & pulls. Tried using double sided tape for the belt ribbons - ok, but fiddly & will take some practice.IMG_20210311_180213965.thumb.jpg.7b9d71a3595402c462607c59f6767c77.jpg

IMG_20210311_180106709.thumb.jpg.999bf130f8ed9f3ca9c941d68b470647.jpg

Just waiting for the clear coat to dry on the bodywork now. Keep on Cannonballin' y'all!! 👍

Edited by Pete75

Okay. The Matador is just going to be too much work to get to the quality I'm looking for,  so I'm going to change my entry. 

I'll be doing this Revell 68 Corvette. The kit IS a purpose built race car. Painted in a stock color, only a real Corvette fan would know it from stock. I'm back in this. 

20210314_171119.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Jantrix, your Revell Corvette is a '68. And yes it's a real race car. B)

Thanks Snake. It didn't occur to me that the year on the box was the year it was raced. I've done some research on it prior. It's a pretty slick little car.

First update of the build. I've finally started cleaning up parts and all the fun stuff before paint. Using the 06 Camaro kit and using the engine from the Tim Richmond Folgers Monte Carlo. I wanted to use different headers, but my spare parts are limited since I've been building only 6 years now. So I decided to cut the crappy catalytic converters off of the Camaro exhaust so the Nascar headers will fit. Had to cut a little bit of the frame for everything to fit decent. I'll probably keep the stock wheels on it and try to lower it just a little. Colors for the body and interior are undecided right now, but I have a few ideas that may be pretty cool. I'm using the old cb radio from the Fireball Roberts 57 Ford. May go to Hobby Lobby some time and see what other ideas I may be able to come up with in the interior. Only one picture for right now. Post more soon I hope

20210317_125328.jpg

#5 Audi Quattro:

Not that far away now. Body #2 (nearer) has been clear coated, sanded & (mostly) polished. The rubber seals & door handles have been painted.

IMG_20210321_012952131.thumb.jpg.adfdd4ff7530d774a2fab673bf09720d.jpg

Weirdly, after sanding and polishing, it now looks darker than #1, but if anything I prefer it so all good. The first shell has proved a useful testing ground, and the latest trial is with my scratch built CB whip antenna - made from a guitar string & micro spring (look closely). However, despite having bought the pack of springs especially, I'm not sure I can bring myself to put it on the final car, having now looked at it side by side. The roof is really the only feasible place to mount it, but I think it detracts from the body lines, so the CB may just have to have a retractable (and completely invisible) antenna!!

Edit: Ok, after sleeping on it, I've edged back towards the antenna. Not drilling anything yet though, just in case... Tune in later for more intense modelling drama!! 😆

Edited by Pete75

I am ready to start my Cannonball Vette. I'm looking forward to this one. Although I have cannibalized many Corvette kits over the years, I've never actually built one.  The John Greenwood '68 lends itself to this CBP very well. The interior is pure racing, and the engine is set up that way as well, BUT, the kit is based on the Revell '68 L88 2in1. So my Lee Greenwood '68 comes with the stock exhaust, bumperettes and a few other things, left over from the 2in1 kit. I'm going for a day 2 muscle car look. Paint finish is likely going to be a stealth matte.

20210326_092954.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

#5 Audi Quattro 

Calling her done! 

IMG_20210327_234931319.thumb.jpg.acb7922123d98e524e2fa7563c09f4f0.jpg

627388231_IMG_20210327_2353118052.thumb.jpg.fc31e52f17bbbf5114b494c3cf3cef34.jpg

IMG_20210327_235232923.thumb.jpg.34f8057ac269bc027d0f3cd0a7c68d59.jpg

Not the most stealthy appearance, perhaps - with spot lamps & smoked rear lights - but I'm not having something that took so long looking uncool! 😎 Also, I wouldn't want to drive through the night at 150mph without the best available lighting. The plans for tinted windows were abandoned for various reasons, but at least the hard work on the interior isn't hidden now.

Best of luck with all your ongoing builds guys. I'll be here watching 👍

55 minutes ago, Pete75 said:

#5 Audi Quattro 

Calling her done! 

IMG_20210327_234931319.thumb.jpg.acb7922123d98e524e2fa7563c09f4f0.jpg

Not the most stealthy appearance, perhaps - with spot lamps & smoked rear lights - but I'm not having something that took so long looking uncool! 😎 Also, I wouldn't want to drive through the night at 150mph without the best available lighting. The plans for tinted windows were abandoned for various reasons, but at least the hard work on the interior isn't hidden now.

Best of luck with all your ongoing builds guys. I'll be here watching 👍

Absolutely fabulous! I think this model perfectly embodies both the letter and the spirit of this build--full race underneath but would hardly rate a second glance on the outside. VERY well done and model on! B)

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fabulous! I think this model perfectly embodies both the letter and the spirit of this build--full race underneath but would hardly rate a second glance on the outside. VERY well done and model on! B)

Thanks very much, Snake! Appreciate the compliment 😀

An overdue update on my IMSA Camaro build...

Been spending time scratchbuilding and modifying parts for the interior of the Camaro. As stealth is a key component the car will be equipped with cutting edge electronics to detect and evade! In addition the bare bones interior requires some greater detail, such door panel armrests and road going amenities, such as a cooler for drinks and snacks!

Most of the time has been spent masking and painting. The body now has its Champagne Gold colour with a light yellow vinyl top. The engine bay is in semi-gloss black awaiting more paint detail. The chassis plate received a panel wash before the grey primer coat and is on its way. The primed interior also had a wash applied before the colour is sprayed.

31791BD9-B753-41BC-A44E-BEE8EBD4F065.jpeg.1dac064fd23a3249d53e0e3ff37d8b1a.jpeg

1FD1B4CD-5E75-47D7-ABA5-364F0266DC95.thumb.jpeg.5be397ef89ae95ccc416bdbf1d40b47d.jpeg

4E26E81A-94CA-47D3-9D58-7E538B8F4F73.jpeg.b3c913166f725d98fd47baa26528c9b9.jpeg

02A6F260-AF28-4CEF-867F-89B6DF9CCBB0.jpeg.08a6fba6f121f87435177574e91893da.jpeg

Overall I’m pleased with the progress. While I have used Tamiya masking tape in the past, this is the first time I have used it exclusively, avoiding the green and blue tapes and found it made for a much better seal with no paint creep. Just need to stock up on it. I’ve also switched to using Tamiya paints exclusively for bodies and Vallejo for interiors, both brush and air.

Cheers for now, Misha 

Edited by Misha

49 minutes ago, Misha said:

An overdue update on my IMSA Camaro build...

Been spending time scratchbuilding and modifying parts for the interior of the Camaro. As stealth is a key component the car will be equipped with cutting edge electronics to detect and evade! In addition the bare bones interior requires some greater detail, such door panel armrests and road going amenities, such as a cooler for drinks and snacks!

Most of the time has been spent masking and painting. The body now has its Champagne Gold colour with a light yellow vinyl top. The engine bay is in semi-gloss black awaiting more paint detail. The chassis plate received a panel wash before the grey primer coat and is on its way. The primed interior also had a wash applied before the colour is sprayed.

[...]

You still have 3/4 of the year to go.  😁  No mufflers? 🚔  Could do a reverse of why there are 'cut-offs'.  I have a roll of Tamiya tape, got messed up laying in with other stuff, and looking like a cinnamon roll due to gravity.  I would put between cardboard to keep it straight.

53 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

You still have 3/4 of the year to go.  😁  No mufflers? 🚔  

Hi Kurt, actually there will be two systems in place with a civilian single exhaust exiting the rear fascia being switched with a wireless solenoid gate between the open exhausts, which, to help “stealth” are exiting on the passenger side. Also note tow hook attachment, just in case!
E82D2EF8-C51C-47D4-A56E-B0029FEC5D22.jpeg.5a6b2f35200461cc0ca4eb6ff163fdb5.jpeg

The plan is to appear like a “secretary’s ride” from a distance. Once stopped, the time spent is a huge penalty, so evade detection by modern means (including a spotter aircraft) and go like stink when it’s safe. To help night time high speed runs the car will be equipped with forward and rearward infra-red radar.

Cheers Misha   PS watched B-J auction yesterday while at the workbench, made me home sick for Scottsdale...

Edited by Misha