Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

Great progress going on here folks!

719679294_IMG_0239(1).thumb.jpg.53e7b3888316dfc6e5f95e09b558a6e9.jpg

Got some weathering done on the old girl, fiberglass bed sides and steel cab, looking pretty close..

This is the first clear coat Duplicolor Wheel Matte, over multiple layers of craft paint,.. over Duplicolor Red oxide filler primer

Still haven't decided on an engine yet...

Cheers Cannonballers!

Edited by Belugawrx
speeling
  • Like 1

Getting closer to getting the C7 done.

Because the C7 hood wouldn't properly shut with all the C7R intake ducting in place, I decided to design and print a manifold to use a FI throttle body I had in the parts box and get rid of the crossram setup that was under the ducting. Finding air filters to work with it just became too much.

I also added a front air dam because the C7R body came down lower than the C7 and there was chassis showing. I'll do some more work to make it look more finished though.

The last pic is my prepaint mockup. Other than the air dam there's not much more to do, as I've done some minor fixing already.

C7 Engine Ducting.jpg

C7 Manifold Change.jpg

C7 Air Dam Change.jpg

C7 Prepaint Side.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:41 PM, spencer1984 said:

...and she's done! The Little Old Lady from Pasadena looks nice and unassuming in her pretty little no-frills Dodge:

lolfp-09.jpg.b71851b12a0496192a172dbfa5049d9d.jpg

lolfp-13.jpg.de32c1638cba09b7e4dd915ee385fd1d.jpg

The tires are a bit wide, maybe, but with those steelies and dog dish caps (thanks for the trade, Sam I Am!) it likely won't get a second glance. But under the hood...

lolfp-10.jpg.67889848d5fd01c64afe26433d858dfa.jpg

...a Supercharged 426 Hemi, all tucked up nice & neat so nothing stands out. Track tested and proven, it should have no problem running all day long.

lolfp-11.jpg.06af90c17a945b97b5e75e2749383fef.jpg

Inside is equally low-key, stripped of anything noncritical and painted black so the exposed sheetmetal and roll bar don't stand out to any passers-by. The auxilliary gauges have been moved to the transmission tunnel just to keep the dash neat. But it still needed something more. One final, borderline crazy, last ditch ace-in-the-hole so if it came down to the last quarter mile she could be sure nothing could beat her.

lolfp-15.jpg.d51a4b68ca00801dd479cd2f77c25bd1.jpg

That ought to do it! Turbonique by Alan Raab, with additional bracing and various lines to it scratch built. I removed the stock fuel tank (a larger unit could be mounted in the trunk) and made a heat-shielded pocket for the turbine out of styrene and Duck tape.

lolfp-12.jpg.ed57050e8502f28174fb24fccc4686a5.jpg

The Lady with her ride:

lolfp-14.jpg.5758dbf76e2590127d0ea4d8a837eed5.jpg

Fantastic sleeper!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Well I'm done with the C7 Foose over C7R.  I wanted something as covert as you can get with a Vette

Well Done! You can never go wrong  with black!  Definitely in Stealth mode... I like the pop of color also. With modern car culture the way it is, this one blends in perfectly... 

I'm seeing some beautiful work and creativity here with all the builds... Sorry I haven't been around to turbo charge the thread as much lately... I am as impressed as always at the participation and skills you folks bring to the table! 

A quick shout out to all the finished contestants...You have set the bar for the rest of us! We still have plenty of time to finish these Awesome projects let's get moving!

I truly am inspired by the continued support, profound work, and dedication we put into the CBR year after year... I know we will, no doubt continue to keep the Cannonball Run challenge great! Keep up the Excellent work guys... I'm gonna get back on this Police Car so I can haul you all in for Speeding, Wreckless driving, eluding, littering, and whatever else I can think of... 😁😁😁 

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see others making progress or completing their builds.

I've taken a bit of break from the models because of 1:1 life, but great weather last weekend and some spare time saw me get the colour and clear onto my Nissan Leopard on Skyline GT-R floorpan:

1:24 Tamiya Nissan Leopard kit

1:24 Tamiya Nissan Leopard kit

The engine is fitted in these shots, I have no issues with clearance (the front of an R32 is lower, if anything I need to add material to the inner wings to fill the gap).

I've since polished it up, with good results.

Rather than the stealth black/beater look I'm trying to hide the performance of this one in plain sight. It'll look like a smart example of a chintzy early '80s personal luxury car, but not something anyone would expect to go very fast. I need to tone down the wheels a bit, and get the fronts sitting inside the arches not protruding as they do at present. I may even try a different style, I was detailing a set of BBS mesh wheels for another project and tried them on this, they suited it very well.

The interior is going to be my biggest challenge, with its combination of the basic GT-R tub, LHD Silvia/180SX dashboard and side panels from the Leopard.

I'm now on leave from work and for another year can't go anywhere too far, so I'll have a bit of time at home to try and move this one along.

Good luck to the rest of you still working on your builds!

• Like 1

Great work every one!!  And congratulations MeatMan on your Finnish! 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:30 AM, Belugawrx said:

Great progress going on here folks!

719679294_IMG_0239(1).thumb.jpg.53e7b3888316dfc6e5f95e09b558a6e9.jpg

Got some weathering done on the old girl, fiberglass bed sides and steel cab, looking pretty close..

This is the first clear coat Duplicolor Wheel Matte, over multiple layers of craft paint,.. over Duplicolor Red oxide filler primer

Still haven't decided on an engine yet...

Cheers Cannonballers!

That Paint looks really good! Great work there! 

Lots of work and COVID restrictions on the schools have resulted in minimum time at the bench during spring and early summer. 

Now I have brought my tools and model to the summer house but due to lack of rainy days(which is unusual in northern Sweden 🇸🇪) a lot of boat trips to the beaches in the hot weather and endless nights with sun down around 22.00, have led to the model being stuck in the box. But I am eager to get something done on it, even though rainy days also is needed for re building the cabin 😉 

Keep it up every one! 

• 2 weeks later...

#19 Chevy Silverado C5-R

Summer have been awesome with allot of sun, boat trips, constructing and sow on. So there have not been allot of bench time. Made some minor progress over the last few days. 

I have fixated the bed to the cab. Measures and cut to extend the difusor but the angle pushed it inward so now when the body is situated I see that I have to extend it more to compensate for the angle. 

7D095684-34F5-40BA-AF4D-4D7CA1BB3A37.jpeg

BE30AC17-A431-40B5-A891-350D269C2926.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm getting back on the Mustang so hopefully I'll have it buttoned up in time. We've had a couple good painting days lately since I've managed to get the body in color and while it's curing I'm getting the chassis detail painted.

20210903_192952.jpg.410afafd11531c28aa497428ce748f3f.jpg

Looking good Brian. Nice big fuel cells in the trunk will make for minimal stops. I'm debating adding some to my 'stang as well. I don't plan on opening up the truck for the final display but I may still add them so I know they're there.

I plan on getting back to mine later tonight. Got some new details to add....finally.

Quick update on my GT350R build.

Wheels were designed and printed by USCP. I ordered them at the beginning of the year, before I bought my 3D printer or I would have printed them myself.

1-500x375.jpg.e8c96def192b9449e8f4e75effc3d9fa.jpg

I haven't painted them yet, maybe later tonight.

For now I'm working on 3D printing my own accessories for this build. I've collected a bunch of different items and fitted them all onto a single build file so below is a pic of the 3D file. I just fired up the printer now, so it'll be a few more hours before I have some finished parts. 

screenShot_interioraccessories_124.png.1a9df4ae6989f6a25267c5965eaee08e.png

So in the pic above we have from left to right, top to bottom, a large suitcase, a satchel (after 25ish hours driving from New York to Redondo Beach my co-pilot and I will need to catch some zzzz's.) I also have a CB radio as well as a internal radio system as the Shelby is still a race car and there is no sound deadening material in this ride. First aid kit is always good to have, anything can happen. A fuel cell for the trunk, I haven't decided if I want to open up the trunk yet, but I want the detail there for the chassis pics before the body goes on. I also have 2 Optima batteries, one for the car and a secondary one for all the electronics. Back to the bottom left, we have another suitcase, followed by some GoPro cameras, not easy to tell what they are in the pic, but it's the eight little boxes. After the cameras are 6 iPhone 12's. Next we have some mounts for the 4 iPad Pros. I don't think I'll have much room left to fit much else in this interior.

That's all for now. Great builds everyone. Time to get this badboy done for the Race.

3 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Looking good Brian. Nice big fuel cells in the trunk will make for minimal stops. I'm debating adding some to my 'stang as well. I don't plan on opening up the truck for the final display but I may still add them so I know they're there.

I plan on getting back to mine later tonight. Got some new details to add....finally.

My kit was already opened in the rear I didn't have to do any additional work to get it open. Yeah, fuel capacity and economy play a big part in the real Cannonball. I also swapped the v8 for a turbo 4cyl to maximize mpg. Losing a few seconds getting to top speed is more than made up for by fewer pit stops.

I am struggling on with my re engineering of a corvette… with the Silverado body.. feels like I am re engineering everything. Well I like it but it’s hard. Not much to show except for tarted new headers. Posable steering and such. Shorted the intake plenums so they suit the looks better and so some other parts will be seen and also aid in connecting the engine to the frame and routing the cage.

DEEE4422-4090-4A94-85C9-E2BF6D8F62EE.thumb.jpeg.18053b2c60768c606b32b38d020addbf.jpeg36D05B66-83F9-4D64-B017-3CA8AEB852C8.thumb.jpeg.6ac47f54eec9054f0b439973a1886f35.jpeg

F69A780B-6EDA-4DAC-BFE6-AA659ACF058E.thumb.jpeg.83218af641408f6b0fda3788d67e8684.jpegFB7ED277-25D1-4A6C-9A4D-39BDF186C196.thumb.jpeg.c50157fa5d87b77ff05e595671126184.jpeg
D6014EFC-286E-4866-BC62-01A8D4FE9B18.thumb.jpeg.5d78a0c83d8689d06e745365e9b660cd.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress engine have new pin mounts so it will always go I one place. Also made some engine brackets for the Alu solid engine mount to mount to. And after a second take with a turbo mock-up in between one side header is routed but need a collector to call it done.

A1C843D5-319C-4088-BCB6-1C2F0374698E.jpeg

6E817871-3D66-47E5-BA60-AE9EB10996D7.jpeg

6B63374E-F376-4931-8E12-6C19EB762541.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken