Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

So just to clarify, the deadline is Wednesday, Dec 1, correct? Not BEFORE Dec 1, meaning Nov 30, tomorrow? (Yes, I'm really running down to the wire.) 

we have all day Wednesday !!👍

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I'm hoping the same thing too!

Right..?

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Rules show midnight of December 1st so you have all day of the 1st.

Thank you Mike..

Latest...

VNU03GY.jpgThis will be the third time I have glued the bed to the cab...

Edited by Belugawrx

5 hours ago, 426 pack said:

the GTO should make it across the finish line. 

The Body... the Engine...the Interior... all matches perfectly! Really taking it to the limit! 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The Great Wide Shock

This is Awesome Snake! Way to finish strong! Love the Name! Love the story! Love the inspiration! And if you are willing to share how you painted the white on the Belly of the Beast, I'm all ears and taking notes, my man!

42 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

This is Awesome Snake! Way to finish strong! Love the Name! Love the story! Love the inspiration! And if you are willing to share how you painted the white on the Belly of the Beast, I'm all ears and taking notes, my man!

I was hoping someone would ask! :D

The white was painted first, out of the cheap Touch N Tone rattlecan. When I first decided on the paint scheme, I spent several weeks trying to noodle out how to mask off the "ragged edge" border that I wanted. What kind of paper or cardboard could I tear and get the desired effect? It finally dawned on me that the simplest (and should have been most obvious) method would be best: I simply tore a strip of masking tape down the center taking care to get it "kinda" even but nowhere near TOO even. I expected to have to do it several times to get what I wanted but the first attempt was almost perfect. I used one half of the strip on one side, and the other half on the other side, so the right side border is actually a "mirror image" of the left. Cool, huh? ;)

The gray is airbrushed Model Master FS36118 Gunship Gray from my model airplane camo stocks. Couldn't find a rattlecan gray primer that was dark enough for what I had in mind. 

Glad you like it! B)

• Like 1

Nice work Snake!

Finally got mine finished tonight. Had to do a couple of lunchbreak stints on it at work, even then I was tight for time and to be honest I rushed it more than I'd like. But it can go down as the first completion since moving house.

IMG_8189.JPG.39f86f41970dde34e27d72107f1eee0a.JPG

IMG_8178.JPG.fcd3d50553f292a69a46bd575d5ff2dd.JPG

A few more photos to go into the completed builds section as soon as I can edit them.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

IMG_8178.JPG.fcd3d50553f292a69a46bd575d5ff2dd.JPG

This is such a handsome car Nigel. As 80's cars go, I've always appreciated this body. Good color and all the parts you've sourced for this have come together seemlessly.  This would have been great for the 2015 "Sleeperball" (which this is sort of like).

🏁Congratulations to all the Cannonballers! Cheers to another successful year... There are some really stand alone models. I'm proud of all the builds! Thanks to all you guys, who without your support and dedication this wouldn't be possible! 

Please continue on with your Cannonball Ruse unfinished builds.

I/we would love to see em... And join the 2022 Cannonball Run Birth year Community Build coming soon! See you then! 😉

• Thanks 1

#22-Willys

As can intuitively be seen by the most casual observer, I did not quite make the start line.  It is not because I didn’t make progress, but as usual, life and health got in the way.

To show that I did get started and how I was dealing with the suspension, I have included a few photos.  I was originally going to swap the straight axle with the K-frame and torsion bars from the ’71 Duster, but longer torsion bars would have helped with engine placement.  Knowing in 1:1 B-bodies have longer torsion bars than A-bodies, I played with the front clip from the ’70 Coronet Pro Street kit.  Lo and behold the torsion bars were longer, but a real surprising bonus is the Coronet K-frame was narrower.  In the 1:1 world, a B-body K-frame should be wider than an A-body.  It looks like the leaf springs and 8-3/4” rear end from the ’71 Duster will fit the frame.

Once that was sorted, I tried to find tires.  I realized that out of all my kits, I have very few radial tires.  I do have a couple kits, but I did not think the rubber band tires would in real life work well on the road.  I finally found a set of generic radials in the ’70 Hemi ‘Cuda which I was going to replace anyway with Polyglas GTs.  The wheels will come from the Duster kit. They are a little loose for the wheels but fit the spindles and rear axle.  I was going to keep the engine and transmission, replacing the blower and drive with some other type of induction and alternator and AC compressor.

With the little bit that got done, I learned because I was trying out various things I learned on this forum.  For example, I never wired a distributor before so I practiced a couple techniques for that, as well as making molds and parts.  I plan to continue the build and if I get on a roll, I will start a WIP.  I also want to do the next Cannonball, but want to find something I already have to match my birth year or close.  I echo the thanks to Anthony to run this.

IMG_3226 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_3230 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_3231 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, Snake45 said:

The white was painted first, out of the cheap Touch N Tone rattlecan. When I first decided on the paint scheme, I spent several weeks trying to noodle out how to mask off the "ragged edge" border that I wanted. What kind of paper or cardboard could I tear and get the desired effect? It finally dawned on me that the simplest (and should have been most obvious) method would be best: I simply tore a strip of masking tape down the center taking care to get it "kinda" even but nowhere near TOO even. I expected to have to do it several times to get what I wanted but the first attempt was almost perfect. I used one half of the strip on one side, and the other half on the other side, so the right side border is actually a "mirror image" of the left. Cool, huh? ;)

Brilliant! And worth the shoutout for it working the first time - we could all use that kind of energy.