Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Charger color?

There was a website out there that had a story about the film being 'color corrected' and making the car on film a slightly different color than the real car was. So it depends on what you want....a model of the car as it would appear  in person or on film.  I built one tears ago before we had a good tunnel back Charger. I used Testors bug yellow with a little green;

When R2 brought out there snap Charger I built another Dirty MAry Charger. It was painted with Tamiya light green and then yellow. It works for me.

MARYLARRYII1.JPG

2 hours ago, Tom99 said:

"Curious Yellow" / "Limelight" 

Curious Yellow (Plymouth) and Citron Yella (spelled correctly, Dodge) are GY3 while Sublime (D) and Lime Light (P) are code FJ5.

Use whichever yellow you feel looks closest.

I found a Kylon spray in Home Depot that looks a lot like Curious Yellow. 

It's called Citrus Green.

Screenshot_20201212-074807.png.09aa83f14a45ac486baae0433c9267eb.png

Only problem is the paint needs to be decanted and airbrushed, otherwise it seems to dry grainy. It can be polished, but it's an unnecessary chore that's best bypassed.

Good color match though. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 8:07 AM, Tom99 said:

The subject of debate for many fans of "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" and Dodge Chargers is the color of the car used in the film. The color of the Charger is a 1971-only Chrysler Corporation color "Curious Yellow" / "Limelight" (GY3), which is a light greenish-yellow color.

Citron Yella and Curious Yellow are the same color and shared the same Chrysler paint code (Y3). Lime Light/Sublime/Sub Lime (J5) was only available in 1970 and is not the same as Y3.

I read your reply, Casey. :)

Edited by SfanGoch

On 12/12/2020 at 8:40 AM, Dave Van said:

There was a website out there that had a story about the film being 'color corrected' and making the car on film a slightly different color than the real car was. So it depends on what you want....a model of the car as it would appear  in person or on film.  I built one tears ago before we had a good tunnel back Charger. I used Testors bug yellow with a little green;

When R2 brought out there snap Charger I built another Dirty MAry Charger. It was painted with Tamiya light green and then yellow. It works for me.

MARYLARRYII1.JPG

What kit did you use for this build, Dave!

Edited by slusher

On 12/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, Dave Van said:

MARYLARRYII1.JPG

what wheels are these?

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Curious Yellow is a very curious color. In some lights it looks green and in bright daylight it looks yellow. 

The Krylon paint captures this effect pretty well. I used it on a 71 Cuda I built and it matches all references I've seen.

Most of the movie it looked yellow to me so I going with yellow..