Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Olds 442 W-30

ModelcarJR

My latest WIP. I painted this body a couple of weeks ago after adding the black vinyl top using masking tape. Its been raining yesterday and today so I was able to rub it out and get some foil on it. Now I am stuck until I can get the rest of the parts painted outside on my patio. I tried to paint some pieces yesterday before it started raining. Unfortunately, it started sprinkling while it was drying and I didn't notice so it has a white haze. I guess I "weathered" these parts! Thanks for looking! ? Oh, and there's a 69 Nova in the background. Painted that yesterday so I guess I have some work to do!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Painted the interior and a few other parts today. Temp was only about 55 outside but I went for it and it worked out pretty well.  I am also going with a two-tone interior a little differently. Painted the floor and doors black, seats, dash and interior red. I used flame red for the interior so its a little darker than the Italian Red exterior. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

John...your work is really good!! That body paint...Vinyl roof.. and the chrome trim are masterfully done. Then we get to the interior...man...GREAT job on that. It's not easy to do all that detail work in there. I built the 72 OLDS from the movie 'PLAY IT TO THE BONE" and it was a fun build. It was a convertible and painted SASSY GRASS GREEN. A lot of chrome on these bad boys...EH? LOL Keep up the great work John...

Thanks, Gary! I appreciate your comments! Yes, there is a lot of foil on this one. I wish Round2 would add some decals to this kit like 442 emblems, the Oldsmobile banner in the rear, dash gauges, etc. It would make some of these old kits so muchaw better! 

I finished the engine, added plug wires and that's it. I painted the air cleaner silver leaf and I can't believe this piece wasn't on the chrome tree and all the pictures that I saw were chrome. The chassis went together well and I am told that this is one of the best replications of a GM chassis. The chassis fit the body pretty easily once the twin "flying alternator and power steering pump" were wiggled into place. Actually, I had to bend the fan belts a bit, but since they are thin, they can bend a little without breaking them. The chassis almost snapped into place and only needed a little bit of glue up front between the frame rails and inner fender liners. So it on wheels! The wheels are from the 64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt kit and the tires are tampo printed Firestone Wide Ovals from a recent reissue of 69 Olds 442 W-30. I have purchased the Thunderbolt kit a couple of times just for the two sets of wheels in that kit. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Gary and Tom! I appreciate your comments! Tom, the paint I used on the engine is Testors Dark Bronze Metallic in the Custom Lacquer System line. I don't know if it has been discontinued but I still have a part of a spray can of it. 

Well, its finished! Front and rear bumpers look OK from the front and back but don't fit well on the side body panels. Kinda disappointing after all the detailing but that is how it goes. It reminds me of the cars in the 60s as a lot of them had bumpers that didn't meet the body correctly, not to mention crooked door lines, etc. I almost ruined the whole build by trying to glue the right side of the rear bumper tight on the body so I am not going to pursue that any further. Maybe I should have done some shaving of the chassis front and back but not sure that would have worked either. So I am just going to leave it as is. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

OOOOHHHHyea....Com'on baby...let's cruze the main !!!!! Now that's a 60's cruzzer for sure. Great job on this build John. Daily drivers(that are really HOT) really didn't have ALL the perfect door gaps etc. They looked good....clean and polished with a fairly kick but motor in them with cherry bomb glass packs in the exhaust... WAAAAY to cool. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.... "hey buddy...wanna run for pinks?"...... lol