Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Nova SS

ModelcarJR

I painted this body late in the week, before it started raining. Since its still rainy, cold and windy, I can't finish painting the related parts for either the 66 Olds or this build. I rubbed out the body and have it foiled. Trim packages seem to be all over the place from chrome trim on everything like a Bel Air to hardly any trim at all like a Biscayne. I chose a moderate approach with some trim around the windows. I also added chrome rockers just because I like chrome rockers. I guess I'll work on tires and wheels and window glass next! Thanks for looking!?

enhance enhance

enhance

Thanks, David and Wes! I appreciate your comments!  David, I don't plan on foiling the fender louver edges as I doubt I could get it to look right. it would require either very thin strips or cutting a larger piece over the edges which would also require some very neat cutting and risk of cutting the paint on a very uneven surface.  I may foil the marker lamps even though there are decals for both. The silver on the decal is not very good but cutting it off would also be a challenge. I may just foil and paint the markers and use the forward decal for the engine size decal.

I forgot to mention the paint is Tamiya light blue metallic over a coat of Tamiya silver leaf. Thanks for looking! ?

Edited by ModelcarJR
Add another comment

On 12/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, ModelcarJR said:

I forgot to mention the paint is Tamiya light blue metallic over a coat of Tamiya silver leaf. Thanks for looking! ?

Is there any difference in the appearance of the top coat using the silver leaf versus a grey primer. Just curious since I've used that Tamiya color in the past and plan on using it on future builds. 

I have one of these kits too and yes there are a variety of trim levels from which to choose. 

Edited by AMT68

Thanks, Carl and Tom! I appreciate your comments! Tom, I think the base coat of silver leaf does brighten the color and makes the metallic shimmer a little more, especially in the sunlight. I am just going by the old advice to use silver under blue, green and purple metallics and gold under red, orange and yellow metallics. But I have broken that rule more than once and just sprayed over gray primer. Thanks for looking! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Carl, Guido and Beamerman! I appreciate your comments! 

Its all together now. Seams I have to work on the front fender to push it down on the inner fender liner better as it has a bit of a tilt to it. Also I only had three Goodyear decals the same size so the right rear tire has a bit bigger Goodyear decal but I'll turn the wheel and push it up under the fender and no one will notice. I decided to foil and paint the marker lamps as I think it looks better than the decal. Unfortunately, one of the 350 decals fell off so I just painted it black. Its been raining so no outdoor pics but here are a few on the workbench. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR