Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 boss 302

Hard_2_Handle_454

I loved the kit and thought about buying another one to make a Mach 1.  After all, I remembered the kit having the scoops in it.  Well I started to cut out the holes to put the scoops in when I noticed; the scoops are from the GT-500 kit, not the Mach 1!  So, now I have a red 302 and a yellow.  Couldn't find my decal setting solution, so I was kinda angry I couldn't get the hood right.  

50678417342_3c075a23f1_k.jpgSAM_0122 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50677586963_2256967130_k.jpgSAM_0123 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50678335056_440238c757_k.jpgSAM_0124 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50677586823_d8f1dd809f_k.jpgSAM_0125 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50677586773_62d45cee7b_k.jpgSAM_0126 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50678417112_7120754dd8_k.jpgSAM_0127 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

33660500818_b9f86ae6b1_k.jpgSAM_0450 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

32594811327_c416d33ab4_k.jpgSAM_0451 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

The 69 Boss 302 Mustangs were unique from all other 69 Mustang Sportroofs because the Boss 302 didn't have the side scoops.  The side scoops were eliminated all together for 1970.  There is an older Mach 1 variant of this kit that has the side scoops.  However, the headlight/grill area is somewhat disproportioned on the older issue.  I believe Revell improved that on the Boss 302 kit.

11 hours ago, eleanor_350 said:

The 69 Boss 302 Mustangs were unique from all other 69 Mustang Sportroofs because the Boss 302 didn't have the side scoops.  The side scoops were eliminated all together for 1970.  There is an older Mach 1 variant of this kit that has the side scoops.  However, the headlight/grill area is somewhat disproportioned on the older issue.  I believe Revell improved that on the Boss 302 kit.

Yeah, I have the old Mach 1 kit lying around somewhere and I was going to cannibalize it.  But, I couldn't find it.  The Boss kit has it marked for where the scoops should go, but the scoops with the kit are for a GT-500/350.  It's an odd mistake.  If the right ones were in the kit I probably would have gone ahead and cut the holes for the inserts and made the conversion.  Same if I had found my old kit.  Everything is there except the decals and the correct scoops.  Frustrating, but whatever.

23 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Nice Boss 302s. My friend was at HL today and texted me that they had one on sale. I asked him to go ahead and grab it for me. I am presently working on a 69 Boss 429 from an older Mach 1 kit.

Yeah, the sale has been nice.  I've spent way too much money on stuff from there this past week.  Models are 40% off.  Better hurry though; all Hobby Lobbys will be closing by April.  The reason why is weirdly awesome.  Basically some workers snitched on them for allowing them to work in shut down states and the owners said, "Cool, you don't want to work? OK, we're shutting down.  Congratulations, you got your wish, you no longer have to go to work."

1 hour ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Yeah, the sale has been nice.  I've spent way too much money on stuff from there this past week.  Models are 40% off.  Better hurry though; all Hobby Lobbys will be closing by April.  The reason why is weirdly awesome.  Basically some workers snitched on them for allowing them to work in shut down states and the owners said, "Cool, you don't want to work? OK, we're shutting down.  Congratulations, you got your wish, you no longer have to go to work."

That was LAST April.

Nice work on the Mustangs. I've built a couple of the '70 kits which it appears this kit is based upon and I love them. Nicely detailed kits that assemble well. I have this '69 too but have yet to build it. 

Edited by AMT68

2 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Nice work. You should be able to get another decal sheet from R-M to fix the hood. If at first you don't succeed...

I think that's where I got it from to begin with.  I used the sheet in the box for the hood on the yellow one.  The first time around the decals got damaged.  I purchased some Mach 1 decals for the red car, and you know the rest.