Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Tbird/Hill climb type build

I've imagined something like this since the mid 1960s. I have long bemoaned the direction Ford took the T-Bird. I have a file in my computer with a list of similar projects.

SCCA used to call their most radical racers "Modifieds". The concept came from the 1950s when the most radical racers might be found on the street in between races. And many of them were built with parts from daily driver cars. So they were in many ways "Modified". Like an MG with a Chevy V8. Or a 52 Plymouth frame with a Dodge Hemi engine and a fiberglass sports car body (I worked on one of those a while back). Or Max Balchowski's O'l Yallers built with a variety of junk yard parts.

By the mid 60s, race cars in the Modified class were full on purpose built race cars with only the basic engine from a daily driver car. Lolas, McLarens, Coopers, Chaparrals, etc. So the class for the most radical cars became "Sports Racer". And "Modified" went away. At the same time, there was then no real class for cars like GS Vettes. Because a GS Vette was no competition for a Cooper Cobra, even if it DID have nearly 100ci bigger engine (377ci GS Vette vs 289ci Cooper Cobra).

Here's my T-Bird Concept:

Thunderbird

Phantom Sports Car

What if Ford decided to divert the T-Bird towards more of a smaller true sports car, instead of growing into a personal luxury car?

Potential Modifications:

• Wheelbase under 100”

• Same width

• V8 Engine moved back

• Standard 312 V8 engine with early T-bird hood scoop

• 427 Version with more bulged front and rear fenders and teardrop hood scoop

• Perimeter frame based on early T-Bird

• Maybe Unit body?

• Shorter tail, more like Cobra, still with trunk

• Wing at rear mounted to rear fender fins or to trunk lid, but extending to fins

• Front fender side engine compartment outlet vents

• Rear axle moved forward to right behind the seats

• IRS with 9” center

• Rear hub on unequal length radius arms with trailing lower link from frame under seat and leading upper link to end of frame rail.

• Rear Semi-Trailing Arm with hub on end of arm With 2 pivots. Near driveshaft and outboard.

• Double A-Arm suspension front with Coilover shock mounted to lower arm.

• Armstrong Coilover shock units

• Front clip looks like 55-57 T-Bird. Grille opening, less grille - preferably 55-56 - minus the massive bumper of the 57

• Rear Clip similar to early T-Bird, but shorter

• Bumperettes instead of big chrome bumpers -- OR -- bumper-free

• Roll bar

• Removable hardtop in 3 versions:

• short top like regular 55-57 top

• Fastback hatchback top

• Double headrest rear deck

I have a T-Bird kit and some Cobra parts set aside, but it's never been built.

So the artist, you and me have all had much the same idea.

12 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

I've imagined something like this since the mid 1960s. I have long bemoaned the direction Ford took the T-Bird. I have a file in my computer with a list of similar projects.

SCCA used to call their most radical racers "Modifieds". The concept came from the 1950s when the most radical racers might be found on the street in between races. And many of them were built with parts from daily driver cars. So they were in many ways "Modified". Like an MG with a Chevy V8. Or a 52 Plymouth frame with a Dodge Hemi engine and a fiberglass sports car body (I worked on one of those a while back). Or Max Balchowski's O'l Yallers built with a variety of junk yard parts.

By the mid 60s, race cars in the Modified class were full on purpose built race cars with only the basic engine from a daily driver car. Lolas, McLarens, Coopers, Chaparrals, etc. So the class for the most radical cars became "Sports Racer". And "Modified" went away. At the same time, there was then no real class for cars like GS Vettes. Because a GS Vette was no competition for a Cooper Cobra, even if it DID have nearly 100ci bigger engine (377ci GS Vette vs 289ci Cooper Cobra).

Here's my T-Bird Concept:

Thunderbird

Phantom Sports Car

What if Ford decided to divert the T-Bird towards more of a smaller true sports car, instead of growing into a personal luxury car?

Potential Modifications:

• Wheelbase under 100”

• Same width

• V8 Engine moved back

• Standard 312 V8 engine with early T-bird hood scoop

• 427 Version with more bulged front and rear fenders and teardrop hood scoop

• Perimeter frame based on early T-Bird

• Maybe Unit body?

• Shorter tail, more like Cobra, still with trunk

• Wing at rear mounted to rear fender fins or to trunk lid, but extending to fins

• Front fender side engine compartment outlet vents

• Rear axle moved forward to right behind the seats

• IRS with 9” center

• Rear hub on unequal length radius arms with trailing lower link from frame under seat and leading upper link to end of frame rail.

• Rear Semi-Trailing Arm with hub on end of arm With 2 pivots. Near driveshaft and outboard.

• Double A-Arm suspension front with Coilover shock mounted to lower arm.

• Armstrong Coilover shock units

• Front clip looks like 55-57 T-Bird. Grille opening, less grille - preferably 55-56 - minus the massive bumper of the 57

• Rear Clip similar to early T-Bird, but shorter

• Bumperettes instead of big chrome bumpers -- OR -- bumper-free

• Roll bar

• Removable hardtop in 3 versions:

• short top like regular 55-57 top

• Fastback hatchback top

• Double headrest rear deck

I have a T-Bird kit and some Cobra parts set aside, but it's never been built.

So the artist, you and me have all had much the same idea.

Sounds like a well thought out and good plan Richard!! Would love to see yours come to fruition someday!!! Mine has many of the characteristics of yours. Set back engine, will have dual roll bars, irs rear suspension from the Cobra, not sure if mine will have bumperettes or void of bumpers. Still deciding that one. Thought of cutting the Cobra ones into a different config. Oh and of course I went with the 427 base because,,, well need more power!!! LOL

On my work table right now, I already have 6 Cobras, 2 Cougar IIs, a GT350R, a Toyota Celica Turbo Group 5 and a Toyota Celica Coupe racer. So I'm not in a real hurry to start another project right now. But the T-Bird would fit right in with the Cobra group. I have a Tiger kit to build too. Another Shelby project, and I was on the crew of a famous one of those in full scale back in the 60s. Then I have a 68 GT500 that will get chassis, front inner fenders, etc. from a 67 kit. Then another 67GT350 to build like a full scale 67 GT350 that I was on the crew of many years ago. So I have plenty of such projects lined up over here. And that's not counting the dry lakes cars, sprint cars, midgets, hot rods or off road racers.

I had hand written out those notes above back in the late 1960s. I found the paper a few years ago and transcribed it to the computer. I even had lined out that one suspension idea and copied that in the Word document. I even saw the thing back in the 60s with a paint scheme of either blue with white stripes as shown in that drawing you show, or white with blue stripes.

I think my concept would wind up looking a great deal like a Sunbeam Tiger. And maybe that was inspiration for the Sunbeam body (originally the Sunbeam Alpine) design came from.

The Tiger I crewed for was fast. Beat Corvettes and even Cobras in it's day. But it didn't handle as well as a Cobra due to the engine being mounted much further forward between the front wheels, so it pushed in corners, unlike the better balanced Cobra.

Compare this Tiger I crewed on with a T-Bird:

Sunbeam_Tiger_HollywoodSports Cars_0048-DV-07_MH_04.jpg

Edited by DustyMojave

On 12/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, DustyMojave said:

On my work table right now, I already have 6 Cobras, 2 Cougar IIs, a GT350R, a Toyota Celica Turbo Group 5 and a Toyota Celica Coupe racer. So I'm not in a real hurry to start another project right now. But the T-Bird would fit right in with the Cobra group. I have a Tiger kit to build too. Another Shelby project, and I was on the crew of a famous one of those in full scale back in the 60s. Then I have a 68 GT500 that will get chassis, front inner fenders, etc. from a 67 kit. Then another 67GT350 to build like a full scale 67 GT350 that I was on the crew of many years ago. So I have plenty of such projects lined up over here. And that's not counting the dry lakes cars, sprint cars, midgets, hot rods or off road racers.

I had hand written out those notes above back in the late 1960s. I found the paper a few years ago and transcribed it to the computer. I even had lined out that one suspension idea and copied that in the Word document. I even saw the thing back in the 60s with a paint scheme of either blue with white stripes as shown in that drawing you show, or white with blue stripes.

I think my concept would wind up looking a great deal like a Sunbeam Tiger. And maybe that was inspiration for the Sunbeam body (originally the Sunbeam Alpine) design came from.

The Tiger I crewed for was fast. Beat Corvettes and even Cobras in it's day. But it didn't handle as well as a Cobra due to the engine being mounted much further forward between the front wheels, so it pushed in corners, unlike the better balanced Cobra.

Compare this Tiger I crewed on with a T-Bird:

Sunbeam_Tiger_HollywoodSports Cars_0048-DV-07_MH_04.jpg

Sounds like you have some kool projects in the making and lined up to go. Do you have pics online of any?

I had to strip the base coat of white I had in it. Paint wouldn’t dry and was rubbery so I sanded it all back down to primer and bought a different primer to use. Will not use that two in one stuff anymore!! So now I need to wet sand the primer and prime again. I have the blue picked out for it and will tape off the stripes before the blue goes on...

33 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

I had to strip the base coat of white I had in it. Paint wouldn’t dry and was rubbery so I sanded it all back down to primer and bought a different primer to use. Will not use that two in one stuff anymore!! So now I need to wet sand the primer and prime again. I have the blue picked out for it and will tape off the stripes before the blue goes on...

If you are talking about the Rustoleum 2X paint, it takes forever to dry. I have sprayed bodies and waited 2 weeks for them to cure before I did any sanding. It can give you a great paint job, and the color selection is great, but you must be able to wait a long time for the paint to be ready to work with. I have a dehydrator and it helps, but I have no temp control on it, so I have to be very careful. 

Even here in the desert where it is hot and dry, that stuff takes a while to cure before its ready to sand. 

20 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

If you are talking about the Rustoleum 2X paint, it takes forever to dry. I have sprayed bodies and waited 2 weeks for them to cure before I did any sanding. It can give you a great paint job, and the color selection is great, but you must be able to wait a long time for the paint to be ready to work with. I have a dehydrator and it helps, but I have no temp control on it, so I have to be very careful. 

Even here in the desert where it is hot and dry, that stuff takes a while to cure before its ready to sand. 

That'd be the stuff. Mine had been drying for a bit over two weeks and was still rubbery so I sanded it... I have a dehydrator too but no where to use it.. lol

13 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

Great idea an execution!

Thank ya Ralph!!

Wet sanded it today and shoot another coat of primer on it tonight!!

On 12/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, DrKerry said:

Sounds like you have some kool projects in the making and lined up to go. Do you have pics online of any?

"On my work table right now, I already have 6 Cobras, 2 Cougar IIs, a GT350R, a Toyota Celica Turbo Group 5 and a Toyota Celica Coupe racer. So I'm not in a real hurry to start another project right now. But the T-Bird would fit right in with the Cobra group. I have a Tiger kit to build too. Another Shelby project, and I was on the crew of a famous one of those in full scale back in the 60s. Then I have a 68 GT500 that will get chassis, front inner fenders, etc. from a 67 kit. Then another 67GT350 to build like a full scale 67 GT350 that I was on the crew of many years ago. So I have plenty of such projects lined up over here. And that's not counting the dry lakes cars, sprint cars, midgets, hot rods or off road racers. "

I think they're cool.

I had intended to post up about a couple of them on another site...Had started a thread on another build, a 69 Barracuda phantom A/Sedan...But... I'd rather NOT air someone else's dirty laundry on this site. Race cars are fun and exciting, but skidmarks are not pleasant to see, especially someone else's.