Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Lamborghini Miura

Steve Geer

Last build of 2020 . . . This is an ancient MPC Lamborghini Miura kit (an SV/J model, although that info isn’t noted anywhere) which has been resting in my stash since I opened the box and started it in ‘79 or ‘80.   

Despite wearing the MPC label, it’s clearly a re-packaging of some kit from the orient, being a quasi-curbside with posable front wheels and some engraved engine detail (which is unfortunately invisible under the fixed rear window louvers).  It’s one of those designed-to-be-motorized models with virtually no chassis detail and an oddly compromised interior but, hey – it has a nifty tray up front, in case one ever wishes to hide a couple AA batteries.  Nonetheless, the shape and proportions are pleasing (what Miura isn’t?), if not entirely accurate, and overall, it looks fairly nice as a shelf model. 

The azure pearl color is a custom lacquer mix I brewed up — inspired by the shade of a one-off Miura I spotted on the internet. The room lighting makes it appear almost “Petty Blue” in the photos, but it isn’t . . . On top of that, Automotive Touchup clear coat was used, followed by a light polishing. The window edge trim is BMF while most everything else was brush-paint detailed. Assembled box-stock with two exceptions: The kit’s pseudo BBS-type rims were replaced with some cast white metal, Diablo-style wheels (Fujimi, I think . . . ?) with 2-prong knock-offs from my spares and I omitted the airfoil/wing over the cab.

Quick and simple build . . . and it only took 40 years to finish.  ?

Thanks for looking.

05_box-interior-engine.jpg

01_front right.jpg

03_passenger side.jpg

02_rear left.jpg

04_driver side.jpg

Glad to see this one built up. I have this kit and since proportions are a bit clunky I've been reluctant to invest the time into building it. Seeing yours gives me ideas for what I could do with mine. Color is great and reminds me of the rare blue offered on '86 Pontiac Fieros.

077e1d809162b0ddfc4975bcd71a3659--my-wife-pontiac-fiero.jpg.ed95798727135c2e2f8784ee45d662e6.jpg

On 12/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, cobraman said:

Looks very nice. Reminds me of a Otaki kit.

Thank you, Ray . . . given all the Cobra re-packagings you've no doubt seen, I'll take your word and check out the Otaki kit.  It'd be fun to be build another . . . and I might not take 4 decades to do it ?

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Good looking model. Great color..

Thanks, Carl . . . appreciate the kind words.  The paint started out as a bottle of icy blue nail polish and I just kept mixing clear blue and pearl essence until I lost control.  Glad you liked the color.

5 hours ago, Bainford said:

This may be the nicest build I have seen of that series of MPC sports cars. Well done. I built a few of them in the 70s, but didn't do this one.

Thanks, Trevor . . . those MPC sports car kits were prevalent back in the 70''s, but after buying this one, I was pretty disappointed in the curbside approach so I left them alone.  Hope you hung on to yours -- they're kind of cool historical artifacts nowadays. 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool model, it looks great!

152600C0-3199-4FF7-AC5E-660DADC40FC3.jpeg.336d4f28321c3748b799424f34b45e79.jpeg

My first experience with a Miura was Matchbox cars!  Here’s my original I’ve had since 6th grade.. 1970!  And even as a kid I couldn’t leave well enough alone.. I detail painted it.

Outstanding, Tom -- that's a little sweetheart!  Like a first romance, its good to cherish and remember.  IMHO, the Miura is one of the most beautiful sports cars of the 70's - maybe of all time.

The Ferrari BB512 still exists as my oldest surviving build. It also holds the distinction of being the first model at which I pointed an airbrush. By them I had already built the Countach and the Ferrari Rainbow, and was disappointed at having wasted my very precious allowance on such basic kits. The BB512 was a Christmas gift, and having already been burnt on the MPC sports cars, it became my airbrush guinnie pig. It was also when I learned red plastic bleeds through white paint.

10 minutes ago, Steve Geer said:

Thanks, Trevor . . . those MPC sports car kits were prevalent back in the 70''s, but after buying this one, I was pretty disappointed in the curbside approach so I left them alone.  Hope you hung on to yours -- they're kind of cool historical artifacts nowadays. 

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Glad to see this one built up. I have this kit and since proportions are a bit clunky I've been reluctant to invest the time into building it. Seeing yours gives me ideas for what I could do with mine. Color is great and reminds me of the rare blue offered on '86 Pontiac Fieros.

077e1d809162b0ddfc4975bcd71a3659--my-wife-pontiac-fiero.jpg.ed95798727135c2e2f8784ee45d662e6.jpg

Thank you, Mike --  I agree about the proportions and I think that's part of what kept me from building it for so long.  I'd dig it out, look at it then decide I didn't want the headache of fixing the deficiencies so back in the box it went.   I have a Hasegawa Miura in my stash and its a far more accurate kit but also a lot more complex build.  Hopefully someday . . .  btw, I loved that Fiero color -- I bought a red SE when they came out in '84 and always wanted to repaint it once the later colors appeared.

12 minutes ago, Bainford said:

The Ferrari BB512 still exists as my oldest surviving build. It also holds the distinction of being the first model at which I pointed an airbrush. By them I had already built the Countach and the Ferrari Rainbow, and was disappointed at having wasted my very precious allowance on such basic kits. The BB512 was a Christmas gift, and having already been burnt on the MPC sports cars, it became my airbrush guinnie pig. It was also when I learned red plastic bleeds through white paint.

Uh oh . . .!  Thanks (I think?) for the brain-jog.  I suddenly recall building that MPC BB512 also and, coincidentally, mine was also a gift.  Definitely falls into the 'forgettable' category.  You used yours better . . . .?   

MPC BB512.jpg