Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell VW T2 bus

Luc Janssens

What matters to me is that the subject matter - the second generation VW bus/van - has never before been the subject of a plastic model kit.  Revell have proven in the past that a well detailed snap kit can be successful, and from the looks of the photos of this kit, it looks like they have done it again.  I'm looking forward to this one, not only to review for the pages of MCM, but to build for myself!

Cheers, all.

I was excited by the t1 camper but this one will be straight on the bench when it arrives. I have lots of good memories of family holidays in my families old one. One that stands out is a very expensive toilet break after the starter solenoid gave up. One membership of the AA (automobile association in the uk, not the 12 steps lot) and the man in the yellow van turned up, tapped the solenoid with a small hammer and she started right up. We also managed to get lost in carlisle so followed a bus that was heading to the campsite only to end up even more lost when it turned into its yard. Then on the forth road bridge, at the toll booth she puked her guts out of the engine so we had to be towed off the bridge by a police car. Actually looking back on it our bus was a bit of a wreck but then it had been around the world with the previous owner who I believe bought it new in canada. It was fun as kid to get stopped for underage driving only for the cops to realise it was lhd. I think we went through 8 engines in the time we owned it. We went through engines so often we modified the panel under the decklid to be removable which helped a lot when we swapped engines in the car park of an uro store.

Thinking about it, Revell have done really nice snap kits before. The early 90s Caprice Taxi/Fire Chief car comes to mind. very well detailed, big parts count.

So many options for building this one up.

BTTF for sure, but I think I would try this one.

1978 Champagne Edition.

Back in high school, a good friend of mine had the family van passed down to her. Spent a lot of time bombing around and roadtripping in that thing. And she still has it.

Guessing it currently doesn't look as good as this one though.

0.jpg.769f73546c6575ac572ad3466170fcd7.jpg

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Thinking about it, Revell have done really nice snap kits before. The early 90s Caprice Taxi/Fire Chief car comes to mind. very well detailed, big parts count.

So many options for building this one up.

BTTF for sure, but I think I would try this one.

1978 Champagne Edition.

Back in high school, a good friend of mine had the family van passed down to her. Spent a lot of time bombing around and roadtripping in that thing. And she still has it.

Guessing it currently doesn't look as good as this one though.

0.jpg.769f73546c6575ac572ad3466170fcd7.jpg

I have been returning to this pic all day and staring at it. I have never seen so many 1970s colors in the same place at one time, not even the Brady's kitchen. And I was present through the entire 1970s.

I think that a lot of the "Porsche-powered" buses were thrown away after the third or fourth engine failure. The parts prices were just too much for these compared to the earlier carbureted 1600 dual-ports and the domestic manufacturers were turning out halfway decent vans with actual air conditioning.

45 minutes ago, Danno said:

"I have never seen so many 1970s colors in the same place at one time, not even the Brady's kitchen."

ROTFLMAO.  Absolutely great line, Steve!!

??

Thanks. I thought their kitchen was amazing at the time, and that the white tile and oak cabinets at my folks' house was lame. Not so much anymore...

On 12/18/2020 at 4:00 AM, stitchdup said:

I dont mind the revell snappers, i've built a few of the tractors and hey turned out decent. I'm hoping revell will do a a version with the low indicators, longer grille and rounded bumpers too or someone in the aftermarket comes out with those parts

Hopefully that's why Revell have moulded the front panel separately 

20201216_115331.jpg

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

For the not so into VW folks, what year or years is this bus anyway? 

It depends on which country you're from. The t2 bus got different bumper and indicator locations depending on what year and country it was sold in. Going purely by the ouside appearance it could for example be a 68 USA bus, but a 76 UK bus. I'm not saying its either of those, just that there are quite a few options it could be, and with very few changes it could realisticly be any year of production, but the larger rear lights suggest its most likely later in the production run

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

It depends on which country you're from. The t2 bus got different bumper and indicator locations depending on what year and country it was sold in. Going purely by the ouside appearance it could for example be a 68 USA bus, but a 76 UK bus. I'm not saying its either of those, just that there are quite a few options it could be, and with very few changes it could realisticly be any year of production, but the larger rear lights suggest its most likely later in the production run

USA late mid 70's is when we used to cruise around with a friend of my Dads. 

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

For the not so into VW folks, what year or years is this bus anyway? 

As it has the front indicator lamps higher up beside the fresh air grille, it's a 1972 onwards T2,before '72 the lamps were much lower down on the front panel. 

There's other things that are different from the earlier model, squared off non wrap around bumpers and flared wheel arches. 

Edited by GeeBee