Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Turbo Trans Am

AMT68

Monogram 1/24 scale Turbo Trans Am painted in Tamiya TS-92 Metallic Orange and top coated in TS-13 gloss clear. While the decals looked good they are 40 years old so I didn't attempt to apply them. And for whatever reason I couldn't get the sport mirrors to sit correctly even after a bit of sanding. I'm not always inclined to install side mirrors anyway as I sometimes prefer the look without them. The tail lights which are supposed to be painted black instead are transparent red over a silver base with a few coats of Testors window maker. A few more coats of that product would probably create a better "lens" appearance. I couldn't get the Pontiac "crest" on the front detailed to my liking so it's just chrome foil and no red detail.  Fairly rare kit that to my knowledge has never been reissued assembles well and is very crisply detailed. 

DSC_1294.JPG

DSC_1299 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1309 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1320 - Copy.JPG

Edited by AMT68

30 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Looks good in that color!

6 minutes ago, kelson said:

I think it was backdated into the 70'T/A ,but a great color choice!!,it almost looks like a  factory color!.

Thanks Craig and Curtis. I thought this color wasn't too bad of a match for 1980's Fiero Bronze.  It's a good possibility that it was backdated and I've wondered if the reason this kit wasn't reissued was due to the fact that the Turbo T/A's weren't popular with the performance enthusiasts then and now. 

19 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Darn good looking model.

Thanks Ray,

24 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Really great job there Tom. love my TransAms.

Thanks Mike. Of the second generation Trans Am the '76 and the '80-'81 models were my favorites. 

4 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Looks sharp in the Metallic Orange Tom! Don't worry about those decals. They'll still work fine. I built the same kit a few years ago and they worked fine. I think they would look nice on that color!

Thanks Roger. I am still debating the decals and they would be a match with the metallic orange. I referred back to your beautiful red example while building this one. I liked how you lowered the exhaust tips and added the rust wash to the turbocharger which are two areas I still have to figure out how to complete. 

1 hour ago, AMT68 said:

Thanks Craig and Curtis. I thought this color wasn't too bad of a match for 1980's Fiero Bronze.  It's a good possibility that it was backdated and I've wondered if the reason this kit wasn't reissued was due to the fact that the Turbo T/A's weren't popular with the performance enthusiasts then and now. 

I miss this kit. The turbo assembly was miles ahead of the MPC kit. Forever I've wanted to make an accurate 80 Indy Pace Car with it. Maybe a Smokey and the Bandit 2 as well.

Hopefully I'll stumble across one or two  someday.

27 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I miss this kit. The turbo assembly was miles ahead of the MPC kit. Forever I've wanted to make an accurate 80 Indy Pace Car with it. Maybe a Smokey and the Bandit 2 as well.

Hopefully I'll stumble across one or two  someday.

I've seen that MPC Indy Car Firebird on ebay but never purchased one. Didn't realize that kit lacked the accuracy in terms of the turbocharging system. 

Great looking color and finish. The interior is very OEM looking also. I like the clean uncluttered look without the decals. These had beautiful body lines and with the factory decals they have to many different styling  elements going on. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking color and finish. The interior is very OEM looking also. I like the clean uncluttered look without the decals. These had beautiful body lines and with the factory decals they have to many different styling  elements going on. 

Thanks David. I always liked these cars with a buckskin/tan interior whereas a '73 or a '74 Firebird I'd prefer with a white interior. I like the look without the decals but it is still a debate. Maybe I'll just build another one in this color with decals so I can decide....lol. 

6 hours ago, RAMBENNA said:

love it these are my favorite , I owned a 79 TA, so always a soft spot for me. great color and great build.

Thanks Cliff. I remember the popularity of these cars when new and the interest in them has never diminished.