Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th scale 1985 Corvette

Oldmopars

I have always loved the 1985 Corvette. Back in 1985 I got this kit, I was 15. I don't remember doing too much painting to it, I think I just built it. Well this time around I want to do it up right. 

I am working on adding details to it and trying to replicate the real thing as much as possible. I started with the engine. I added the A.I.R. pipes to the manifolds, fixed the A/C pump and added lines, added heater hoses and power steering hoses. I also fixed the poor P/S pump by adding a correct back to it. 

The kit, being 35 years old had some warpage, so I had to heat the hood and do some fine fitting to get it right. 

The engine is almost done, I am now working on the engine bay, adding details and fixing issues. This one is going to take me a while. I have lost count of the hours just into the engine.

IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

Oooh! Very nice! I'll be checking this out as I have a built-up of this kit I won at our club's raffle years ago.

Some don't like this gen of 'Vette, but I've liked the looks of them.....especially the later ones with the rounded tail.

I'd have to paint the roof section on mine gloss black though. To my eyes, it's just looks a bit better with the "glass" roof" than body color, but that's just me. 

Keep up the nice work!

Thanks, I have always love the early versions. I as going to buy one a few years back, but it was a 93 and I jut did not like the interior. I really like the very 80's look and feel of the 84-89. I keep looking for the right one. Someday the right car at the right price will find me. 

My father restored Corvettes during the 80's and I think that is where my love affair with them started. He worked at a Chevrolet dealer when the 84 came out. 

I owned 2 of these kits for 20 years. My cousin passed them down to me back in the early 90’s when I was about 12. A few years ago I sold them on eBay knowing I’d never build them. But, I looked through them a handful of times so I’m familiar enough to say that you did a killer job on the engine! 

What kit is that?

I owned the real thing, altho it was '89 model. I built it up and it almost killed me. The real car that is. Altho iconic in 1985, it's a horrible car in many ways. 

I would still like to take a stab at this kit, especially if it's 1/8th scale. 

14 minutes ago, mrm said:

What kit is that?

I owned the real thing, altho it was '89 model. I built it up and it almost killed me. The real car that is. Altho iconic in 1985, it's a horrible car in many ways. 

Monogram. Kinda pricey when they turn up on eBay (like a lot of 1/8th's) but deals can be found.

That engine looks like it could have just come out of my '88 which is taking its winter nap in the garage waiting for summer to come. (They don't drive well in the snow and ice of western Canada). You've done well and I look forward to following the rest of your build.

4 hours ago, mrm said:

What kit is that?

Yes, this is the Monogram 1/8th kit. I also have the IROC Camero and the 1982 Corvette from Monogram in 1/8th scale. And, yes, they are not cheap. Plan to spend over $100 for a started kit in a beat up box, and $200+ for a kit in a decent sealed box. Deals can be had, but this is a start. 

I recently found a Revell 3 in 1 1/8th scale 1932 Ford kit at an antique shop for $189. I thought that this a a lot of money. I then have been looking for them on E-Bay and they are all $300+. I may jut go get it a it is a fair price. 

For me, I look at them a an investment in my entertainment. They ill never be worth any real money once build, but I get a lot of enjoyment and spend many many hours working on them.  

I am also looking for any other 1/8th kits. I have the Lindberg Big Red Rod, but am looking for the Jaguar, 1978 and 1965 Corvettes, T-Buckets and 32 Fords, or anything else that I may not know about.

I like some of the Pocher kit, but too rich for me, unless it is a smoking deal. 

Edited by Oldmopars

That engine work is off the hook ! Brings back MANY fond memories ; that kit , and the 1985 IROC Camaro ----- just fun and wonderful kits . The tyres alone are amazing ; excellent execution of those VR50 Gatorbacks .

My paternal grandmother bought that 1/8 scale kit (and a grip of Testors paints) for me for Christmas 1984 . You could have knocked me over with a feather ! It was a super expensive kit ( I believe that she gave $50 for it in 1984 dollars [ !! ] , having purchased it at Hinshaw's Department Store [ a high-end store in Whittier , Ca. ] ) . I couldn't wait to tear-into it ! 

Unfortunately , the 1987 Whittier Earthquake destroyed it .

I'd love to give it another go... my 50 year old eyes would welcome a large-scale kit ! I'm just concerned about buying one from eBay , and having it shipped in skin-flint packaging .

But , I digress...

Keep up the GREAT work !

On 12/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, Oldmopars said:

Yes, this is the Monogram 1/8th kit. I also have the IROC Camero and the 1982 Corvette from Monogram in 1/8th scale. And, yes, they are not cheap. Plan to spend over $100 for a started kit in a beat up box, and $200+ for a kit in a decent sealed box. Deals can be had, but this is a start. 

I recently found a Revell 3 in 1 1/8th scale 1932 Ford kit at an antique shop for $189. I thought that this a a lot of money. I then have been looking for them on E-Bay and they are all $300+. I may jut go get it a it is a fair price. 

For me, I look at them a an investment in my entertainment. They ill never be worth any real money once build, but I get a lot of enjoyment and spend many many hours working on them.  

I am also looking for any other 1/8th kits. I have the Lindberg Big Red Rod, but am looking for the Jaguar, 1978 and 1965 Corvettes, T-Buckets and 32 Fords, or anything else that I may not know about.

I like some of the Pocher kit, but too rich for me, unless it is a smoking deal. 

I tried my hand at a few when I was a kid, and proceeded to ruin them. So I started collecting them again, hoping to do them justice.  I have a restorable 78 Corvette that I want to do up as the pace car.  I also have the Jaguar and the 65 Corvette.  Thanks to a good friend,  I now have a 32 Ford as well. The one that I really want, but no way I can afford, is the 1979 Trans Am. 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, tobaccoleafpie said:

Finished pics?  I’m completing one now.

Oh, I wish. I have to many irons in the fire right now. I’ve reached a point on this one where I am deciding on what details I want to add. I don’t want to rush it and be sorry about it later. 
I also have my Cannonball entry and my BRBO truck to finish up. 
I would love to see some pictures of yours. It is one of my all time favorite cars, so let’s see what you did. 

I'll be following this one as well. I had this kit and the '85 IROC kit back in the late 80's too, but never fully built either as they were too big to display and wouldn't fit back in the box when finished. My older brother did finish the '79 Trans Am in that scale, but leaving it on his dresser after finishing it only led to many disastrous nose-dives to the floor, lol.