Model Cars Magazine Forum

I can't remember the last time I started an aircraft model. Sheesh! What's it been now........five years?? Just haven't felt comfortable with my painting and weathering skills until the finish up of my Ar 234 last year. Additionally, automotive modeling has given me a new spin on airbrushing. Well....I guess it's about time to bust out with one huh? Seeing John's build in progress has spurred me on to take on one of my all time fave jet aircraft......the Me-262.

We'll be going with Tamiya's offering So.....let's dance.

Always in need of more detail so I picked this little kit up to go with it.

On 12/23/2020 at 4:38 AM, bisc63 said:

Nice choice! Looking forward to your progress on this one; a great looking jet even today! I have a few of the classic Monogram 1/48 kits, and they can build nicely, but I'm really anxious to see how this one looks. Following.

If you're thinking of trying a Tamiya aircraft kit, AFAIK all of them are little jewels of kit engineering.  The Tamiya He-219 "Uhu" kit even has the cockpit walls and nosewheel well molded in metal.  No tail sitting and no need to add weight!

I have this Me262 A2 version, with the Kettenkrad tow vehicle.  Another sneaky way to avoid tail-sitting without adding weight.

me262.jpg

I have the two seater Revell offering and I am interested in learning about aviation modeling so I have watched a great many hours of Scale-A-ton and Plasmo on Youtube. I highly recommend them both as they are top flight builders who are not afraid to share their techniques with the world.

I'll be watching this closely.

Hey Joe, it makes me weird to find you in this category my friend, I got to know you on this forum thanks to the build of your Maverick.  I haven't built a plane since I was 10 or 12, so I'm really out of my element here.   However, I have to admit that you prove that you are a very good modelist with an open mind and that the most important thing is to have a good time at your favorite hobby!   No matter what you build, I will come and see your progress from time to time, I have no doubt it will be done very well!

Happy new year buddy!

On 12/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Dragline said:

I have the two seater Revell offering and I am interested in learning about aviation modeling so I have watched a great many hours of Scale-A-ton and Plasmo on Youtube. I highly recommend them both as they are top flight builders who are not afraid to share their techniques with the world.

I'll be watching this closely.

Thanks for dropping in Bob! Is that two seater Revell the 1/32 scale kit? 

On 1/2/2021 at 9:55 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hey Joe, it makes me weird to find you in this category my friend, I got to know you on this forum thanks to the build of your Maverick.  I haven't built a plane since I was 10 or 12, so I'm really out of my element here.   However, I have to admit that you prove that you are a very good modelist with an open mind and that the most important thing is to have a good time at your favorite hobby!   No matter what you build, I will come and see your progress from time to time, I have no doubt it will be done very well!

Happy new year buddy!

Thank you for checking in as well Francis! Really glad to have you along.  This is where my roots are in modeling. Aircraft are what I know and love and it's been a LONG time since I've ventured back into that arena.

I built this 1/48 scale Fw190D-9 around 7 years ago and it's the best aircraft build that I've ever turned out so for me.....it's gonna be a tough act to follow in order to top it....BUT....I'll give it a whirl.

spacer.png

The Messerschmitt 262 is one of my favorite aircraft of all times in regards to the early jet age. This thing was way ahead of its time.

Fuselage cut from sprues, cleaning up the halves and test fitting the interior tomorrow....

Ok gang...I've been working on this aircraft all friggin' week now. I've been busy getting rid of the interior detail/ ribbing from the inside of both halves of the fuselage in order to fit the AM pieces in here. After accomplishing that and test fitting it's looking pretty good from about every angle so far.

Details removed:

The interior tub, side panels and rear wall of the gear bay fit well.

I fitted the original rear wall in place to see how high it sat above the fuselage to ensure a proper wing fit to the fuselage. Here's the stock / OOB height:

and the height with the Aires AM piece fitted in. Looks good from here:

So.....I tried my luck with the wing test fit. I think I'm good here:

I know the Tamiya model cars are of exceptional quality so I guess their aircraft kit is above average quality?  There are many manufacturers in this field, where do you situate Tamiya compared to others in this field?   Your kit looks very nice and crisp, but your good work can only make it look good... ?

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I know the Tamiya model cars are of exceptional quality so I guess their aircraft kit is above average quality?  There are many manufacturers in this field, where do you situate Tamiya compared to others in this field?   Your kit looks very nice and crisp, but your good work can only make it look good... ?

Thank you so very much for poppin' in Francis!! Actually , Tamiya is among the easiest aircraft kits out there to build and have outstanding detail right out of the box.  Sometimes they get a few details wrong but that can be side stepped pretty easily.  As far as aftermarket stuff goes .....a good Aires set ALWAYS help bring out the best in these builds.

Hi Joe, interesting build for you. I used to build airplanes but because of wingspans they take up a good bit of room displaying them. It is amazing all the aftermarket detail parts that available for them.

Are you gonna paint it the mottled camo?  I'll be watching with interest.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, TransAmMike said:

Hi Joe, interesting build for you. I used to build airplanes but because of wingspans they take up a good bit of room displaying them. It is amazing all the aftermarket detail parts that available for them.

Are you gonna paint it the mottled camo?  I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks Mike. Yessirree!! Mottle camo all the way. 

You're right about all the AM parts for warbirds. It's just endless.

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Oh man, that is looking SO good!

Thanks Rusty. I haven't started an aircraft build in over 4 years now. The last one I did was an Arado 234 and that build was stopped dead in its tracks by the difficulty of getting the nose onto the fuselage. Hasegawa really turned out a great kit overall but that part of it really sucked and left me scratching my head for 3 years before I could come back to it with a fresh start and finish it last year. . That build left a bad taste in my mouth after encountering that problem and had been a block since in moving forward with aircraft builds. I figured that Tamiya would definitely be the way forward in stepping back into aircraft modeling again.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, Mike999 said:

If you're thinking of trying a Tamiya aircraft kit, AFAIK all of them are little jewels of kit engineering.  The Tamiya He-219 "Uhu" kit even has the cockpit walls and nosewheel well molded in metal.  No tail sitting and no need to add weight!

I have this Me262 A2 version, with the Kettenkrad tow vehicle.  Another sneaky way to avoid tail-sitting without adding weight.

me262.jpg

I meant to comment back to you on this Mike. I've seen that kit and you're right, that IS a good way of getting the nose to stay on the ground. I may have to pick up one of those lil' Kettenkraftrads to display it with.