Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Joe, great start to the Messerschmitt, I will be watching this as well. I don't need to tell you nose weight is critical on these nose wheel birds . I built a P-38 and didn't add quite enough , consequently if I  don't display it in the right place

, it sits on it's tail. I know these are aftermarket metal nose wheels that might help. I do like the tractor idea although is dose limit you to how you can display it. I think you should do  both IMHO. Great work by the way.

Jerry

37 minutes ago, Nazz said:

Hey Joe, great start to the Messerschmitt, I will be watching this as well. I don't need to tell you nose weight is critical on these nose wheel birds . I built a P-38 and didn't add quite enough , consequently if I  don't display it in the right place

, it sits on it's tail. I know these are aftermarket metal nose wheels that might help. I do like the tractor idea although is dose limit you to how you can display it. I think you should do  both IMHO. Great work by the way.

Jerry

Thank you for the comments Jerry. Have you seen the new Tamiya P-38? Man those kits look awesome!!! 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:57 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You who love details, you have for your hollow tooth my friend!   Several hours of work but it's worth it, well done my friend, look real.

Thanks Francis. Been working on the cockpit for the last week now. LOTS of details in that too. Hopefully I'll have pictures by this weekend. Really appreciate you stopping in pal. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a flippin' WEEK this is what I've got. Seat belts, rudder pivot and pedals all installed. The belts were Eduard color parts that I took the liberty of weathering up a bit as well as weathering the whole cockpit area. This whole instrument panel ordeal that's coming up is gonna be a pretty big task. I have the Eduard color IP but it aint gonna work with the Aires IP. No cheating for me on this go round with that as it's gonna be down to the nitty gritty with the detail painting. 

Ya know fellas....the one thing that I absolutely cannot stand is when I buy something and then go and LOOSE it. I bought the decals for "White 3" and now can't for the life of me find them anywhere. I already know what's gonna happen too.....I'm gonna buy a set and then the day after I apply them ....I'm going to find the original set. Happens every single time. 

Anyways....progress.....

On 2/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, TransAmMike said:

Hi Joe, just checked in on this build...... coming along nicely as  I have come to expect from you.👌

Thanks Mike.

I've still got some touch ups to do and some more parts to install but I did manage to get some progress done on this ....

BUWkln.jpg

zfJmgi.jpg

Abb8x1.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Mike.

I've still got some touch ups to do and some more parts to install but I did manage to get some progress done on this ...

Well it's just so cool, always liked highly detailed model airplane cockpits!!

Thanks Mike. It's definitely been a while but I've been watching others and taking notes. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW, that's a real nicely detailed cockpit Joe, very convincing my friend!

You who love the details, you get what you pay for, there are as many details on the back as on the front of the dashboard...  Very different from car kits, isn't it?

Thank you Francis! And thanks for tagging along pal. It's not really all that different....just alot smaller. lol

Some progress on the gun platform. Got some more detailing and weathering to do in here but had to post a pic to let you guys know that I'm still progressing with this build. I'll be away from the bench as our family will be out of town for the next week on vacation so I felt that I needed to have some sorta progress goin' anyways. lol

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

My goodness, that is coming along fantastically! 

Thanks Mike! It's been a while since I've been in here due to working 7 days a week for a straight month. Our family went on vacation last week so I was away from the bench for  a week. I've been able to fit some bench time in over the course of the last month though.

Gun bay is completely assembled, painted and weathered. In real life this was one of the most formidable weapons platforms in an aircraft at that time. Four Mk 108 30mm cannon angled so that all rounds were set to converge at 450 meters. Really packed a punch.

Edited by mustang1989

Just to show some progress at the bench. I've managed to get the fuselage halves joined together. I've just got the upper nose panels press fitted into place during the whole body work/ painting process. Sanding and filling are at a premium here.....

One thing I do NOT miss about aircraft modeling is seam filling in small areas. The seam line going down the middle of the bird was interrupted by these small panels in front of the windscreen soooooooooooo.....gotta take care of the seam lines on the panels themselves. I'll be using my tried and true super glue filling method on these and then I'll rescribe the panel lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to some issues at work, my time on the forums has been limited but I'm trying to make a comeback. I have not, however, given up bench time. 

Of the Tamiya kits that I have put together, I haven't yet seen one with such a bad fit between the fuselage/ wing join areas....until now. I've been sanding all week long and will produce some photos of the results when I'm done with that process. 

Here's the pics of what I'm up against though. A most terrible fit for such a good kit. At first I thought it was due to the aftermarket landing gear bay pieces but all of those clear the inside of the wing bottom. Dunno what it was but in any case.....I had my work cut out for me.

and the topside aint any better...